Camps pitched in your memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camps pitched in your memory

I find that some of the most desirable places to camp no longer exist. Instead they are etched in my memory, from trips long passed and now either don't exist or are unrecognizable due to improvements, forest fires, or simply scrubbed from the earth by government edict.
    I still find myself contemplating those good times.
    Here's a pic of Camp 16 on the banks of the Merced River, now long gone, replaced by 1970's cement cabinoids
    Click image for larger version

Name:	rl-03470-housekeeping-tent-at-camp-16.jpg?w=593&h=445.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	81538
    Are there any phantom campgrounds haunting your memories?

here was one of my favorites long since destroyed by trash people;

Edit (I don't like this photo upload procedure...

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 11-08-2021, 07:35 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

The site wasn't trashed. The gang was. I'd been camping with the same group of people for around 40 years. We didn't all get together every trip, sometimes it was the core five or six, sometimes a bit more. But in the Fall of 2013 we had what I call the last hurrah before personal politics started tearing things apart. 20 people sitting around, laughing, joking, playing cornhole, what we called Full-contact Uno and, of course, mucho alcohol. I have a long video of the action that I watch from time to time. Great but bittersweet memories of a trip that I doubt I'll ever see the likes of again. Here's a shot of the village from the hill behind the site.

Name:	The Village.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	81554

Comment

Here is a Pic of our "Reliables"... those we could pretty much count on for Woods time the photographer is naturally missing from the pic though still a member of the reduced group; sadly we have lost one to diabetes and another, incapacitated due to to COPD (and old age).

Name:	Some friends 50 DSCF0122.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	81565

Enjoy!
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
          Here is a Pic of our "Reliables"... those we could pretty much count on for Woods time the photographer is naturally missing from the pic though still a member of the reduced group; sadly we have lost one to diabetes and another, incapacitated due to to COPD (and old age).

Name:	Some friends 50 DSCF0122.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	81565

Enjoy!
          "It's always fair weather when good friends get together."

Comment

... Found another old camping pic.. (courtesy of one of my friends)...

Name:	FB95IMG951644711150336.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	81973

Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
            X