Camp knives----you're most useful?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camp knives----you're most useful?

A pocket folder is my EDC and one always occupies our picnic basket even though folders aren't my preferred knife for food preparation for sanitary reasons.
    For camping I like a fixed blade, 4-5 inches long for cooking.
    For woodcraft or hunting the same or similar knife with a good sheath I find works plenty good.
    Last edited by John Joseph; 09-21-2021, 04:27 PM.

I use several knives when camping, mostly for food preparation. I am not a knife fanatic nor elitist (as long as its relatively sharp and will do the job its good enough, for me).
    My most used knife every day as well as camping is a Victornox Tinker Swiss Army Knife. The largest pocket knife/toolkit that I have found to comfortably and unobtrusively carry.
    https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Sw.../dp/B00004YVB4
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Victornox tinker.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	81424
    from whittling to being a pocket tool kit it just works; also does a fine job of spreading cheese on crackers...

I also have a cheap ($5) cbinese locking folder in the cooking kit; in case I need to cut up a chicken or something similar...
    i don't remember where I got it, but it works well, stores compactly when folded and stays relatively sharp. The handle is big enough to get a grip and because its rubber; its slip resistant with wet hands.

Also,n the kitchen kit; I carry several sets of stainless table ware from wally mart; look for the really cheap ones they work better than plastic and are cheap enough to give away.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Grubbin tools kitchen kit 50 DSCF0345.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	81425
    Top pencil case for school child (wally mart, years ago)
    Left 4 cheap, wally mart, spoons
    3 forks (missing one)
    4 cut down, cheap, wally mart table knives,
    A free pot scraper (of unknown provenance),
    A diamond coated knife sharpener,
    A cut down cheap serrated knife for veggies
    The cheap chineses rubber handled, locking, folder
    A can opener
    A small, cut down, rubber spatula (In case of cakes or brownies)

I used to carry a medium fixed blade when hiking but haven"t seen, carried or used it in a while (several years, its in the camping stuff somewhere, I'm sure).

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I have the same. Victornox Tinker Swiss Army Knife is always with me while camping

Comment

...so far; I have had 3...
        Wore one out; You know the end is near/it is time to prepare yourself; when; the blades are sharpened to slivers, the metal logo comes off and the scales get loose...
        Lost one; due to a religious (holey) pocket...
        and the current one is still (going on 20 years) doing its job...

Enjoy!
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

My SAK is the Spartan Click image for larger version

Name:	SAK_1_3603__S1.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	81433

Comment

An Opinel No.8 is large enough to slice crusty pan rustica for sandwiches Click image for larger version

Name:	113080_N_8VRN_COUTEAU_CARBONE_HD_2000x.jpg?v=1592922912.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	81435

Comment

Working...
            X