Summer Plans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer Plans?

I haven't been camping since my fateful trip to Death Valley in December 2019. Was hoping to go out this summer, but both my campers have had issues.

The trailer's converter is bad. I have a mobile mechanic coming next week to verify the issue and install the new converter. I got the new agm batteries for it.

I ordered all 7 new tires for the motorhome. Scheduled an install apointment only to have the ignition coil go bad. Rescheduled and replaced the coil. Slept through that appointment. Rescheduled. Checked the RV the day before, started up fine. Went to go to the appointment and it wouldn't start. Replaced coil, no start. Cancelled that appointment. Had a mechanic come and help me find the problem. Stupid connections had come lose in the doghouse. Fixed all that and he starts great. Called to make new appointment and their RV jacks went bad and are waiting for new ones to arrive. Scheduled for next week.

So, no summer trips (everything is booked up anyway), but have a trip to Lassen set up for fall. Then will do some winter camping trips. In January, I will make some reservations for next summer. And will plan another National Park trip.

How about everyone else? Any plans?
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Got your title fixed. I'm not sure why in the transition the Post Title was caped at three characters, but I pretty sure I fixed it.
    JohnJohn
    ---------
    Forum Admin

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
      I just got back from a week on the Frio River near Leakey, Tx., which was immediately followed by two weeks in Galveston. Given the Texas heat and humidity, I think I am Summer camped out unless we head to Colorado for a trip. Time to start making plans for the Texas Fall and "Winter" seasons .

Here is my family on the Frio. We were all there celebrating my Aunt's birthday, hence the "Classic 1956" shirt we all wore.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC00910.JPG Views:	0 Size:	90.1 KB ID:	81272
      Attached Files
      JohnJohn
      ---------
      Forum Admin

Comment

Originally posted by JohnJohn View Post
        Got your title fixed. I'm not sure why in the transition the Post Title was caped at three characters, but I pretty sure I fixed it.
        Thanks! I figured it was some silly default setting. Thanks for giving this a title.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Sounds like some good trips were had. Love the Classic 1956 shirts!

Yeah, the heat here is unbearable yet again. Campsites in the mountains are booked up all summer, so just hiding out in the house til fall.

Comment

I have been trying to get some people together for a trip but Covid seems to have made couch potatoes of many...

...Been trying to improve the tent electricity (battery)... just ordered a MPPT solar controller for it.

...Just noticed JohnJohn's note about changing the dark back ground in another thread (use the button in the lower left hand corner... Big improvement) (thanx John John!)...

Enjoy!

2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
            Ground tents work best for me, so far.
            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	E24D32FF-DB99-4738-A6EF-9E497B5DA226.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	19.0 KB ID:	81299We just returned from a month long trip. We went to Colorado Monument, Moab, Canyonlands, Dead Horse State Park. We Camped at Ken’s Lake. We really preferred driving the LaSal Loop and 128 more than the parks.
              We then spent a couple of day at Devils Canyon Campground. This is a quiet Campground south of Moab. We stayed a night at Lake Powell on our way to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Next we found Jacob Lake Campground it was about 45 miles from the Grand Canyon. We Spent a couple of days exploring at the GC. From there we had planned to go to the South Rim but changed our plans due to the Slate Fire. Instead we headed towards Flagstaff, AZ . We found Bonito Campground in the Coconino National Forest. We stayed there 3 days and one day we explored the Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument. This was an interesting area.

We went to Phoenix from there to visit family. We only stayed a couple of days. It was 118 and the only time we plugged in to run the AC.

Wr returned to Bonito to escape the heat. Then we went to Dixie National Forest, BLM land outside Capital Reef. Rain woke us up so we headed for the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Rain and flood warnings mad us decided to return to Indiana.

When we left we only had 2 reservations. Not once did we have problems finding a place to stay.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Denni2; 07-12-2021, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Sounds like a great trip!

One of my future trips will be going to Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. Do some volunteering and take some day trips to the surrounding areas near Kanab. I just have to work it so I'm not there in the heat.

Got my new tires. Took the poor guys about 5 hours to get them all installed. I will say they impressed me - it was America's Tire and the guys were young, but they handled my 45+ year old rig like pros. They even called three dealerships to get the correct torque instead of guessing.

​​

Comment

Sounds like a great trip!

One of my future trips will be going to Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. Do some volunteering and take some day trips to the surrounding areas near Kanab. I just have to work it so I'm not there in the heat.

​​
                  We camped at Jacob Lake in Kaibab NF. We really like that campground. We drove up 89A through Kanab on our way to Capital Reef. There were many acres of burned out forests on our route. It is painful to me to see the devastation, I literally hurt. There was a lot of beauty also. Don’t get gas at the Samco gas station at 289 south 100. They put a $200 hold on my Credit card for a week. Hope you can get there in cooler temperatures. Next time we will go in the fall when it’s cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post

We camped at Jacob Lake in Kaibab NF. We really like that campground. We drove up 89A through Kanab on our way to Capital Reef. There were many acres of burned out forests on our route. It is painful to me to see the devastation, I literally hurt. There was a lot of beauty also. Don’t get gas at the Samco gas station at 289 south 100. They put a $200 hold on my Credit card for a week. Hope you can get there in cooler temperatures. Next time we will go in the fall when it’s cooler.

The Kaibab Plateau and Jacobs Lake were some of my favorite places to go when I lived in Flagstaff. We'd ride motorcycles up there a couple or so times a year and camp out in NF wherever we found a good spot. In later years when I wasnt riding we'd still go up there, the place was beautiful, and generally less people than the South Rim or anything down near Flag.

Comment

So, I'm waiting to see if Lassen re-opens in time for my trip. The Dixie fire is currently being held back on the east side of the scenic highway. If it jumps the road, I expect it to be closed for the year. If they can get the fire contained, it should re-open. Right now, they are saying it will re-open on Sep 7.

If I can't go to Lassen, then I will do a basic camping trip instead and take the clipper. I have to fix the leaky plumbing in the clipper's sink. Other than that, he is ready to camp.

The mobile mechanic came out and I had to order a different converter for the trailer. He was scheduled to install it in the trailer tomorrow, but he's got Covid. So, it's all on hold for a minimum 10 days. Meanwhile I've cleaned it all up in preparation for the trip.

Planning several winter camping trips. The critters are all ready to camp. Cat-dog absolutely LOVES her bunk bed in the trailer. She feels safe and relaxed there (she worries about being attacked by loose dogs). Tornado-dog is getting the hang of being in the small space.

​Just want to get out and enjoy nature again.

Comment

Working...
                      X