But I Had a Great Vacation...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But I Had a Great Vacation...

So, I went to Death Valley last December. Drove home straight on the 22nd - 10 hours with just two quick stops. Got home at 6:30 pm. Pulled up in front of the house to find a huge pile of rubbish in the front yard. First thought: who dumped their crap there!

Then noticed my couch in the pile and my front door wide open. Second thought: Oh sheet there was a fire.

But alas no fire damage to be seen. Realized my house was broken into. And my motorhome was stolen. Called the police. Waited til they showed up then went inside. They took everything of value and trashed everything else! And I mean EVERYTHING!

Took all the usual: jewelry, china, medications, furniture, shoes, electronics, appliances, etc. But they also took other stuff like my shower head, towel bar, white board calendars... They even dumped my dead pets' ashes and took the wooden boxes! The hair dye I had just bought before the trip to use when I got back...

The stuff they left was either tossed out front broken and to see ruined in the rain or they trashed it inside the house.

Police came and filed the report. It apparently started a few days earlier - a couple neighbors confronted people seen on my property - including one trying to push my motorhome out of the driveway. They called the police, but we hadn't ever exchanged numbers so no one could reach me in Death Valley.

At 8:30 pm, they put an APB on my motorhome. At 10:30 pm, while CSI was pulling prints and taking photos of the house, they found my motorhome several blocks away.

They found the title to the motorhome, which had been in a desk upstairs which was stolen, with it signed over to someone. Everything that had been stored in the motorhome was gone, and things that had been in the house were found in the motorhome. The motorhome had been hotwired.

By midnight, we were waiting for AAA to come tow the motorhome to my regular shop. Finally got all that done by 4 am. Then drove the cats, dogs and parrot to my cousin's house to crash.

The next week was spent contacting banks, credit card companies, social security, passport office, home insurance, motorhome insurance, etc., reporting the theft (I had all my credit cards with me, but they got all my passwords to everything when they stole the computer and hard drives). They also stole my mother's death certificate so they had the answers to most every security question.

As the place was trashed, I couldn't stay there. We boarded up the back door and locked up the front. Found they had changed out the deadbolt even. Changed all the locks the next day. During Christmas week, they broke back in every day. On Thursday, when we called the police and theycame out, I got an officer with an attitude. He acted like I was wasting his time and told me it was tweakers breaking in and they'd do it that night also. He made it clear that I shouldn't bother calling them back out the next morning when it was broken into again.

So Friday morning, I went to the house at 8 am to meet the alarm company. Yep. They had broken the back door again. So, since the officer said it was tweakers, I unlocked the front door and yelled out "you've got 30 seconds to get the f out of my house before I call 911!". I figured the tweakers would run out the back door. I waited the 3 0-60 seconds, then opened the door and stepped just inside. There sitting in my living room going through my papers that had been trashed throughout the house, burning things in my fireplace and running my heater full blast (which I had turned off the day before) were three of the burglars!!! Verbal Man got up and said "this ain't your house. You don't live here and you ain't callin nobody!". I replied " like he11 I ain't! 9 1 1! As I dialed. As soon as they answered, Straw Haired Lady got up and said "I don't know nothin bout this. I don't want no trouble.". I had just stepped back out onto the porch talking to 911 as she walked out the door. Silent Man followed right behind her. Then Verbal Man started to walk out. Straw Haired Lady got into the car parked on the street and drove away as the two men walked in the same direction. The police caught Straw Haired Lady and Silent Man a few blocks away. Verbal Man is still AWOL. The officer who came out to take my report was great. At one point he talked to his superior on the phone and told him what had taken place. When I told him we would be cleaning up the place that day and I would be moving back in, he made it very clear that i f anything suspicious happened to call the police... I suspect that other officer got in a bit of trouble over his attitude.

Since then, we have been cleaning up, making repairs, replacing furniture, appliances, and fixtures. The dogs came home with me that Friday. The cats and parrot stayed with my cousin for another week. They stole the parrot's cage (along with his deceased sister's cage), so Christmas Eve I had to make an emergency purchase. Needless tosay, he got a home upgrade as the only acceptable cage in stock was twice as big as his old one.

