Dog-bird's New Backpack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog-bird's New Backpack

With the motorhome, Dog-bird rides in his travel cage that is strapped to the dinette table. He's happy because he can see everything around him and out all the windows.

With the SUV and trailer, the travel cage won't fit in the passenger seat, so he has had to ride in a plastic carrier. He hates it and shrieks and chews the entire time.

So, he just got his new backpack. He can see out in all directions! He went for a walk in the front yard. It can be worn (by me) as a backpack or a front pack. He prefers the front pack.

Now when we go camping, he can come for walks with us and sit on the beach, etc.
    Attached Files
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Re: Dog-bird's New Backpack

So, Dog-bird is your Bird friend. Tell us more! Can he not be free in your camper when you are traveling? Can you not cage him when you get to a rest stop, or otherwise need to restrain him for his safety? Just wondering about the logistics of traveling with a bird friend.

Comment

Dog-bird is a Mexican Red-Headed Amazon. He came to live with me in 2013 and was over 30 years old at the time (how much older is unknown). He started camping with me about a year after I got him.

Birds should never be loose in a vehicle. They fly, or try to fly if their wings are clipped, and can cause an accident. Not to mention, they are notorious for getting startled and flying out an open door or window.

They can also be very nervous, neurotic, and/or sensitive. So keeping them confined gives them a sense of security.

And, there are also 2 dogs with us and they will go after him if he gets startled.
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I'm loving Dog-bird. I've never had a bird, but have several friends who love them. To me, birds seem very fragile, and I'd be afraid to hurt one if I welcomed one into my home. Lucky you, having Dog-bird as a travel companion!

Comment

Birds aren't the best pets. Most parrots equate to having a 2 year old for 40+ years.

They are more likely to hurt you. They will bite! The biggest thing is that the way you handle them can cause them to mate-bond with you. And that creates neurotic behaviors in them.

Dog-bird isn't that bad. He doesn't chew as much as most parrots. But I can't make a phone call without him yelling. Since he doesn't like being held, I don't have to worry about him developing inappropriate attachments to me. And he doesn't scare easily.

Comment

Thank you for your honesty; it's important to have this kind of information before getting a new pet. I believe pet ownership is a commitment for that animal's lifetime. Considering the cost and commitment, people should make sure they are prepared. Over the years I've adopted a number of kitties and taken in rescue dogs, but at 62, I don't want to take in an animal that will outlive me. Good that you took in Dog-bird at a late age and are so good about accommodating his needs!

Comment

Unfortunately, many people get birds on impulse. The results can be disastrous. Birds won't let you know when they get sick, so you have to pay attention to very subtle changes. And by the time you do realize they are sick, it's a $1,000+ vet bill.

I really got lucky with Dog-bird. He's very easy going in most things. His biggest issue is he doesn't like to be held. So, I've compromised with him - if he gets on the ground, he has to get on my hand and I get to take a quick pet on his back before he tries to bite me. Then he is immediately placed back on his cage. I suspect the compromise is all in my head and in reality I'm the only one giving something up.

But we do agree on camping. So much nicer bringing him along instead of finding a sitter. Of course when we go to Canada, he'll have to get his birdie passport. Otherwise, he may be denied entry and called an illegal alien when we try to come back home.

Comment

Working...
              X