Where is everybody?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is everybody?

I didn't check in much in 2020, because camping was off my radar, but I don't see a whole lot of posts from 2020 or 2021.

I'm just wondering if y'all moved on, or have you been having a pandemic related camping hiatus?

Well, I'm planning a trip to the Catskills in June, and thinking about it already; polishing the tent stakes, washing up the dishware (just in case something snuck home dirty), checking my equipment, thinking about what needs replacing, or maybe adding to my gear.

Does anybody have a good trip planned? Where you going? Solo, in a group? Are you psyched?

Here's to a great 2021 camping season for all!!!:party::ange:

Re: Where is everybody?

No camping in 2020 for various reasons. Need to replace my fuel intake line on the clipper (thieves slit it to siphon out the fuel) before I can think about camping this year. The winter/early spring campgrounds I like are all close until further notice due to COVID. Hopefully come summer my mountain favorites will open.

I am planning a fall trip to Lassen NP. Hopefully that will happen.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I sure hope COVID doesn't continue to affect camping this year. Camping is probably the safest way to vacation in a pandemic. I never heard of Lassen NP, but after looking it up, it sure sounds like a great place to go. I live in NY, waay upstate, and we have some beautiful parks, but no geothermal attractions. Have a great time!

Comment

I'd kill to have Niagara Falls in my backyard!
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

For me there are many reasons that I do not camp as much;
          Since getting older/more antique, I find that I am becoming more of a fair weather camper... I have not even considered winter camping for the last several years.
          I got rid of the well set up (modified), old, reliable, Jeep CJ-7, in favor of a much less capable, stock, Jeep TJ Rubicon, so my off road camping options have become much more limited.
          Friends and acquaintances have been dying off so there are much more limited groups to camp/party with.
          Since the legalization of pot in the state a lot of previously nice camping spots have been ruined by the homeless.
          Covid restrictions have caused economic problems for quite a few friends, limiting their recreational funds.

On the up side; I just got my first covid shot (yesterday at Wallymart) with the second scheduled for the end of the month; so there is hope for more camping this year.

Enjoy!
          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
          Ground tents work best for me, so far.
          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

That's why I like my campers - they make off season camping more bearable. Of course, being in California, I can camp in the foothills to avoid snow in the winter and in the mountains to avoid heat in the summer.

Off season, I can normally find campgrounds pretty much empty so I don't need to go into the middle of nowhere to have solitude.

Comment

We haven’t done as much winter camping as we wanted this season. We took a fall trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway in October. We found it quite easy to avoid people. My husband retires in May and after a couple of appointments we are heading west for a while. Our daughter moved to San Antonio in the fall, we plan to visit them then go to Phoenix to visit with my husband’s sister and nephew’s family.

As much as I didn’t want the Roadtrek, it makes traveling and avoiding people so much easier. I also don’t mind if it’s raining so no more ruined vacations.

Comment

Working...
              X