The Cat ended up with a urinary tract infection due to the stress. Batdog has had to deal with people coming in and out of her home pretty much every day. Moose-dog got very very confused and had a major downhill swing to the point I thought I'd have to take him in. Fortunately, once I got him moved back home, he bounced back. Dog-bird had been very stressed, increased due to being confined in his travel cage for over two weeks. The Cat in Training seemed to enjoy staying with my cousin, but was very timid when I came over to visit.

As of now, I finally got the new water heater installed (had one plumber have health issues, the second turned into the plumber from he11, and the third was great - but took over a month to get it done between all that). So during that time, I was driving 30 minutes to my cousin's for showers whenever I could step away from all the work.

Straw Haired Lady and Silent Man are being prosecuted. Trial is set for March 25th. I already testified at the preliminary hearing.

The homeowners insurance company adjuster is a major biotch! She ignored my calls for over a week - even though she was in the office the entire time - and then got mad because I started cleaning up and replacing the back door before she sent an inspector out. Nevermind I called and left messages every day telling her I needed to secure the place and clean it up so people would stop breaking in. Then she ignored me for another couple weeks until I submitted the estimate for the water heater install - when she immediately responded to say it wasn't covered under my plan. When I pointed out that she had just sent an initial check for the new heater, she told me that was for the damage only. I pointed out the itemization included with the check stated "one 40 gallon water heater". She has been "looking into that" ever since. Then she told me that I needed to have submitted my stolen property receipts to my adjuster when he had come out for the inspection. In an email I replied that "he told me he was just an inspector and that he only dealt with the structural issues. I was told that YOU are my adjuster." She then called me to reprimand me for my attitude and for yelling at her in all caps. She said that if I kept having an attitude she would not assist me anymore.

Needless to say that when this is done, she will be reported to the insurance commissioner and the BBB. The company is First American - if you have them change now. I will change as soon as I am able without an insurance increase.

On the flipside, I have State Farm for the motorhome and they have been wonderful! Call me back the same day. Polite and sympathetic. Explain their policies. Willing to find ways to work with me. Dealt with the shop quickly and efficiently.

The other company that stands out is OptumRx. I had just had a couple major medications filled (90 day supplies) right before my trip. The burglars took all my meds. Homeowners insurance only covers up to $500 for stolen meds. Rx insurance doesn't have anything for stolen meds - it comes out of your pocket. However, when they heard what had happened, they bent over backwards to find a solution to keep me from having to pay out of pocket. They ended up pushing through a 2-month vacation supply (my policy normally only allows one month) so that I would have enough to get through til my next regular fill schedule.

But, I had a great vacation! Death Valley was amazing! Have to re-process some of the photos, but here are a few.
    Attached Files
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Re: But I Had a Great Vacation...

After that nightmare, I have to commend you on your ability to focus on the positives of your trip. Me? I'm angry enough at humans just in dealing with the everyday crap. In fact, I asked a friend of mine the other day where they draw the line between curmudgeon and sociopath. I'm just sick to death with what insanity (to keep it clean) people are capable of perpetrating. Faced with what you're dealing with I'd probably wind up in jail - or worse.

Hope you get this all cleared up quickly!

Comment

Thanks. I think having been on a great vacation and being retired made a major difference in my emotional state.

First, I was just so happy all the animals were with me and safe. They would have sold Dog-bird and the others would be dead.

Second, I was not stressed out from life so I wasn't adding stress on top of stress.

And, I had a friend who had been a casual friend really go above and beyond anything I could have asked for and was there everyday helping no matter what I needed.

And I had a really really great vacation! :mdr:

I keep remembering: it was only stuff; no animals were harmed; I'm getting to update my home all at once; I had my camera equipment and my grandmother's ring with me; and my house didn't burn down.

And Straw Haired Lady and Silent Man are locked up until the trial - they obviously have priors.
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

So I processed a few more photos. I really enjoyed the trip. Stayed at the Stovepipe Wells campground. It was a parking lot, but I liked it a lot better than Furnace Creek. Its location was by itself, but in the middle of the park, so it was easy to pick a direction and go. It was not as crowded as Furnace Creek.

