Rope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rope

Always useful around camp for tying down tarps, hoisting victuals out of a marauding bear's grasp, lashings, a clothesline, sometimes a hand hold when crossing difficult terrain.
    You get the idea.
    I've had ropes live in my camping box for decades, but sometimes it gets loaned and never returned, or even destroyed. by impossible knotting.
    Then I have to go buy some new rope at the last minute.
    The problem is, what kind of rope? Manila, Dacron, Poly. truck rope, paracord, nylon, cotton, sisal?
    The nature of camping requires (I'm thinking) a multitasker when it comes to rope.
    Which kind of rope works best for you when camping?

I have a large box full of 550 paracord sitting on the shelf collecting dust. I stepped up to 850 paracord and Atwood's Battlecord at 2,650 pound test. Aside from the increased strength over 550, I like the 850 because it's thicker and works better in the guyline adjusters I use. And, if you have any concerns about "impossible knotting", you'd love the Battlecord. I use it for ridgelines for the tarp, dragging logs and anchor rope for my canoe. I even used it to make a dog run on my last trip out. The strength does come at a cost - it's so stiff you almost have to use pliers to make a tight knot. Even then, it's relatively easy to undo.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
      I have a large box full of 550 paracord sitting on the shelf collecting dust. I stepped up to 850 paracord and Atwood's Battlecord at 2,650 pound test. Aside from the increased strength over 550, I like the 850 because it's thicker and works better in the guyline adjusters I use. And, if you have any concerns about "impossible knotting", you'd love the Battlecord. I use it for ridgelines for the tarp, dragging logs and anchor rope for my canoe. I even used it to make a dog run on my last trip out. The strength does come at a cost - it's so stiff you almost have to use pliers to make a tight knot. Even then, it's relatively easy to undo.
      Good to know!

Comment

Working...
      X