Guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guns

When I was young I would go out with my older brother and shoot his guns. He had a .22 rifle and a 12 guage shotgun. I sort of liked shooting the .22 but the shotgun (especially when he would buy slugs) hurt to shoot. I realized the other day that it turned me off to guns. Fast forward to a couple years ago and I shot my brothers hand gun on a family camping trip and it was kind of fun and planted a seed that maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to own one. Then last year my dog died. She wasn't just my buddy but was also my security system.

So, long story short I got a $300 gift card from work to Bass Pro and have talked my wife into getting a gun. Except I don't know ANYTHING about guns. So I am asking all of you for advice. I am looking at the Smith & Wesson SD9 VE. It is on sale for $300 but am open to advice.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Re: Guns

Originally posted by James. View Post
    When I was young I would go out with my older brother and shoot his guns. He had a .22 rifle and a 12 guage shotgun. I sort of liked shooting the .22 but the shotgun (especially when he would buy slugs) hurt to shoot. I realized the other day that it turned me off to guns. Fast forward to a couple years ago and I shot my brothers hand gun on a family camping trip and it was kind of fun and planted a seed that maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to own one. Then last year my dog died. She wasn't just my buddy but was also my security system.

So, long story short I got a $300 gift card from work to Bass Pro and have talked my wife into getting a gun. Except I don't know ANYTHING about guns. So I am asking all of you for advice. I am looking at the Smith & Wesson SD9 VE. It is on sale for $300 but am open to advice.

BTW, I asked my brother and his advice was to add a couple hundred bucks and get a nice gun :D
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

Over the decades I have had many firearms;
      ...I found that like most things it is best to clearly define your purpose before purchasing then find the best and most comfortable (in your opinion) firearm to fits your needs.

Things to avoid;
      Double action trigger pulls especially on the first shot; they normally require much more force and thus make a first round hit on the target much more difficult.
      Very high capacity magazines (in a carry arm); they just add weight the entire time that you are carrying.
      Over estimation of what a small caliber firearm, especially a pistol, will do; 9 mm is, IMO, essentially useless for wild life (bear) protection (except perhaps as a noise maker).

Things to do;
      Get GOOD hearing protection first! Comfort is critical.
      Get formal training, it hones skills and helps prevent initial bad habits (that later need to be overcome for serious shooting/competition).
      Shoot a wide variety of calibers and firearms first to help find something that you really like.
      To become GOOD you will need to shoot - a lot- consider reloading to ease the wallet strain.

Personally I favor a .22 target pistol or an, accurate, breakdown-able .22 rifle, for recreational shooting (fun with golf balls in a gravel pit or against a large dirt bank/mountain).
      I have several 9 mms and view them as comfortable (a hand gun must feel comfortable in the hand avoid the uncomfortable ones, like the plague) plinkers to help relax and get rid of the twitchies after a high caliber shooting session; essentially similar ballistics to the old .38 special...
      For serious self defense I would/did go larger.

Hope it helps...

Enjoy!
      Last edited by Happy Joe; 06-25-2019, 07:05 AM.
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

If you're looking for a defense weapon, I'd take another look at a shotgun. It may have hurt shooting it when you were a kid, but you're a BIG BOY NOW (LOL). If my skinny frame can handle it, I know you can. Shotguns have a couple of things going for them in particular that I really like. When dealing with humans, the SHNICK SHNACK sound is universal, so you don't have to speak the language of a potential threat to get their full attention. And, in a home defense situation and using the right shells, you don't get the potential wall penetrating power of handgun rounds. I keep a Mossberg 500 handy when camping. With a folding stock/pistol grip it's easily stashed and readily maneuverable.

Comment

Of course, be aware that to get that sound the shotgun needs to have a pump action (mine's a Remington 870). Also, for defense (human) and to aid in easing recoil, a 20 gauge may be preferred over 12 gauge. Larger shot as well (say #2 or differing sizes of buck shot).
          Where we've camped so far (as an adult...many more when I was a kid :-)

Comment

If this is for home protection, and target shooting, I would look at a full frame semi automatic in 9MM. Cheap to shoot and enough fire power to take someone down if needed. The larger the handgun the more comfortable it is to shoot. If you have a gun store with a range near by, go in and rent a couple guns you might be interested in and shoot them. What fits for one person may be different for another. Take a forearms class that includes range time. You need to know the legalities of firing a weapon, even in self defense. For concealed carry, I have a Rugar LC-9. Small, easy to conceal, but not a lot of fun to shoot, given it's small size and light weight. My favorite handgun for general use is a Springfield XD-s sub compact in 9MM. I can shoot that gun all day without fatigue.

Comment

Guns are a good investment....they don't decrease in value ...my dad is a retired police officer and collected all kinds of guns and I do the same.

Comment

I decided to get some sort of protection because I like to camp alone. After much reading on my own, I agree with the other folks who have said that you need to do some homework on what will work for you. Also, go to a range and shoot as many guns that fit your list of wants. Everyone has advise. Some tried to talk me into a revolver. Others said the semi-auto was the way to go. Just like tents, every firearm has its benefits and deficits. I made a decision based on what fit my hand, budget, and personality best.

