Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to prepare a good axe and knife

Hi
    hope you are doing well. lets talk about good quality of axe and knife.
    what's your fav brand to buy a axe or a knife. I want to make a axe and knife buy using some carbon and leather.
    is it possible?

Re: how to prepare a good axe and knife

Really good axes can be very spendy;
    Gransfors Bruks is historically considered one of the best.

Note; I am not an axe/hatchet fan never having had a need for one in near 60 years camping (I prefer saws to prepare campfire wood), But everyone is different just be wary of chinese junk... A few folks that I know have searched garage sales and accumulated some very good antique axes pre 1960 (once the rust was cleaned of and handles replaced) axes very cheaply. .. do your research, there are many styles and grinds/bevels depending on what kind of wood you want to chop.

...Neither am I a knife elitist; My current most used folder is a Victonox, Tinker, Swiss army, pocket knife. since one knife is not enough for all uses my current fixed blade cooking knife for camping is a stainless steel Winchester knife from wallymart. (I do not recommend chinese tools but this one has worked well for about the last decade; supposedly a buck knife design made in china; no longer available).

The steel should be hard enough to hold an edge yet soft enough to sharpen easily, IMO.

note; Openiel knives have historically been considered a good inexpensive knife.
    Note; avoid chinese junk knives and those with huge/very thick blades (marketed to "survivalists" and often "bushcrafters"). a 3.5 to 5 Inch blade is plenty for cleaning game and cooking chores, cutting up chicken, fish, rabbits and 'taters).
    I made my share of expensive knife purchase mistakes when I was younger usually resulting non-useful additions to my junk collection.

I assume that your reference to "carbon" is intended to be carbon steel. Yes, it is possible to make your own knives but I would recommend starting with an inexpensive assemble it yourself knife kit to learn the basics.

Enjoy!

Edit; On re-reading your thread title, I note that it begins "How to prepare" IMO if you are of a Survival mindset you should start with ultralight backpacking gear (which pretty much eliminates an axe) then expand into food and water (5 years worth) supplies and finally vehicle based/4WD camping/travel (at which point your "pioneer rack" could include an axe... Have done, been and research many things in my, so far, short life...

Enjoy
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 05-26-2021, 09:51 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I absolutely love TNZ-616 High Carbon Axe. The quality of the head is outstanding and weighted perfectly.

Comment

A few more thoughts; Re: how to prepare a knife and ax...
        I normally start by testing the edge of my knife by shaving my arm hairs; CAUTION do not use much pressure and take care NOT to cut yourself..

New (lower quality) knives often do not have a good angle on the edge; one relatively quick way to change the angle is to use a V shaped carbide knife sharpener, I typically follow up with 10 to 20 strokes on a V style ceramic stick knife sharpener and finish by stropping on the back of my leather belt.

I really have never needed, or desired an axe in the woods (I use a folding bow saw, for firewood preparation); so other than the classic method taught to me as a youn-un (a circular honing stone and oil) I don't have a need to sharpen one.

Enjoy!
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

This might be more effort than you want, but I'd suggest restoring an old ax
          Try this from the USFS:

House and Link both make really good replacement handles. If you order a House handle they offer select handles which IMHO are worth the extra $$

Comment

Working...
          X