War and Camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War and Camping

Since today's news is fixated on the new war in Europe, I got to thinking about how war, especially WW1 and 2, had inadvertently popularized camping in the USA.
    First there was the Boy Scouts, founded by Gen Baden-Powell to customize youth to the rigors of outdoor life so they could better survive being called to military service as well as
    City boys serving in the military who got their first taste of the bivouac, and returning doughboys, with the help of the affordable Model T and inspiration from Henry Ford's Vagabonds took to car camping. During the Great Depression WPA camp ground projects added much needed facilities and so helped the cause, which was then retarded during WW2 by the lack of automobile tires and severely rationed gasoline, but then given a substantial post-war boost by cheap camping gear (consider sleeping bags, which before the war were limited to wealthy sportsmen ---everyone else before then got by with bedrolls) sold in Army-Navy Surplus stores as well as aluminum tubing products designed as a byproduct of the aircraft industry. Returning GIs wanted stress free economical R&R with their families and the National Parks and Forests were theirs to enjoy. The popularity of recreational camping hit an all time pinnacle during the post war years.
    Now with the obscene gas prices driven higher by the war, I'm sure that will cut down on RV-ing at least for some people.
    I wonder what changes this new war will bring to the camping world (sadly) when the dust and gore settles?
    Any ideas?

IMO, most folks will likely only curtail their recreation somewhat. Personally since I do not commute, every day, to camp; I camp only a few times per year, I don't see a doubling of fuel prices as impacting my camping much.

I hope his "Senility and Chief" (Brandon) does not push Putin over Putin's war to resurrect the Soviet Union (which should mean next to nothing to us)... such a move would be very Bad. Living were I do I expect the first notification of, meaningful to us, Hostilities to be a "Really bright light".
    At which point the desire to go camping become moot.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 02-24-2022, 09:29 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Unless this war finds itself on US lands OR becomes a "world war", it will have no effect on our daily life other than fuel prices, and other price hikes. No more effect than the Vietnam or Korean wars had. More likely similar effect to Desert Storm, etc.
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
        Unless this war finds itself on US lands OR becomes a "world war", it will have no effect on our daily life other than fuel prices, and other price hikes. No more effect than the Vietnam or Korean wars had. More likely similar effect to Desert Storm, etc.
        My fear is this may become a World War. I fear Putin will not stop with Ukraine. I also am sadden by the thoughts of all of the people fighting and the mental, physical toll. The unnecessary deaths due to one mans ego. I fear my nephews may have to trade college for a gun.

Happy Joe, you should be worried what the rest of the world is doing to push Putin. Even Sweden is pushing back. I am grateful our country is not bowing down and kissing Putin’s feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post

My fear is this may become a World War. I fear Putin will not stop with Ukraine. I also am sadden by the thoughts of all of the people fighting and the mental, physical toll. The unnecessary deaths due to one mans ego. I fear my nephews may have to trade college for a gun.

Happy Joe, you should be worried what the rest of the world is doing to push Putin. Even Sweden is pushing back. I am grateful our country is not bowing down and kissing Putin’s feet.
          I agree. I fear if Putin isn't stopped quickly, this will become a world war. And that will be disastrous. If he succeeds in taking Ukraine, he won't stop. We can't wait for that to happen - he needs to be stopped from taking Ukraine.
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

As a somewhat bemused observer of history; at first glance Putin's war looks similar to Hitler's expansion into Poland at be beginning of WW2; the difference now is that Putin has the capability to effectively end higher civilization, on this planet, with the touch of a button; + 20 minutes of flight time.

I like that other countries are pushing back; although sanctions are basically meaningless to dictators like Putin.. From what I understand US sanctions contain so many EXCEPTIONS as to be effectively meaningless. (a feel good gesture at best).

The United States has suffered the consequences of trying to be the world's policeman, alone, for far too long. I do not like the NATO treaty that commits us in the event that any NATO state is attacked (such treaties are how WW1 started).

Looking ahead; prepare for Russia's traditional bloodbath tactics when subduing (flattening) cities. hopefully the Ukrainians can initiate and maintain an effective guerrilla campaign against the forces of darkness... I expect Putin to "Win" short term... We shall see how long and at what cost he can maintain his "victories"... and whether he is insane enough to blame his eventual problems on us and initiate a nuclear exchange.

We live in Scary times...

Enjoy; as long as you can...
            2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
            Ground tents work best for me, so far.
            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Working...
            X