Ordered a new heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordered a new heater

Time for another chapter in my (seemingly eternal) quest for a good heater for camping. I have tried pretty much every design out there from kerosene heaters though barrel heaters, including wood stoves and Buddy heaters.
    My biggest complaint is that most do not have thermostats and that many propane heaters do not operate reliably at altitude, from 6,000 feet to tree line ~10,000feet (due to the "oxygen sensors") and/or use too much fuel.
    so far my best results have been with the so called blue flame heaters with thermostats however the `20,000 BTU units are a bit on the large side (important since I sold the pickup).

Accordingly, yesterday I ordered a smaller, 10,000 BTU heater (with thermostat).
    https://www.amazon.com/ProCom-MG20TB...DX90NADAN&th=1

...Which I see is currently unavailable (they had 7 in stock yesterday), I hope they do not burn me again, with a back order.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Heater 30 61NSMr9wpwL._AC_SL1280_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	73066

Enjoy!
    Attached Files
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Re: Ordered a new heater

The heater came; It is a bit bigger than I expected, not enough to matter though.
    Made a trip to Lowes for a brass fitting (3/8 x 3/8, MIP FIP, street elbow, BF-782NLB) so that I could install a propane quick disconnect male fitting on the heater;
    https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Pro...connect&sr=8-5
    Have used these for a while; it is the same Mr. Heater quick disconnect that I use on the portable propane fire pit. There are cheaper alternatives on amazon now. This is compatible with the quick disconnect on my buddy heater hose and regulator, which is why I use it... Even though the buddy heater sees little/no use for a variety of reasons.

Be aware the white thread sealer teflon tape is not compatible with propane; in the interest of safety I picked up some grey (propane and natural gas compatible) thread sealer tape while at Lowes.

The gas inlet for this heater is on its bottom. To make things easier I ordered a pair of accessory feet for the heater;
    https://www.amazon.com/ProCom-Heatin...ry+feet&sr=8-1
    The discription on Amazon says they are compatible with the 10,000 BTU Procom heaters but the heater instructions say they are for the larger 20,000 or 30,000 BTU heaters... I expect some fitment issues, no biggie-its for camping, BUT I am misusing a heater meant for permanent wall installation as a portable tent heater. Note; If you elect to misuse/modify equipment YOU do so at YOUR own risk; DO YOUR RESEARCH first.

Grabbed a 20 pound propane tank from the back porch; the instructions recommend a 100 pounder but for intermittent weekend use 20 (or even 10) pounders have served in the past (very weather, temperature & likely cold person dependent). Installed the Buddy heater's regulator & hose & plugged it all together...
    Propped the heater off the floor with a couple of sections of 4x4 and fired it up; It works as expected at my home altitude of 6,000 feet (most heaters do). The thermostat cycles the flame on and off (maintaining temperature and saving fuel).

Come spring... (I'm a fair weather camper now, mostly due to increasing age/laziness) I'll make a trip into the mountains to test its performance up near tree line (where the trees stop growing , around 10 or 11,000 feet where most/many oxygen sensors don't want to work/work too good due to the lack of O2. If the oxygen sensor turns the heater off, I will think hard about adjusting the pilot light position and pressure... or maybe just restrict my camping altitude a bit. Camping at or above tree line is less fun, IMO, due to lack of fire wood issues along with, often, high winds.

So far I am calling this one a provisional success.

Enjoy
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 11-06-2020, 09:09 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

WARNING; Not reliable; no longer works in Colorado Springs.

I have to revise my provisional success to unsuccessful.
      After less than one month of intermittent use at ~6,000 feet the oxygen sensor will no longer let the heater run.
      My Mr. heater big buddy still works; same regulator, same propane tank, same propane so the problem is definitely with the PROCOM heater.
      Over the rest of the winter I will try modifying the pro com to see if I can make it functional in Colorado Springs. if successful,m I will try it at higher altitudes (in the mountains) and post the results.

Enjoy!

Comment

I think that I have the problem narrowed down to a defective thermocouple.
        Will see about the availability of replacements.

Enjoy!

Comment

Those dang thermocouples! At least they are cheap to replace.
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
            I think that I have the problem narrowed down to a defective thermocouple.
            Will see about the availability of replacements.

Enjoy!
            Good luck on the replacement.
            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
            – E. B. White

Comment

Found myself with little to do yesterday, so I took a thermocouple out of an older "blue flame" heater and installed it in the Procom; Worked perfectly and for some reason the previously anemic pilot flame in the Procom is now close, to that in the Big Buddy heater which works at altitude (~9,000 feet). NOTE not all big buddy heater or other brands with oxygen depletion sensors work at altitude, this particular example is one of those that does.
              The Procom heater is now contentedly heating the this room and cycling on and off as designed.

NOTE/CAUTION the thermocouple is part of the low oxygen shutoff feature of this heater and thermocouple replacement with a non OEM thermocouple should be expected to change the performance of this important safety feature. People modifying devices are solely responsible for any consequences.

Today's project; is to find a new replacement thermocouple that is a closer physical fit. (The OEM thermocouple seems to be cheapest thermocouple that can be made in china, IMO.)

I measure the required length, from end to end, to be approximately 23 inches (the one that I scrounged measures around 32 inches).

Enjoy!
              Last edited by Happy Joe; 12-08-2020, 08:12 AM.

Comment

... All righty then...
                finally received the, made in Spain, NOT china, replacement thermocouple (NOT from ProCom ..saved 10$)...
                Installed it and the heater is working again (with OEM recommended parts).

Other enhancements; installed 2 right angle elbows in the propane line, one at the regulator to point the line downward to reduce trip hazards, and the second one at the quick disconnect tat the rear of the heater, letting the propane line run parallel to walls reducing the space between the heater and the wall/tent.

The heater feet (ordered some for a bigger heater and installed them on this one) work well enough although they too are typical of chinese quality (visibly warped; if doing it again or if/when these break I will fabricate legs from wood or aluminum). Had to measure, locate the feet, and drill mounting holes in the heater; then install using the included sheet metal screws..

https://www.amazon.com/ProCom-Heatin...217581&sr=8-12

Got some dust caps for the quick disconnect fittings on the line and heater to reduce dirt contamination while camping (I ordered the 3/8" ones to match my disconnects- be careful to get the size compatible with your disconnects).

https://www.amazon.com/MENSI-Propane...9G7HFEXK4&th=1

Enjoy!
                Last edited by Happy Joe; 12-18-2020, 07:32 AM.

Comment

... since a pic is worth a thousand words... here are a couple...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0320 heater with feet x50 cropped.jpg
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	71247 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0321 heater bottom with feet x33 cropped.jpg
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	71246 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0319 x50 cropped.jpg
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	71245

And no, the heater is not crooked/leaning; its the angle of my less than competent photography...

Enjoy!
                  Last edited by Happy Joe; 12-19-2020, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X