camping near trains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• camping near trains

Hello. This may seem an odd request, but does anyone know of some good campgrounds (preferably public) that are located close to moderately or frequently used train tracks? They don't have to be within sight of the campground (though that would be a plus), but at least close enough that the trains are readily heard.

We have some tracks about 5 miles from our home and (to me) one of the simple joys of life is te out in the backyard on a quiet night and being able to hear the train whistle and the clacking of train wheels...very relaxing. It brings back memories of how as a child I used to run to the windows of my grandparent's house whenever I heard a train coming (they lived across the street from a set of tracks).

I live in SW Ohio, so preference is for campgrounds in OH, KY, WV, and IN. Though IL, MI, TN, VA, NC, SC and PA are also good. Feel free to post other states as well if you don't know of any in those states.

Thank you!
    Where we've camped so far (as an adult...many more when I was a kid :-)

Re: camping near trains

I understand completely. My first place on my own was just across the street from a major switching yard. To this day, I love being able to hear the trains.

While not in your area, I can say that the USFS Spanish Creek campground in Northern California is what you are looking for. The campground is nestled in the mountains. A train track runs around the campground up above. You can see the train in certain spots and you can hear the clackity clack as it circles around on its way.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Working...
    X