Places I visited:
        Badwater Basin
        Natural Bridge
        Artists Palette
        Devil's Golf Course
        Devil's Cornfield
        20 Mule Team Canyon Drive
        Salt Creek
        Borax Works
        Dante's View
        Ubehebe Crater
        Racetrack
        Zabriskie Point
        Father Crowley Vista
        Charcoal Kilns
        Titus Canyon Road
        Rhyolite
        Aguerreberry Point
        Eureka Mine
        Attached Files
        Last edited by toedtoes; 02-24-2020, 12:09 AM.

Comment

The critters had a blast. The dogs rode around with me everyday all day. They were able to walk on some of the roads - 20 Mule Team Canyon Rd and Titus Canyon Road. The cats stayed at camp with the bird, but went for walks around the campground every day. The Cat preferred going out at night. Here he is staring down a kit fox that was checking out the campground (the white light to the right of the photo is his eyes). The fox decided to move on while The Cat said he could take that fox. The Cat was going after him... The Cat in Training preferred to go out during the day. He spent most days working on digging his hole by a tree. This was taken while he was resting (I photoshopped out his collar and leash). The bird enjoyed the company of the ravens.
          Attached Files

Comment

Wow, after all that you can still be positive. As Mac said, you should be commended. No one should have to go through this. I am glad you had a wonderful vacation. Great pictures.

Comment

Thursday my power went out. I thought it was an outage, but it turns out the burglars called the automated system and had my electric shut off. Took 2 months for the power to cut off.

I'm not sure if they did it to support their claim that I had moved out or to shut down any powered security systems. Just one more thing to use against them in court - showing they accessed my belongings (either computer for online access or papers in my desk for personal info). Hopefully a jury will convict them.

Comment

I feel bad for you. Your house should be a safe place. Years ago we had someone break in our house and steal electronics and furniture ETC. It was like they were furnishing their own home with what they took. They also stole my Corvette out of it's winter storage. We didn't have your level of violation, but it took awhile to be comfortable in our own space again. Hope your life returns to normal and you get some kind of justice out of all this.

Comment

Thanks.

The weird thing is that I still feel safe in my home. And I still love it. They didn't take that from me.

I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed Death Valley. It was perfect weather, people but no awful crowds, and even a flash back memory to my 6th grade year: I had bought my teacher a pretty candle for Christmas. Over the holidays, she and her husband (my 5th grade teacher) sent me a postcqrd of Scotty's Castle saying how the candle lit up their popup trailer in the evenings. The memory clicked when I saw some earrings at the shop made from string art. It reminded me of making string art in the traditional style (use straight lines to make a curve) in her class and then the rest came popping back.

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                    So, I went to Death Valley last December. Drove home straight on the 22nd - 10 hours with just two quick stops. Got home at 6:30 pm. Pulled up in front of the house to find a huge pile of rubbish in the front yard. First thought: who dumped their crap there!

Then noticed my couch in the pile and my front door wide open. Second thought: Oh sheet there was a fire.

But alas no fire damage to be seen. Realized my house was broken into. And my motorhome was stolen. Called the police. Waited til they showed up then went inside. They took everything of value and trashed everything else! And I mean EVERYTHING!

Took all the usual: jewelry, china, medications, furniture, shoes, electronics, appliances, etc. But they also took other stuff like my shower head, towel bar, white board calendars... They even dumped my dead pets' ashes and took the wooden boxes! The hair dye I had just bought before the trip to use when I got back...

The stuff they left was either tossed out front broken and to see ruined in the rain or they trashed it inside the house.

Police came and filed the report. It apparently started a few days earlier - a couple neighbors confronted people seen on my property - including one trying to push my motorhome out of the driveway. They called the police, but we hadn't ever exchanged numbers so no one could reach me in Death Valley.

At 8:30 pm, they put an APB on my motorhome. At 10:30 pm, while CSI was pulling prints and taking photos of the house, they found my motorhome several blocks away.

They found the title to the motorhome, which had been in a desk upstairs which was stolen, with it signed over to someone. Everything that had been stored in the motorhome was gone, and things that had been in the house were found in the motorhome. The motorhome had been hotwired.