And I think most important, if you are going to own and carry a firearm you must practice with it OFTEN. I continue to read that the best protection is a single, well-placed round. "Spray and pray" could kill an innocent person. So make sure to factor in range time (either membership or regular fees) and range ammo into your budget. If you are not ready to get some serious training and practice, please don't take a gun camping.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                  If you're looking for a defense weapon, I'd take another look at a shotgun. It may have hurt shooting it when you were a kid, but you're a BIG BOY NOW (LOL). If my skinny frame can handle it, I know you can. Shotguns have a couple of things going for them in particular that I really like. When dealing with humans, the SHNICK SHNACK sound is universal, so you don't have to speak the language of a potential threat to get their full attention. And, in a home defense situation and using the right shells, you don't get the potential wall penetrating power of handgun rounds. I keep a Mossberg 500 handy when camping. With a folding stock/pistol grip it's easily stashed and readily maneuverable.
                  Yep, and now add the fact that you just woke up, it's a very high stress situation, probably at night. Would you prefer to send one bullet down range or 21 double 00 buckshot pellets down range?
                  12 guage term 870 all the way for security
                  Nights camped in 2019: 24
                  Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                    Yep, and now add the fact that you just woke up, it's a very high stress situation, probably at night. Would you prefer to send one bullet down range or 21 double 00 buckshot pellets down range?
                    12 guage term 870 all the way for security
                    For home defense I recommend Bear spray (preferably with dye); the chances of a unrecoverable mistake are negligible.
                    For shotgun aficionados I normally recommend #4 buckshot since the innocent people on the other side of the wall will be much safer (much less penetration than 00 buckshot).

Enjoy!
                    Last edited by Happy Joe; 06-30-2019, 09:41 AM.
                    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Have you considered getting another dog?

Then you could get a gun that you'll enjoy shooting and not have to add "security" into the mix.

And a dog will also provide companionship and warmth on those solo camping trips - something no gun can ever do.
                      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                        For home defense I recommend Bear spray (preferably with dye); the chances of a unrecoverable mistake are negligible.
                        For shotgun aficionados I normally recommend #4 buckshot since the innocent people on the other side of the wall will be much safer (much less penetration than 00 buckshot).

Enjoy!
                        the benefit of a shotgun is multiple load set up.

Home
                        empty chamber with the trigger pulled, safety off. First thing i gotta do is chamber a round. The sound of a pump action shotgun chambering a round is a universal language. Hopefully the intruder will leave at that point. If not, i do use #4 birdshot to prevent over penetration. 6 rounds in the extended mag.

Mountains.
                        Round 1 in chamber is 00 RUBBER buckshot. Followed up by 6 rounds of 00 buckshot. Colorado DOW suggested the rubber buckshot. They said they would consider that a warning shot. If i had to fire again, out would be in self defense. Amdd less likely to try and nail your ass to the wall.

I live in CO, and i know the fire arm laws here.
                        Nights camped in 2019: 24
                        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                          Have you considered getting another dog?

Then you could get a gun that you'll enjoy shooting and not have to add "security" into the mix.

And a dog will also provide companionship and warmth on those solo camping trips - something no gun can ever do.
                          Unfortunately, in the world we live in, people shoot dogs. I'd also like to protect my companion.

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                            the benefit of a shotgun is multiple load set up.

Home
                            empty chamber with the trigger pulled, safety off. First thing i gotta do is chamber a round. The sound of a pump action shotgun chambering a round is a universal language. Hopefully the intruder will leave at that point. If not, i do use #4 birdshot to prevent over penetration. 6 rounds in the extended mag.

Mountains.
                            Round 1 in chamber is 00 RUBBER buckshot. Followed up by 6 rounds of 00 buckshot. Colorado DOW suggested the rubber buckshot. They said they would consider that a warning shot. If i had to fire again, out would be in self defense. Amdd less likely to try and nail your ass to the wall.

I live in CO, and i know the fire arm laws here.
                            No criticism intended; everyone must make their own decisions;
                            I recommend #4 buckshot (~0.24" diameter) for a compromise between stopping power and excessive wall penetration.

#4 bird shot is considerably smaller (~0.13" dia.)

https://www.hunter-ed.com/images/pdf...shot_sizes.pdf

I ALWAYS recommend bear spray (with dye; makes identifying the perp. easier) for home defense; because mistakes are not permanent and few people are willing/able to spend the time acquiring & maintaining firearms skills.... an additional benefit is that it, potentially, keeps a firearm out of criminal hands if you are the victim of a B&E (break and enter) when not home.

I recommend shooting primarily for enjoyment/recreation; of course skills may be transferable to defense if really necessary... (especially if you do practical police competitions/precision pistol competition).

... tried a shotgun for camp but the first "call of nature" trip into the bushes showed me how unlikely it was that it could/would be usefully deployed for defense.

Murphy wrote a law that basically says if something can go wrong it will.
                            ...so any firearm that is not at hand (in the tent/vehicle/leaning against a tree) will be too far away.

...though again its all up to the individual what decision to make...

Enjoy!
                            Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-01-2019, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                              Unfortunately, in the world we live in, people shoot dogs. I'd also like to protect my companion.
                              Each person is different. I was suggesting that for James as he didn't seem to feel the need for a gun for protection when his dog was with him, so the protection issue is recent since his dog's passing.
                              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Working...
                              X