Propane Fridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propane Fridge

The thought occured to me the other day while I was watching a youtube channel on a guy living in his van. He was talking about his propane fridge. I started to realize that a fridge is just a big cooler that doesn't need ice. I know some of you have trailers with fridges in them. Do any of you have experience with propane fridges? I always have plenty of room in my truck. How quickly will it go through a 5lb tank. How fragile are they?

thanks,
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Re: Propane Fridge

It was years ago but I rented a trailer with a 3 way fridge in it; as I recall the Propane usage was a bit less than 2 pounds per day... also stayed in a "cabin" with an oil powered fridge once; didn't use it though; 'cause it needed a replacement wick.
    Right now the "expedition" folks mostly seem to favor 12 volt portable fridges like the ARB or Dometic... I accumulated an (El-cheep-O) Edgestar several years ago (at a discount) but found that I really need to drive every day (to recharge the vehicle battery) or have a large capacity battery bank (>100 Amp Hours) or a small generator to power it ...solar recharging (100 watt panel or greater) is do-able if you have lots of sun/no shade; (too much trouble for week end trips, IMO).
    Was, also, given a 12 volt, solid state/Peltier based, cooler that never worked well enough to use (scrapped it).

So far a high tech, Pelican cooler is sufficient for me...

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-21-2018, 07:51 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

A friend of mine has a smallish (6 cubic foot?) refrigerator in his camper and I seem to recall him saying he got just short of two weeks on a 20 pound can if he didn't cook a lot or use the propane for heat.

Comment

James - lol. You just fandangled a Yeti at work (nicely done). For my short trips under 5 days...I use the Yeti(s) with no issues. I think when/if I move to longer duration overland type trips....I may move to an ARB. But man...for the cost....you've really got to use that thing (I think it costs more than my house fridge/freezer). One more kid thru college...one more kid thru college...one more kid thru college. lolololol
        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I use my fridge all the time. I have a 40lb propane tank on the clipper. The fridge and hot water heater run on propane 24-7 when I'm camping. I cook on average 2 meals a day. I can go a good 30 days on the one tank.
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
            James - lol. You just fandangled a Yeti at work (nicely done). For my short trips under 5 days...I use the Yeti(s) with no issues. I think when/if I move to longer duration overland type trips....I may move to an ARB. But man...for the cost....you've really got to use that thing (I think it costs more than my house fridge/freezer). One more kid thru college...one more kid thru college...one more kid thru college. lolololol
            HAHAHA...you got me. The truth is that, like Mac, I am a tinkerer. I absolutely LOVE making my own stuff. Just off the top of my head I have plans on making 2 different wood burning stoves, remaking my truckbed tarp tent to be bigger, making a trailer tent and a pressurized shower...and a heavily foam insulated cooler that is kind of like the yetti.
            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
            – E. B. White

Comment

I use my 45 qt yeti to transport food to the campsite, and transfer to 3 in 1 fridge when it colks down. i haven't figured out how to cool the fridge down yet, and keep it cool during transport. But i think I am going to upgrade trailers next spring anyways, do i am not putting anymore time in it
              Nights camped in 2019: 24
              Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                The thought occured to me the other day while I was watching a youtube channel on a guy living in his van. He was talking about his propane fridge. I started to realize that a portable fridge is just a big cooler that doesn't need ice. I know some of you have trailers with fridges in them. Do any of you have experience with propane fridges? I always have plenty of room in my truck. How quickly will it go through a 5lb tank. How fragile are they?

thanks,
                Hey, myself and wife have just purchased a Campervan, T6 highline, it is quite a unique conversion, we don't have a fitted fridge in the van, we have a cupboard that's even kitted out with the 12v socket, and vents but....I cannot find a fridge that will fit it, and it looks like we have to got for a portable one, so any ideas on a decent one, not a huge one is needed, one that can hold the usuals, some small veg, salad bag, 2 pint milk etc, maybe a freezer too....although not sure about the power they use etc, can anyone advise. Also any other advice is very much appreciated.

Comment

I can't give you info on brands, etc, but I can say that most small fridges have lousy freezer sections. They rarely keep things frozen for more than a day or two.

It might be easier to take out the cupboard, install a fridge and then build new framing for it out of the old cupboard.
                  “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I have a portable compressor type fridge/freezer; ... don't remember the brand, that will keep ice cream frozen...works on either 12V DC or 120 volts AC.

It is on the bulky side and, usually, too much trouble to bring camping.... certainly not worth it to bring on a weekender.

For most camping I bring a high tech cooler powered by ice.

Enjoy!
                    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Working...
                    X