Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RV Camping in Extreme Weather Conditions

RV Camping in Extreme Weather Conditions
    RV camping can be a fun and exciting adventure, but it can also be challenging when you're dealing with extreme weather conditions. Here are some tips to help you stay safe and comfortable during extreme weather while RV camping:
    Be prepared for the weather: Before you go RV camping, check the weather forecast for the area you'll be visiting. Bring appropriate clothing, gear, and supplies for the conditions you'll be facing.
    Choose a suitable campsite: Look for a campsite that offers some protection from the elements, such as trees or a natural windbreak. Avoid campsites in low-lying areas where water can accumulate during heavy rain or snow.
    Insulate your RV: Make sure your RV is well-insulated to keep the cold or heat out. You can add extra insulation to the walls, windows, and doors, and use draft stoppers to keep cold air from entering.
    Use a portable hand warmer: If your RV doesn't have a built-in heating or cooling system, consider using a rechargeable hand warmer. Rechargeable hand warmers, such as the Ocoopa Union 2s, with four heat settings, they can be adjusted to suit changing temperatures. They also have a long battery life of over 8 hours on low, making them ideal for longer winter outdoor activities.
    Keep your RV well-ventilated: Even in extreme weather conditions, it's important to keep your RV well-ventilated to prevent condensation and mold. Use a dehumidifier or open windows and vents to let in fresh air.
    Use a weather radio: In case of severe weather, it's important to stay informed. A weather radio can provide you with up-to-date information about any weather warnings or alerts in your area.
    Keep emergency supplies on hand: Be prepared for power outages or other emergencies by keeping emergency supplies on hand, such as extra food, water, batteries, and a first aid kit.
    Know when to stay put: If you're facing extreme weather conditions, it's important to know when to stay put and wait it out. Don't try to drive in hazardous conditions, and avoid going outside if there's a risk of lightning or other dangerous weather.
    Attached Files

Extreme weather RV camping requires thorough preparation. In hot conditions, ensure reliable air conditioning and stay hydrated. In cold weather, insulation and heating are crucial. Secure your campsite in rainy or windy conditions. Prioritize safety and have a backup plan in case of worsening conditions.

Comment

Great tips already shared about RV camping in extreme weather. A few additional things I’d recommend. All-weather floor mats inside the RV make cleaning a breeze when boots are wet or muddy. Extra blankets, a portable heater and lots of warm clothes/layers go a long way on chilly trips. Above all, stay safe out there and don't take unnecessary risks in bad conditions. You can always reschedule your trip for another time.

Comment

Keep the cellphone charged and if you travel off road; have the phone number of an off road towing/recovery company handy (can be very/incredibly expensive)... invest in a good winch with accessories and bring at least one friend in a capable vehicle... (to rescue you).
        In my experience most SUVs, RVs and pickups can't get all that far off road in "extreme conditions" before getting stuck; some on the way to the trailhead.

I use a modified Jeep and camp in a tent. If your vehicle is light enough and properly equipped, you can achieve flotation in the snow, and even make waves in the powder...

Enjoy!

I will say that I have seen a very few Unimog based RVs that are very capable of extreme RV camping and travel...
        Last edited by Happy Joe; 01-05-2024, 09:41 AM.
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Working...
        X