X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar shower

Recommendations for purchase of a solar shower. Any help much appreciated

Re: Solar shower

I have been pondering this for a while and have come up with nothing. What I would ideally like is one of the pressurized ones made out of PVC and mounted to my truck. The problem is that I don't have anywhere to mount it where it wouldn't be in the way of my tent which is in the bed of my truck.

With the bag ones I don't like that you have to find a tree to hang it on.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

Get a about a 2-3 gallon garden sprayer paint it black and attach a kitchen sink sprayer to the hose...its downsides are; that it is room/space intensive to pack (and will use half of a 5 gallon container of potable water if there isn't a clean stream nearby).
      Tried pumped engine heated showers; too much stuff and trouble.
      Tried solar bag showers; they kind of work, though I really don't find them satisfying (too little water at little pressure).

Mostly I save the shower for after I arrive back home; unless I expect to get really grubby (a week in the desert or actually doing heavy physical work in the back country).
      For moderate grubbiness far from "civilization" a traditional (circa 19th early 20th century) washbasin "sponge" bath (I don't use a sponge I use a washcloth) in the morning and before bed (sometimes, also, in the afternoon after the sweat dries) is usually enough.... If I can smell myself I saturate the wet washcloth with rubbing alcohol, 70%, if there is a burning sensation use less alcohol; then then do the (soap and water) sponge bath.

Enjoy!
      Last edited by Happy Joe; 06-28-2018, 07:01 AM.
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I used to play with those 3 gallon bags you hang up but they were just a pain to deal with. And I"ll second HJ's mentioning the waste of potable water. I found some great wet wipes at Walmart called Big Ones. They are, indeed, larger than any I've ever seen and they're also a bit thicker tnan most. Well... the ones that come in a 28 pack are. The ones tbat come in the plastic container aren't as large for some reason even they're still called Big Ones. The 28 packs are easier to pack IMO. They're surprisingly refreshing - I take one pack for every two days and don't come home feeling like I need to run to get a shower right away.

Edited to add:
        Walmart has the best price anywhere I've seen - even beating Amazon's bulk price.

Click pic for link.
        Last edited by MacGyver; 06-28-2018, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
          I used to play with those 3 gallon bags you hang up but they were just a pain to deal with.
          Agree. I use either wipes or a small wash clothe. Most of my trips are short, so I don't have much time to ferment.
          2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
          Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
          Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
          Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

We each have a small foldable cloth sink we use to wash up before crawling into bed. I found a carabiner to hold the handles together will help keep the sides from collapsing and allow for hanging on a stall door in some campgrounds.

http://www.amazon.com/Folding-Collapsible-Portable-Camping-Traveling/dp/B01A4C30UK/ref=pd_sbs_468_12?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01A4C30U K&pd_rd_r=C8B6KH20HQD6PDJG7GAR&pd_rd_w=QILi3&pd_rd _wg=OuVLG&refRID=C8B6KH20HQD6PDJG7GAR

Comment

I use wipes also. I bought a big box of costco wipes and have packs in my car, clipper and now fold n roll.

If the campground has a shower, I will use it (wearing flip flops) if needed.

If not, I keep a bottle of biodegradable soap to bathe in the creek/lake/river if needed. Easy enough to do in a bathing suit.

Edit: as kids going to 4-H camp, I remember showering every day while there. But somehow, every time on the way home when we'd stop for one last meet up at the A&W for lunch, we were all dirty and grimy. It was just part of the camping experience.
              Last edited by toedtoes; 06-29-2018, 09:59 AM.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Working...
              X