Canoe storage ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canoe storage ideas

I have a 16' aluminum Grumman and I've been keeping it on the side yard of my house, straddling two I-beam saw horses I built long ago out of 2x6s, 2x4s, and 20d nails back when lumber and nails were cheap. They've finally started to rot away so I want to build a new canoe---canoe what? Canoe holder? Canoe rack? I don't even know what to call 'em. Anyway, something to keep my canoe upside down and off the ground.
    I'm considering pipe, maybe those plastic folding saw horses (if they'll support the weight, store bought, cement block, heck I'm open to any and all ideas.
    Have you got any suggestions?

Yes to pipe. Mine are on two racks made of 1-1/4 inch galvanized pipe and Kee Klamp elbows.

If you're not familiar with them, here's the 411. Kee Klamps aren't cheap but there are three advantages over threaded fittings, especially for outdoor use. First, you can cut pipe to any size you want and not have to thread anything. Second, there are no threads exposed that will eventually rust and weaken. And third, they offer a real neat and clean appearance. I say they aren't cheap but that's only partially true. Turns out, they're a product from Great Britain where they don't cost all that much. BUT, here in the U.S., they're all imported so... of course... the cost is passed on to the consumer. If you go that route, I recommend getting them from McMaster-Carr. They sell the fittings for about what others do but seem to have the lowest price on shipping (at least to my area - YMMV).

Edited to add: I simply stuck the uprights in the ground - no concrete - and they were painted with a quick coat of spray paint. That was over 25 years ago and they're still rock solid with no sign of rust.
    Last edited by MacGyver; 06-16-2022, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X