New Family Member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Family Member

I don't recall if I posted this or not, but last May I lost both Moose-dog and Bat-dog. Moose-dog was 15 years old and was havung troubles. He had tumors in various places and his legs were starting to go out. Bat-dog was only 11, but she suddenly started having little seizures and within 2 days she couldn't stand up. So, I made the decision to take them in together. Moose-dog's Aunt C (my friend) was there, so he was happy. Bat-dog was wheeled in on a stretcher covered in blankets like the princess she was. I had been preparing for Moose-dog, but Bat-dog was a complete surprise. It was a very hard loss.

Within a couple weeks, I realized I couldn't handle being dogless, so I adopted Cat-dog. She had been picked up by animal control after having been attacked by a dog(s). She was unspayed and had been bred. She is a great dog! She immediately started mothering her cats. She is learning not to be afraid of being outside, but still gets nervous.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200530_130105_hdr-779x779.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	73074

By October, I realized she really needed a dog companion. But since she is afraid of dogs, it was going have to be a young puppy who would bring out her mothering instincts.

Finally, last month, after months of searching, I adopted Devil-dog. He was not quite 8 weeks old. When they brought him to the car, Cat-dog was in heaven - she licked him all over. Here is his wicked witch pose after the tornado hit the living room when we got home.

Name:	IMG_20210203_123808-780x780.jpg
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	73075

His dna is 40-60% parson (jack) russell terrier and 10-25% each shih tzu, collie and pekinese. HE says he is a unique one-of-a-kind Giant Jack Russell Terrier. His is 25lbs at 15 weeks and is likely to be 86lbs grown. His personality is 100% jack russell. I think I'm in trouble...

Here are some other photos. He has grown 15lbs since the first photo (2lbs per week).

Name:	IMG_20210202_225452-780x780.jpg
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	73076Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210212_155248-780x780.jpg
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	73077Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210226_223931-780x780.jpg
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	73078

Cat-dog is so good with him. She lets him drag her around by her collar and puts up with his jack russell terrorist games. And she freaked when the vet's office took him away for his checkup. She didn't relax until he and Loonie2 (the younger cat) were back in the car and she checked them out.

Anyway, I wanted to share my little-oops BIG puppy.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Re: New Family Member

Just saw your post, and it's great to hear about Cat-Dog and Devil-Dog! I recently read about how hard it was to lose your Moose and Bat. Thanks for the pictures. I so miss my Boo-Dog, but I'm 64 and a pet-for-life kinda person. Wouldn't want to go before my pets, but that really should be a long way off.

Enjoy your new buds, and write about your adventures!

Comment

Thanks. I still miss Moose-dog and Bat-dog every day. But Cat-dog and Tornado-dog (we changed his screen name because he really tries to be good) have brought that doggy happiness back. They are both quirky things.

I remember reading when you lost Boo-Dog. It was a hard loss for you too.

I always figure when I get to the age when I worry about my pets outliving me, I will adopt only older pets. I did so for years when work made it hard to raise a puppy. And honestly, the older ones are so grateful to have a home. With my current batch, they don't know they were rescued - except Cat-dog.
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Just checking in after a long absence and am sorry to hear about the loss of your dogs but glad to hear about the additions to your family. Dogs are awesome and I couldn't imagine living without them.
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

Thanks and glad to see you back.

I still miss my Moose-dog and Bat-dog so much, but Cat-dog and Tornado-dog have created their own places.

Yesterday, Tornado-dog met his first horse. They even touched noses through the fence. He did really good - although he thinks they are giant dogs. Last night he had dreams and this morning, while fast asleep, he let out the biggest happiest howl I've heard. I suspect he was dreaming of playing with those giant dogs...

Comment

Working...
          X