Car camping without a car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car camping without a car

Considering the current situation with new cars both expensive and difficult to source, and used cars overpriced by 40%, and repair parts, especially chips bobbing around in Long Beach harbor instead of snug in parts warehouses, so how would you go car camping if the family 'yota bought the farm?
    You could rent a car or RV---what's being charged by car rental agencies seemed rather brutal last Summer and I don't know is the situation has improved any. Maybe it has, but maybe not.
    So my question is, as a Plan "B" are there any worthy campgrounds you an your family could access by bus or rail?
    Also consider that you'd have to pack and carry all your camping gear ,so maybe backpacking gear would be more appropriate, so the added challenge is how do you provide a comfortable camp if your family includes seniors and small children?

Here in Northern California, I think you'd have a difficult time finding a campground accessible by bus. And the one I can think of that you could access would still require a long long walk carrying all your gear. With small children, that would be difficult.

You might be able to borrow a family member's or friend's car. Or maybe try uber?

You might be able to do bicycle camping. Get saddle bags for the bikes, maybe a bike trailer. Child seats for small children.

As to providing a comfortable camp, it really depends on the family's definition of comfortable. If a porta potty in the campsite is considered a must, then it could be difficult. You'd probably be hard put bringing cots, camp chairs, tables, etc.

You could look at glamping where everything is supplied and you just have to get there.

​​​​​​​IMO, the best solution would be backyard camping. No travel necessary. No need to minimize gear or comfort. You could even camp out at family or friends backyards for a change of scenery.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

It wasn't that long ago, before the Model T, that people recreationally camped depending on the railroad and stage coaches to get "there"

Once More To The Lake by E.B.White describes one such trip,

Today, many National Parks have bus service that's often linked with Amtrak trains, but that presents the issue of crowds and of course, bringing along camping gear.

Comment

Originally posted by John Joseph View Post
        It wasn't that long ago, before the Model T, that people recreationally camped depending on the railroad and stage coaches to get "there"

Once More To The Lake by E.B.White describes one such trip,
        There was also a much more lenient stance on where people could camp and "wild" spaces were much closer to urban areas. Nowadays, where you can camp is severely limited in most regions and the ability to get from a station to an appropriate place to camp is further.

Originally posted by John Joseph View Post
        Today, many National Parks have bus service that's often linked with Amtrak trains, but that presents the issue of crowds and of course, bringing along camping gear.
        This can work, but the ability to have a "comfortable camp" will be limited. It would be very difficult for a young family of three (let alone with more than one young kid) to carry food, cooking ware, tents, sleeping bags, camp chairs, camp stove, clothing, toys for the kid(s), any hobby/sport gear, etc, on a train and bus. And national parks aren't really places you could just decide to go to on a weekend trip. They would require reservations months in advance. And in the states, train trips are subject to the whim of the freight industry. It is common for a passenger train to be delayed by hours (and sometimes days) because they use the same rails as the freight trains and freight trains are always given priority. So, you could wind up losing your reservations because of train delays.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post

There was also a much more lenient stance on where people could camp and "wild" spaces were much closer to urban areas. Nowadays, where you can camp is severely limited in most regions and the ability to get from a station to an appropriate place to camp is further.

This can work, but the ability to have a "comfortable camp" will be limited. It would be very difficult for a young family of three (let alone with more than one young kid) to carry food, cooking ware, tents, sleeping bags, camp chairs, camp stove, clothing, toys for the kid(s), any hobby/sport gear, etc, on a train and bus. And national parks aren't really places you could just decide to go to on a weekend trip. They would require reservations months in advance. And in the states, train trips are subject to the whim of the freight industry. It is common for a passenger train to be delayed by hours (and sometimes days) because they use the same rails as the freight trains and freight trains are always given priority. So, you could wind up losing your reservations because of train delays.
          So what would you suggest?

Comment

I gave some options in my first post:

1. Borrow a vehicle from friends or family.

2. Bicycle camping - will limit gear, but would be easier for families with young kids than backpacking. Saddle bags can handle the heavier items, child seats for the tots, older kids can ride their own bikes, and a bike trailer can handle bulky items.

