Sycamore Canyon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sycamore Canyon

About a month ago (actually it was exactly a month ago) I left for a 5 day trip to a new area in northern Arizona. My trip was altered (sort of) before it began. I was excited because a friend of mine offered me a bunch of mesquite wood. Then, 2 days before I was leaving a fire ban was enacted in all the Arizona national forests due to the coronavirus. In the end I decided to be a selfish jerk and had a campfire. I figured that since the order came down from the USDA and not the individual forests in a way that didn't allow for notification (the morning the ban was supposed to start not one of the forests had it posted on their site). So I figured I could play dumb if a ranger happened by. I know. I suck.

Anyway, the plan was to camp near a lake but since all campgrounds were closed there were people primitive camping all around them so I took the advice of a friend of mine and headed down the road to Sycamore Canyon. I was not disappointed. The spot I found was pretty rocky but since I hammock camp that wasn't a problem. I had to use my truck in place of a tree to hang the hammock though. I was 30' from the edge of the canyon and set up my 'bathroom with a view' on the edge.

Spent a glorious 5 days there. I took the Camelbak that I bought for my ill fated bikepacking trip with my brother (turns out I don't like bike riding) and decided to try an impromptu backpacking trip. I used the national forest app (which is pretty good btw) to find a spot at the end of a forest road, filled the pack with water, snacks and some bottles of powerade for some weight and headed out. I figured I would walk until I reached the end of the road or I got tired and wanted to turn around. In short, I LOVED IT. I am now planning my first backpacking trip and I have started running again as part of that preperation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200425_060429[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	73058Click image for larger version

Name:	20200426_090958[1].jpg
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	73060Click image for larger version

Name:	20200426_122625[1].jpg
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	73061Click image for larger version

Name:	20200426_130119[1].jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	73062
    Attached Files
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Re: Sycamore Canyon

Pics of me for vanity's sake
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200427_174545[1].jpg
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	71201Click image for larger version

Name:	20200427_195147[1].jpg
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	71202Click image for larger version

Name:	20200427_195158[2].jpg
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	71203Click image for larger version

Name:	20200425_112017[1].jpg
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	71204
    Last edited by James.; 05-24-2020, 09:29 AM.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

Looks like you definitely had a great trip! But I really hate it when you guys out west post pictures of the scenery. As much as I love western Maryland, we don't have anything nearly as grand as that.
      Last edited by MacGyver; 05-24-2020, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Great trip and pics!

I love Sycamore, I backpacked into it from the Flag side a number of times way long ago. Hope to get back to it, at least the truck camping and exploring around on dirt roads on the bike with the dog in the sidecar part. Pretty sure the backpacking isnt going to happen again unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
        X