Coronavirus Cancellation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coronavirus Cancellation

The local officials have refunded my money and cancelled my camping trip this weekend due to worries about coronavirus. I get it. Just because my campsite will easily keep me 6' from people, they don't want to worry about cleaning the bathrooms and such. So very disappointed. At least I'm not sick and able to work from home. Told my spouse I may have to set up the tent in the backyard and throw the kayak in the subdivision's retention pond.

Instead of making lists and prepping my food, I've been dreaming about getting a popup. Wish this thing would blow over quickly because my tent is what my budget will allow and I already have all the gear I need.

Everyone else homebound?

Re: Coronavirus Cancellation

I was PRAYING to get the order to shelter in place. But, because I'm an exterminator, I'm considered essential. SO... as such, I get to go into all kinds of dodgy houses where God only knows who lives there or has been there. Hardly a good trade off for the cheap gas and lack of traffic.

Comment

My favorite campgrounds are schedule to open in May. I'm just hoping this blows over by then.

In the meantime, I'm finishing up on the house and starting to work on re-fixing the motorhome after the theft. Having to replace most all of the camping stuff as they took it all.

Had I not retired, I would be working from home - I prefer being retired.
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Yep, just hunkering down in front of the TV or computer. got the expansions for Titan quest (anniversary edition) from GOG.com as a time waster.
        ... getting fat..er (project for today is to look up jailhouse exercises).
        In about a week I will have to break out and get a prescription refill, have an n-97 respirator and rubber gloves to reduce the chances of catching anything.
        Don't have to worry about cancelled reservations, I primitive camp off the grid on public land (national forests), usually where four wheel drive is required to get in/out.

Looked and there is still snow on the mountains, so its still too nasty to go up there / take this Old Bod camping.

Enjoy!
        Last edited by Happy Joe; 03-27-2020, 08:42 AM.
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

They haven't shut down Indiana's State Park campgrounds yet, but they are still in off-season mode with most offering no amenities besides electric anyway (no restrooms, nature centers, etc.). Changes right now to camp, you must use the online reservation system (no paying at a box or the Ranger when they visit you the first night). Gatehouses are closed and or selling any wood supply, etc. Really....primitive with electric.

We will see when they switch to seasonal dates shortly what decisions are made. I'd be ok with the primitive as is...but some fools will still come out when it gets nice and trash the place with no bathrooms open. And they will shut down our IN campgrounds. booooo.

And I would love to get out RIGHT NOW since they are open, but the weather on my open calendar dates refuses to give me anything but rain. boooo again!
          2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
          Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
          Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
          Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I am thankful that I am able to work from home. My husband main account is a paper mill and is considered an essential business so he is working. He has to interact with a lot of people that I don’t really believe this is serious. He just tries to be careful.

We are wondering if we’re going to have to cancel our trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway in May. I was not only looking forward to doing some camping, I was looking forward to seeing my daughter in North Carolina.

As Hoosier said the Indiana State Parks are open. We went a couple of weeks ago. It was really a nice time we had the whole primitive section to ourselves. One of the reasons we got the RV was so we could camp in the winter time and I have to admit I’m really enjoying the furnace and the solar. Even in the rain I enjoy sitting nature away from the city hustle bustle. there is so many weekends we lost camping in it with the tent because of the rain. So I’m starting to come around. We were planning to camp this weekend but have decided to say home. Going camping still requires getting gas, getting propane and getting firewood. Plus our last trip there I ended up having to clean the bathroom and pick up trash.

Comment

I work construction and am considered an essential industry. If I wasn't I would be heading for the hills again. The campgrounds may be closed but the forest isn't and Primative camping is still allowed.

If you are not familiar with primative camping check your NF website and get informed. Here the biggest things are no camping more then 300 feet off roads. Use established fire pits whenever possible. And for the love of God clean up after yourself. After you are packed up you should walk around your campsite and look for dropped or blown trash.....even if it isn't yours.

Stay safe everyone
              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

Wisconsin state parks are open, but they shut down camping until April 30th. One of my annual trips got cancelled. And now I'm worried about BACONFEST 2020 (May 15-17). I want to be a responsible host, but I also am dying to get out camping!

Comment

IN campgrounds are now closed also. Day use in parks. See below.

