Garmin InReach SE+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin InReach SE+

Heads up, Amazon has the SE for $289. That's $10 less than the mini is going for. And about $60 less than it has been selling for. I think it is going to be discontinued. It is the same as the higher priced Explorer but doesn't have the preloaded topographic maps or the navigation tools.

I got one yesterday. Set up easily. I did the Freedom Safety plan - $24.95 annual fee plus $14.95 per month for those months I activate it. I expect to activate it for trips in to the Sierras where cell service is bad, and big road trips where I may find myself in cellfree areas suddenly.

I have three preset messages - you can customize them from a computer, but when you select them, you only see the "preset 1" , "preset 2" , and "preset 3" , so I am keeping them standardized as:

Heading out on the road now.
    Stopping for the night now.
    Behind schedule but OK.

I can send as many of these as I want. You preset the recipients also.

Then I have up to 20 quick texts - these you pre-write from a computer, but can send them to whomever you want when you want. These are included in the 10 free texts per month - after that you pay per text. I have them written for specific issues: call AAA, I need a tow; being towed now; back on the road; at the border crossing; change of plans, will call when in cell range; in trouble, call police; etc. These will include my coordinates, so they can send help. I can send these to anyone I want.

There is also the SOS button. I like that it is covered against accidental use.

I did sign up for the emergency insurance plan - will pay up to $50,000 for emergency rescue costs per incident, up to $100,000 per year. $18.95 per year.

I'd been thinking about getting one for a while now, so when I saw the price, I decided to do it. Seems to me the annual fee went down from the last time I checked - I seem to recall it was closer to the device price.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Re: Garmin InReach SE+

Thanks for sharing. I've been thinking of one as I sometimes hike in areas with no other service. I like being able to pick your months for coverage.

Comment

Working...
    X