With backpack gear, you have to consider whether you'll also need to carry the kid(s). If both parents are carrying a full backpack with food, tent, cookingware, sleeping bags, clothes, toys, etc, they are going to be hardput to carry toddlers at the same time.

3. ​​​​​​Backyard camping.

I'd add looking at group camping opportunities where you can camp with other families and offer to take on certain tasks/costs in exchange for transportation. Church, clubs, etc.

As I said, a lot will depend on what a "comfortable camp" means to the family. Bringing a playpen for the baby will be difficult to impossible. Same with camp chairs, cots, etc. If your idea of "comfortable camping includes all that, then it will be much more difficult.

Comment

Many heavily used National Parks offer shuttle service within the park that access popular campgrounds as well as commercial bus service to nearby towns that access Greyhound and/or Amtrak.
              The trouble is some busses are small and have limited space for camping gear----even back packs----while other busses are far more accommodating.

Comment

Personally I will always own, at least one, well set up, 4WD, for camping... no need for a "car"; they simply can't be used to go where I prefer to camp (can't get there from here, or any where else; they simply can't traverse the terrain). My DD (daily driver) is a 4WD, SUV and is occasionally used to camp with friends that have inadequate vehicles that cannot get to the good places.

I won't even consider renting a driveway/ numbered space in a campground/park... I like the wild; not noisy, congested, crowded (civilized) areas where you can hear the neighbors fight...I camp to get away from such things.

Very early literature from Kephart (Camping and Woodcraft) recommends renting transportation (horse or cart) or if all else fails use Shank's mare.

Properly maintained vehicles can last well over 200,000 miles and well over 20 years so I don't see the need for lack of vehicle concerns.... I have found it better to get a nearly dead vehicle with a solid body, chassis (a frame is a must have) and good interior, then re-power it with customized power train, suspension and modified running gear...very few new/stock vehicles are suitable for more than easy terrain, IMO.
                (I also have a jeep Rubicon (mistake); I can (& have) build better).

Enjoy!
                Last edited by Happy Joe; 02-23-2022, 10:48 AM.
                2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Glad to see this post now because I was looking for idea of camping without a car. My family - my wife and a kid of 7 y.o - are going to camping soon. We thought about borrowing a car from our friends, but I cannot guarantee that there wouldn't be dangerous situations for the car in the trip. We all have bikes, and all of us are good riders on it, but still we have some doubts. I think we should start with the nearest camping and spend there not more that 2 days.

Comment

If all else fails people can do what many have done when camping in (no vehicles allowed) wilderness areas; have a friend drop you and your pack at the trailhead and walk in... getting back to basics is, sometimes, good.

(I will never understand the apparent desirability of campgrounds, and avoid them like the plague).

Click image for larger version  Name:	Slide17.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.3 KB ID:	82135

Enjoy!
                    Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-29-2022, 06:28 AM.
                    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Personally, I have nothing against developed campgrounds. However, I pick my campgrounds very carefully. I stay far away from reservoir campgrounds in peak season - that's when they are filled with loud partyers, toy haulers with all the loud toys, screaming, etc. In peak season, I go up in the mountains at least 2 hours away from major freeways and big towns. I pick smaller campgrounds that cater to hikers, etc. They tend to be quiet and peaceful.

Comment

Originally posted by Raynnnin View Post
                        Glad to see this post now because I was looking for idea of camping without a car. My family - my wife and a kid of 7 y.o - are going to camping soon. We thought about borrowing a car from our friends, but I cannot guarantee that there wouldn't be dangerous situations for the car in the trip. We all have bikes, and all of us are good riders on it, but still we have some doubts. I think we should start with the nearest camping and spend there not more that 2 days.
                        If you don't have a campground close enough, you can load everything up on the bikes and ride around the neighborhood, then set up camp in your backyard. That will give you an idea of how much more effort carrying the gear will be and you can test the equipment before you go out in the wilderness. You can see if your carrying stuff you don't need, or if you've forgotten something vital.

Comment

Working...
                        X