By midnight, we were waiting for AAA to come tow the motorhome to my regular shop. Finally got all that done by 4 am. Then drove the cats, dogs and parrot to my cousin's house to crash.

The next week was spent contacting banks, credit card companies, social security, passport office, home insurance, motorhome insurance, etc., reporting the theft (I had all my credit cards with me, but they got all my passwords to everything when they stole the computer and hard drives). They also stole my mother's death certificate so they had the answers to most every security question.

As the place was trashed, I couldn't stay there. We boarded up the back door and locked up the front. Found they had changed out the deadbolt even. Changed all the locks the next day. During Christmas week, they broke back in every day. On Thursday, when we called the police and theycame out, I got an officer with an attitude. He acted like I was wasting his time and told me it was tweakers breaking in and they'd do it that night also. He made it clear that I shouldn't bother calling them back out the next morning when it was broken into again.

So Friday morning, I went to the house at 8 am to meet the alarm company. Yep. They had broken the back door again. So, since the officer said it was tweakers, I unlocked the front door and yelled out "you've got 30 seconds to get the f out of my house before I call 911!". I figured the tweakers would run out the back door. I waited the 3 0-60 seconds, then opened the door and stepped just inside. There sitting in my living room going through my papers that had been trashed throughout the house, burning things in my fireplace and running my heater full blast (which I had turned off the day before) were three of the burglars!!! Verbal Man got up and said "this ain't your house. You don't live here and you ain't callin nobody!". I replied " like he11 I ain't! 9 1 1! As I dialed. As soon as they answered, Straw Haired Lady got up and said "I don't know nothin bout this. I don't want no trouble.". I had just stepped back out onto the porch talking to 911 as she walked out the door. Silent Man followed right behind her. Then Verbal Man started to walk out. Straw Haired Lady got into the car parked on the street and drove away as the two men walked in the same direction. The police caught Straw Haired Lady and Silent Man a few blocks away. Verbal Man is still AWOL. The officer who came out to take my report was great. At one point he talked to his superior on the phone and told him what had taken place. When I told him we would be cleaning up the place that day and I would be moving back in, he made it very clear that i f anything suspicious happened to call the police... I suspect that other officer got in a bit of trouble over his attitude.

Since then, we have been cleaning up, making repairs, replacing furniture, appliances, and fixtures. The dogs came home with me that Friday. The cats and parrot stayed with my cousin for another week. They stole the parrot's cage (along with his deceased sister's cage), so Christmas Eve I had to make an emergency purchase. Needless tosay, he got a home upgrade as the only acceptable cage in stock was twice as big as his old one.

The Cat ended up with a urinary tract infection due to the stress. Batdog has had to deal with people coming in and out of her home pretty much every day. Moose-dog got very very confused and had a major downhill swing to the point I thought I'd have to take him in. Fortunately, once I got him moved back home, he bounced back. Dog-bird had been very stressed, increased due to being confined in his travel cage for over two weeks. The Cat in Training seemed to enjoy staying with my cousin, but was very timid when I came over to visit.

As of now, I finally got the new water heater installed (had one plumber have health issues, the second turned into the plumber from he11, and the third was great - but took over a month to get it done between all that). So during that time, I was driving 30 minutes to my cousin's for showers whenever I could step away from all the work.

Straw Haired Lady and Silent Man are being prosecuted. Trial is set for March 25th. I already testified at the preliminary hearing.

The homeowners insurance company adjuster is a major biotch! She ignored my calls for over a week - even though she was in the office the entire time - and then got mad because I started cleaning up and replacing the back door before she sent an inspector out. Nevermind I called and left messages every day telling her I needed to secure the place and clean it up so people would stop breaking in. Then she ignored me for another couple weeks until I submitted the estimate for the water heater install - when she immediately responded to say it wasn't covered under my plan. When I pointed out that she had just sent an initial check for the new heater, she told me that was for the damage only. I pointed out the itemization included with the check stated "one 40 gallon water heater". She has been "looking into that" ever since. Then she told me that I needed to have submitted my stolen property receipts to my adjuster when he had come out for the inspection. In an email I replied that "he told me he was just an inspector and that he only dealt with the structural issues. I was told that YOU are my adjuster." She then called me to reprimand me for my attitude and for yelling at her in all caps. She said that if I kept having an attitude she would not assist me anymore.