Important COVID-19 Update 04/06/20: Indiana State Parks remain OPEN for day use only with entrance fees temporarily suspended. All campgrounds (modern, equestrian, primitive, rent-a-camp, group and rally camps) are CLOSED effective April 6, 2020 through April 20, 2020. All those with reservations will be contacted by our Central Reservation System and reservations will be fully refunded with no cancellation fees. For those who wish to reschedule for a later date instead, cancellation and transfer fees will be waived. This timeframe may be extended. For the most up-to-date information about COVID-19 and DNR properties, visit on.IN.gov/dnrcovid19.
                  2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                  Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                  Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                  Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                    IN campgrounds are now closed also. Day use in parks. See below.

Important COVID-19 Update 04/06/20: Indiana State Parks remain OPEN for day use only with entrance fees temporarily suspended. All campgrounds (modern, equestrian, primitive, rent-a-camp, group and rally camps) are CLOSED effective April 6, 2020 through April 20, 2020. All those with reservations will be contacted by our Central Reservation System and reservations will be fully refunded with no cancellation fees. For those who wish to reschedule for a later date instead, cancellation and transfer fees will be waived. This timeframe may be extended. For the most up-to-date information about COVID-19 and DNR properties, visit on.IN.gov/dnrcovid19.
                    Friday I received a call that my position has been eliminated. I was going to make a reservation to go camping and de-stress and the campgrounds closed. It is probably a better idea to stay home anyway.

Comment

Basicly, not much change for me. Retired, no social life. I am currently housebound due to health problems, so getting out into public is not desired. The local shooting range and camp areas are closed. Got plenty of food and meds, enough hobbies to keep me entertained. Only personal contact is my sister once a week, to help with some chores. No actual contact, so hoping I don't get the Corona Crud. I am in the "endangered group". Good so far.
                      Got my camper van parked here, so I can "yard camp", with electrical and water hookup.
                      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Glad you are doing well. Stay safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
                          Basicly, not much change for me. Retired, no social life. I am currently housebound due to health problems, so getting out into public is not desired. The local shooting range and camp areas are closed. Got plenty of food and meds, enough hobbies to keep me entertained. Only personal contact is my sister once a week, to help with some chores. No actual contact, so hoping I don't get the Corona Crud. I am in the "endangered group". Good so far.
                          Got my camper van parked here, so I can "yard camp", with electrical and water hookup.
                          Yep! me too (minus the camper).
                          Got to make a medicine run (blood pressure) today.

...thinking about getting a 10'x20' canopy to enhance the camping this year, not sure if I have enough room in the Jeep, to haul it, though.
                          The current 10x10 canopy is fine for the tent but it really needs an awning, which the larger canopy would give me, 10x10 for the tent and 10x10 for the porch!

Enjoy!
                          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I reached a decision Last night (early this morning); I am no longer going to be a victim of the fear/panic promoted by the mainstream media.
                            from all of my online research, it looks like we will be extremely lucky if a vaccination can be developed for the chinese/wuhan virus (Covid -19). So having lived through many bouts for the flu (only slightly less dangerous than than covid, IMO; I have decided to go back to living, pretty much, like I did before there were any flu shots, with the addition of a N or P 95 mask when in groups, and gloves when I expect to touch things like shopping carts/public door handles. I keep the mask and gloves in the vehicle.

I am going to continue back country primitive camping and get back to enjoying life.

I am going to stop watching or paying any attention to the main stream media misinformation/propaganda... Noticed that "they" cannot even get the statistics right i.e. the 85,000 deaths promoted as being because of covid include, apparently, flu deaths and heart attack,s old age etc (as long as there are at least some symptoms, or a positive test, many deaths get reported as covid related whether covid is the actual cause or not) the truthful way to report this number is deaths WITH covid then to report flu and other deaths separately so that they can be easily subtracted out, IMO.

I really hope that a cure can be developed but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Take back your life and go camping! But be careful around others and in "civilized" public spaces; take common sense precautions.
                            ...and most of all ...

Enjoy!
                            Last edited by Happy Joe; 05-15-2020, 06:26 AM.

Comment

As stated before, not much has changed for me. I have managed to get out twice in the last couple months and I am currently working on planning my next trip which will be my first backpacking trip. Camping IS social distancing. Go out and have fun.
                              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                              – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                              X