A Gallery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Gallery

There are lots of photos hidden away on cell phones, but I prefer to see actual photos, hence a "gallery"
    it can be on a wall, a desk top in the office, a book case or any other location although it is nice if the images can be shared with others.
    I also prefer annual themes such as the last day of the summer, or first camping trip of the year. This forces me to choose one exceptional photo from likely several so-so photos
    and preventing clutter.

Heres a tip on selecting a really good photo that represents your wilderness experience:
    Since photos are purely visual, look for prints that evoke your other senses, such as olfactory and audio.
    Can you imagine smelling the trail dust or cedar in a forest shot? Or the pinyon in the desert? Does a shot of a waterfall evoke the thundering of falling water and/or the mist?
    There are plenty of photos of babbling brooks, but how many make you feel you're actually hearing the water?
    You get the idea.

After a few years you'll have a "gallery" that will not only bring back memories, but bring a little happiness and inspiration to others who find enjoyment seeing where you've been.

I like to switch out my photos on occasion. I may have two or three in each frame and just rotate through them when I stop actively noticing the current one.

And if you don't have a big wall for a gallery, just put a couple photos in each room. Bathrooms are often overlooked, but they are really great places for photos as you are by nature (no pun intended) going to be sitting or reclining (tub) and not focused on work/tv/etc.

Also, consider enlarging a few favorites. At least to an 8*10 or 8*12, but if you have a spot, conside going up to a 16*20, 24*30 or bigger.

I also love the metallic papers. It really makes black & white photos pop. And it can make color photos look almost 3D.

When sharing trip/vacation photos with friends and family, limit what you show to the best of the bunch - maybe no more than 10% of what was taken. You'll be surprised how much better a photograher you will instantly become.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I maintain a large number of camping and historical (along with a few just plain interesting), pictures on a screen saver, that displays on my computer. It set to come up after 3 minutes of inactivity.
      The desktop contains a very large number of random pictures and changes every 10 minutes or so... this is different from the screen saver.
      The 30+ inch TV that I use as a monitor lets the pictures bee seen from across the room.

I use windows 7 and don't know of it is possible to do this on other operating systems, although I seem to recall being able to do it on an early version of windows 10.

I agree the best/most memorable pictures seem to be of people having good times, the camps, trails and terrain are nice but some how don't have the impact of people pics...

Enjoy!
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I have to disagree. There are very few people photos in my collection. I'm just not drawn to them - whether to shoot the photo or to look at it afterwards.

On the other hand, my house is full of photos of scenics, wildlife, pets, architecture, etc, and each one brings back the memories of that trip, day, moment.

It just really depends on the individual. Hang whatever brings you joy.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Working...
        X