No announcement yet.

Equipment upgrades for the new year...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equipment upgrades for the new year...

Since its next year, already (and its too cold right now to do much) I figure its time to go over equipment and do the refresh, restock and modify thing.

Since late last fall i have been playing with a 50 Amp hour Ampere Time lithium phosphate battery (got it relatively cheap on sale).
    Its main purpose is to replace the little, nearly dead, 20+ pound 35 amp hour sealed lead acid camping battery that I have been using for the last 8 years or so.

Click image for larger version  Name:	batt w invert.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.0 KB ID:	81752

While carrying the new 11 pound battery around I noticed that it is a bit awkward to move as it has no handle; so I decided to add one (setting up and breaking down camp often requires extensive carrying and being able to carry the battery comfortably & securely in one hand seems worth while.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ampertime 50sh with handle  50  1 DSCF0350.jpg Views:	0 Size:	44.2 KB ID:	81751
    Accordingly I purchased a couple of Kayak handles from Amazon for a few bucks (not realizing how much work it would be to use them).
    I also purchased a roll of 1 Inch tubular strap and some Chicago screws (used in leather working).

If I were going to do it again, I would be tempted to make my own handle since thinning down the ends of the handle to fit inside the strap was way more work than it should have been,
    I reused the old 80 watt, modified, inverter (now obsolete) the best replacement for it seems to be the 150 watt Bestek inverter).

Since I use up to 3 outlets in camp I intend to add a couple below the front of the inverter ; for the ceiling light, the bug zapper and the floor lamp.

Is anyone else improving their gear, or did Santa bring any new (goodies/toys) gear?

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 02-01-2022, 03:52 PM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

I upgraded my trailer's batteries to agms last fall after the old batteries died. And replaced the converter/charger.

I also got a couple new camp chairs for the motorhome. I had a couple lightweight ones that were stressed holding an average adult.

Other than that, I haven't done much upgrading. I have to replace the yoke on the motorhome drive shaft and that is costing a lot, so it's more just trying to get out and go camping.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I hear you!...
      I've been trying to get some spring camping enthusiasm worked up amongst my friends.

Replaced many yokes, u-joints and drive shafts while four wheeling; for some vehicles its harder than others. Driving several hundred miles, to get home, with a bent/twisted drive shaft is not fun.

Enjoy!

Edit; still looking for compact comfortable folding recliners...
      Last edited by Happy Joe; 02-01-2022, 03:56 PM.
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

If you were nearby, I'd pay you to teach me how to do it. As it is, I don't trust me to do it on my own, so I'm paying to have it done. Of course, I have to figure out which yoke I need first...

I'll keep my eye out for recliner ideas.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Still looking for a recliner but no hard .. because the space will likely be taken up by additional solar panels, batteries and flameless cooking equipment... I will definitely feel strange bringing a mini microwave camping but when the powers that be say "no fire/flame it will meet the requirement...

Enjoy!

Comment

Sold four 40 pound SLA batteries and bought two 18 pound 54AH lithiums that double the available power of the SLAs and ditched the 12 volt LEDs in favor of USB rechargaeble lanterns. Found a company that makes military grade adapters for laptops and dropped a pretty penny for one - a welcome addition over the Chinese-hope-it'll-last adapter. I also bought several more Pelican Storm cases that are on the smaller size so I can organize the gear better and not lug huge, heavy boxes. I must be doing something right - the last time out my setup time dropped to about half what it was.
            Last edited by MacGyver; 06-10-2022, 07:40 PM.

Comment

I, too, have been expanding my number of cases; I will use a smaller case for the inverter and cables.
              ... need to find a really good way to pack the mini microwave (it doesn't quite fit in a milk crate) to protect it from damage.
              Most of the flameless cooking gear and my pans (but excluding the mini microwave) fit into one large case.making basically 2 1/2 large cases of cooking stuff , including the original case of propane cooking gear.
              The batteries are unfortunately large and will likely end up packed near the bottom of the pile. The batteries are pretty light weight and have handles so they carry pretty easily compared to lead acid batteries.

The induction pans are pretty neat; they have a removable handle (handles on pans have been a real trouble spot for compact packing , in the past.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hob and pans 35 DSCF0370.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	82078

Enjoy!

Comment

I'll soon be dragging out my anvil and beating some steel bar stock into submission ...errr....into a lid lifter for my cast iron Dutch ovens.

Comment

Aside from the car charger for my drill and inflator battery, there's no more 12 volt gear in my kit. Everything else is 5 volt USB now. Fully functional and oh-so-compact!

Last edited by MacGyver; 07-31-2022, 09:56 PM.

Comment

...I experimented, a bit, with USB based power; It looked like a good thing for hikers/backpackers; although the plethora of different USB charging plugs and wires was a pain...

About the only USB based stuff that I currently use Is the JBL blue tooth speaker (for tunes) and an old cellphone for tune storage & Blue Tooth playback. The inverters all have USB ports for charging things but they are rarely used.

I found the 2 amp limit of most USB ports to be a real hindrance for solar charging.

I'm still attached to the 120 volt LED lighting (at least until I find some acceptable color temperature and brightness rechargeable alternatives). and the high powered cooking stuff can't be converted at this time (the cables alone dwarf the USB plugs & wires)..

Without the higher powered stuff like a fridge/freezer and mini microwave I could see USB power having some real advantages (if the various device charging plugs could be standardized; I selected the old cellphone (tune storage) based on its plug compatibility with the JBL speaker, one charging wire fits either; the speaker's charging plug is not compatible with my main/newer (used as a phone) cellphone).

Enjoy!
                    Last edited by Happy Joe; 08-02-2022, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Agreed that the charging rates, along with the different sizes of the various USB configurations do tend to be a bit of a hassle. Everything in my picture except the hotspot and the lantern is a micro B, the hotspot and lantern are type C and the GPS in the truck uses a mini B. I just carry 2 of each style cord and doubled up on the lithium batteries to make sure I don't run out of 24/7 juice. For long trips when I might want some 110 appliances or even some of my 12 volt gear, I'll still be carrying the Honda genny and lithium chargers. I wish I could rely on solar. I like camping surrounded by trees with as little open space as possible so, when I was running solar panels, I found I was chasing the sun too much to be practical. Having to move even a small solar array every hour or so is a pain - even sober. Add alcohol and... well... I like my Honda. :D
                      Last edited by MacGyver; 08-03-2022, 01:07 PM.

Comment

I agree.
                        If I need a small genny, I use a propane powered Ryobi; It powers a small lithium charger pretty well. Mostly though; If I have a need for more than lights and tunes I bring the larger (charged, at home) LiFePo4 batteries.

...Yep! Shady campsites are not compatible with solar (IMO) but I can usually find a sunny clearing, relatively close, to supply a couple of hours of charging; the larger (100 watt) panels are quite unwieldy for carrying far though.. so the pair of old 50 watt panels still have a limited application. As a last resort I have a dc to dc lithium charger that can be powered from the vehicle.

In summary: I like camping with electricity!!! and 50 AH LiFePo4 batteries are great!

Enjoy!
                        Last edited by Happy Joe; 08-04-2022, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Haven't done much on spring to fall updating.but have done very little to winter update.a buddy heat and propane tanks.winter socks,new insulated jump suit.new long johns.bought a solor powered power bank,in which I got lights that plug into it's USB ports .

Comment

Working...
                          X