Hatchet job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hatchet job

I found a hatchet head. It's rusty and old, I have no idea who made it, but of all the traditional camping tools, hatchets I find are the lest desirable.
    I remember buying one a few decades ago and couldn't wait to get rid of the thing.
    Hatchets scare me!
    Which brings me to this current unwelcomed guest----
    It has phantom bevels

I've never had an axe with phantom bevels much less even seen phantom bevels on a hatchet---they are so cool !
    So now I don't know what to do with it.
    Restore it? Hang a new handle? Throw it back in the scrap metal pile?
    I certainly won't take it camping----hatchets scare me!
    Thoughts?
    Man, phantom bevels are sure cool!

IMO;
    De-rust it and try to restore; it. See if you can find, make or re-finish the proper handle.
    Most modern inexpensive hatchets are soft and not desireable. The good ones are quite expensive.
    I'm not a fan of hatchets but I am a fan of high quality antiques, they look good and are useful. Have an antique broad head hatchet that has beheaded many generations of chickens and provided at least a generation of kitchen cook stove and washing kindling. They used to be considered essential homemaking gear.

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Hi, John! Did you restore it? I'd like to see pics of restored old good stuff. Nowadays it's a very popular trend, and do you know why? To my mind, steel and materials generally were better in the past. I bought a hatchet(exactly this) and it feels like it’s made of sticks and dirt
        All the best
        Frank

Comment

I will always carry an Estwing hatchet/axe with me on trips. When other cutting tools might fail - handles split, blades snap, the Estwing is made out of one solid piece of steel. That makes it about as indestructable as is possible. Sharpened with just a file, the most use it gets is making shavings for tinder and splitting larger pieces of kindling into even smaller pieces.

Comment

I think the military shovel is very useful for digging soil and cutting down trees, the axe is too heavy and only used occasionally

Comment

Working...
            X