An Afternoon at The Museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Afternoon at The Museum

I understand the allure of the latest and greatest high tech camping paraphrenalia. Most of the stuff I've seen is amazing, especially when it comes to back packing!
    But being a mizerly old coot, I'll rarely part with a working piece of old gear---I will donate duplicates to my local BSA troop, or a young family just getting started on a tight budget, but generally the old stuff finds a home here---not only my old stuff, but my sainted dad's and grandfather's old stuff as well, going back all the way to pre WW2.
    The annual off season sorting through the camping gear routine has become like visiting a museum.

I was wondering if anyone else here gets that same sensation going through their camping stuff?

I typically box up replaced items; as a backup, in case the new stuff fails. If the boxed item is not needed within a year or two it migrates into long term storage.

The neatest antique gear is displayed on top of the book cases along with a few antique toys, as a kind of museum..
    The Swedish trangia stove is probably the newest addition to the display (not really antique).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trangia 50 DSCF0184.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	81703

If I ever get around to polishing up the old brass Svea 123R it will be an eye catcher.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 01-04-2022, 06:56 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Working...
    X