The History of Enameled Steel Cookware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The History of Enameled Steel Cookware

I'm not really a fan----it's too fragile for camp duty because when it's cracked or broken, well, that's glass in your grub and
    that can't be a good thing! I prefer stainless steel.
    For a long time though, enameled steel was considered the cat's meow.
    Of course when Americans began recreational camping and before even lighter weight aluminum pots and pans took over, the old Granite ware often migrated from the kitchen to the chuck box where it could be abused, scorched, misplaced and not greatly missed (unless it's the coffee pot!)
    But enameled steel sure looks good on a camp stove, campfire grate or picnic table-----there's just something "Old Westy" about Graniteware.
    In fact new Graniteware is still marketed for camping use, even today.
    I will use enameled steel for wash basins and the camp coffee pot. Maybe other items, but I'm still leery.
    Here's the low down on the History of the stuff:
    http://www.oldandinteresting.com/enamel ... story.aspx

One curiosity that's missing from the History is the significance of made in Mexico enamelware.
    The story I heard was that there was a large concern manufacturing enamelware in the southern USA.
    When the Confederacy was defeated in the Civil War, the family owned business migrated to Mexico and set up shop there
    and currently available Made In Mexico Graniteware is a lineal descendent.
    True? I don't know but it is an interesting muse for the amateur Historian.

...As I recall, Mom and Grandma decried to cheapness of easily chipped "New" enamel ware back in the 50's and early 1960's; they stopped buying it ... the thickness of the enamel and its resistance to damage has been even farther reduced (and thus made more easily damaged) over the years.

Way back when; it was primarily a way to make steel cookware and cast iron sinks, bathtubs etc. rustproof and easy to clean. Stainless steel was once more expensive and cast iron was "heavy", thin, cheap, cast iron was/is also easy to break.
    Lighter, thin stainless steel cookware was subject to hot spots and scorching of food, leading to copper clad bottoms on the better stainless steel pots and pans i.e. Revere-ware, with much better heat distribution.

Stainless steel was considered difficult to fabricate, in recent times, though, improvements in fabrication technology have allowed aluminum heat transfer plates to make their way into the bottoms of stainless pots and pans to control hot spots and scorching.

... better living through technology...

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

There is certainly a difference between the heft of old enamel ware and the new stuff!

Comment

Working...
      X