Fall and Winter Plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall and Winter Plans

Due to fires, my summer plans fizzled out. It's been almost two years since I've been camping.

I've got plans confirmed for November. Been doing some work on both campers to get them ready. Will take the clipper this trip. It will be the dogs' and bird's first camping trip. Looney1 will be the most experienced with two trips already and Looney2 has had one trip.

Now I just have to figure out where to go for December and March. Will just play by ear for January and February. In January, I'll start reserving for spring and summer. Going to do earlier trips into the mountains so I can hopefully not get cancelled due to fires.

How about everyone else?
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Sorry about your cancelled trips... among other things (life) covid has put quite a damper on many folks' camping.

I plan to hibernate this fall winter and early spring; being a fair weather camper, i really don't expect to get out much before Memorial day...
    ...Reminds me I need to finish unloading the vehicle from last trip.

Got a couple of 30 pound propane tanks for next year. ... filled one so far.

Visited The local Harbor freight store and fond the extra large Apache cases on sale so I picked up another... (this one is green (I decided that all cases the same color was too confusing).
    If you want one better get it now the sale ends 10/14/21
    https://www.harborfreight.com/4800-w...rge-64250.html

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Fortunately out here, I can camp in the winter in the valley and foothills and miss the snow and camp in the summer in the mountains and miss the 100+ temps.

I keep looking at the cases, but with the campers I really don't need one.
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

We are currently on a fall beach and leaf peeping trip to North Carolina. We love the Blue Ridge Parkway and try to get on it every year. Fall is the best time to visit the BRP. We will be in Pisgha NF for a few days before heading north.

We still camp when winterized. We just carry jugs of water and a Luggable Loo that sits I front of the toilet in the bathroom.

We are hoping to make a trip across southern states to San Diego this winter.

Comment

San Diego. Winter. There's no such combination.

Comment

​​​​​Well, I FINALLY got out camping! After 1 year and 10 months.

Took the clipper and have some bugs to work out. Something is going on with the ignition system. The propane tank gauge no longer works - said it was full, the first morning it was empty.

Realized I forgot to put in a new can opener or stovetop toaster, so I have to get those.

Everything else worked well, so that is good.

The critters did well. Of course Looney1 made an escape out the door. Here's a "Find Waldo" shot of him (clue he's black and white):
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20211112_1016129.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.8 KB ID:	81571

When he did that, Looney2 backed out of his harness and took off in another direction. They played in the rocks for about 4 hours before the temptation of tummy rubs convinced them to come back. Fortunately, the local bobcats weren't around.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20211111_1410073.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.0 KB ID:	81573

Cat-dog had a great time. She questioned why it took us so long to go. She loved the drive. She hated walking around the campground - too worried about dogs rushing at her. She really liked exploring the trail.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20211115_1222280.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.9 KB ID:	81576
            Tornado-dog had a blast. So many smells and sights. He played with his "outside" ball, throwing it all over the campsite (you can see it at Cat-dog's feet in the photo above). He was very good about staying at the campsite - I used a nylon tether on him, but didn't tether it to anything since it was just us. He discovered the camp chair all on his own. Just climbed up and claimed it as his spot. I have to find a cot for Cat-dog.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20211115_1221582-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.1 KB ID:	81574
            Click image for larger version  Name:	1637266050273_kindlephoto-68806478_1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.7 KB ID:	81575
            Yes, he is looking at my friend's "cute lighting" thinking what the heck is that!?!

The coyotes serenaded us each night. Weather was weird. Fog would lift off the lake around 7:30 each morning, then by about 11 am, it would roll back in and blanket us for the rest of the day. Didn't do too much, just relaxed and hung out for the most part.

Comment

Congratulations; on getting out into the wild.
              Its below freezing most nights in the mountains now so I will probably hibernate until spring...

Enjoy!
              2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
              For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
              Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

It felt good to get out. Well, until I had to get the motorhome towed home. Have to get him checked out fully - there's something messed up since he got stolen and hotwired.

Comment

...A shame; hope your mechanic can find and fix the issue(s)...

Enjoy! (when ever you can)...

Comment

Yeah, I had him running wonderfully after an engine rebuild, new carb and an ignition mod. Then they stole him and I'm back to intermittant no starts. It's frustrating to say the least. Of all the things the burglars stole and destroyed, this one hurts the most.

I have to try to get my exboss to come by and check the ignition mod - he did it originally. Then I can have my mechanic start checking for other issues. But first, I have to get some new coils.

Comment

Working...
                    X