Needless to say that when this is done, she will be reported to the insurance commissioner and the BBB. The company is First American - if you have them change now. I will change as soon as I am able without an insurance increase.

On the flipside, I have State Farm for the motorhome and they have been wonderful! Call me back the same day. Polite and sympathetic. Explain their policies. Willing to find ways to work with me. Dealt with the shop quickly and efficiently.

The other company that stands out is OptumRx. I had just had a couple major medications filled (90 day supplies) right before my trip. The burglars took all my meds. Homeowners insurance only covers up to $500 for stolen meds. Rx insurance doesn't have anything for stolen meds - it comes out of your pocket. However, when they heard what had happened, they bent over backwards to find a solution to keep me from having to pay out of pocket. They ended up pushing through a 2-month vacation supply (my policy normally only allows one month) so that I would have enough to get through til my next regular fill schedule.

But, I had a great vacation! Death Valley was amazing! Have to re-process some of the photos, but here are a few.
                    I would have shot them when I found them in my house. I am not a gun guy, I have a 9mm that sits in my closet and been fired a total of zero times. While I am sure it would have been stolen, it would also have been one of the first things replaced.....probably with a shot gun.
                    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                    – E. B. White

Comment

I didn't expect to find the burglars back in my house. I expected tweakers. But they are being held in jail until the trial. Once the two were arrested, there were no more tresspassers. So that should help with the trial.

Friday evening, Dog-bird had a major stroke. He didn't make it. He was at least 38 years old, probably around 40-45. Amazons live to about 45 years. He had many mini-strokes over the years, but this was his first major one. He went painlessly and peacefully. He did manage a good bite to me and one to the vet.

I came home to the new expensive empty bird cage that he got after the burglary and couldn't bear putting it in the garage. So I contacted the local parrot rescue. Saturday, a nice Red Lored Amazon came home with me. We're still working on a screen name for her. She's 19 years old. She's my first non - "grumpy old man" bird. She took to me right away and seems to be prepared to be a camping bird.

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                        I didn't expect to find the burglars back in my house. I expected tweakers. But they are being held in jail until the trial. Once the two were arrested, there were no more tresspassers. So that should help with the trial.

Friday evening, Dog-bird had a major stroke. He didn't make it. He was at least 38 years old, probably around 40-45. Amazons live to about 45 years. He had many mini-strokes over the years, but this was his first major one. He went painlessly and peacefully. He did manage a good bite to me and one to the vet.

I came home to the new expensive empty bird cage that he got after the burglary and couldn't bear putting it in the garage. So I contacted the local parrot rescue. Saturday, a nice Red Lored Amazon came home with me. We're still working on a screen name for her. She's 19 years old. She's my first non - "grumpy old man" bird. She took to me right away and seems to be prepared to be a camping bird.
                        Oh, I am sorry to hear about Dog-bird. He always sounded like a good friend...if a little grumpy. I hope you have a lot of fun with your new bird.
                        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                        – E. B. White

Comment

Oh my God! I couldn't believe what I was reading and totally expected it to be a joke with a punchline at the end because it is so devastating. I would be a mess if that happened to me. I'm thankful your pets were with you and they didn't have weapons. I'm just stunned.

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                            Oh, I am sorry to hear about Dog-bird. He always sounded like a good friend...if a little grumpy. I hope you have a lot of fun with your new bird.
                            Thanks. Dog-bird really was a great bird. He just handled life so well and enjoyed camping and road trips. We're still working on a screen name for the new bird - have to establish her personality and quirks. Her voice is a mix of R2D2 and a donkey...

Comment

Originally posted by Karla "with a k" View Post
                              Oh my God! I couldn't believe what I was reading and totally expected it to be a joke with a punchline at the end because it is so devastating. I would be a mess if that happened to me. I'm thankful your pets were with you and they didn't have weapons. I'm just stunned.
                              Yeah, I wish it had been a joke too. No weapons and no violence. I think that helps keep it all in perspective - it cold have been so much worse.

Comment

Working...
                              X