I'm King of the Mountain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm King of the Mountain

Been a crazy couple of weeks for me. Super busy at work and I am coming to the conclision that I need to get out of town. Thinking that I want to go either the week before or after the holliday weekend to avoid the crowds.

Two and a half weeks ago: My brother sends a family text to see if anyone wants to go camping with him and his kids the weekend of the 24th, leaving Friday morning. The thought of hanging out with neices and nephews and a for day camping trip sounds like fun and I sign on. He wants to go to Knoll Lake on the Mogollon Rim (popular place with several lakes in Coconino NF).

A week and a half ago: He tells me he didn't realize it was a holiday weekend and wnats to move it back a week. 😑 I tell him I have already scheduled the day off work and he has too plus I invited my daughters fiance (he couldn't make it) and he agrees that since we are going up Friday morning it will be alright.

A week ago: Late Saturday night I find out that Coconino is closing parts of the forest due to extremely high fire danger. Effective Wed 5/23. (The whole state is already at Stage 2 fire restrictions so no campfires or guns) Keep looking and holding my breath and they release the map. Everything north of the Rim (including Knoll Lake) is closed. Plus a few spots further north. From reading it also sounds like there are closures coming for the neighboring forests. Crap. Text my brother and he is unaware and thinks I am wrong because "they do controlled burns around Knoll all the time." He checks and I suggest one of my go to spots east of town. Its usually not crowded. He wants to take the kids to water and we decide to go to a place way 1.5 hours further north that I have never been to. But hey, its a lake and internet pictures look good.

Wednesday: I get a call from my brother and he is bailing on me. He says that he hasn't had any time to get anythung ready. Hasn't shopped or packed. Its BS. He seemed reluctant ever since he realized it was a.holiday weekend. Now that there are forest closures I think he was really worried about the crowds. I don't blame him. At least 2 other forests announce closures as well. Are all those people going to stay home or pack in to the remaining open places?

Now I have a decision to make. Do I go up north to the lake I have never been to or head to one of my usual spots? I decide that since I don't really have any lake gear, I will head east to the Tonto NF, however there is a lot of confusion on what exactly they have closed this is because they didn't put the closure map on their web site....just the order with the written discription. The ranger station is actually in town and just a couple miles from my house so I decide to check tlwith them. I ind out they closed THEIR part of the forest on the Rim and the Tonto Basin (a large area east of Phoenix and just west of Roosevelt Lake)....but I like to go to the east side of the lake because there are mountains with trees and its far enough from the lake that most people done even think about it....and that is still open.

Friday: I am still worried that there are going to be a bunch of people. Head out and am encouraged that I don't see much camping traffic on the road. But its still Friday and maybe people are still at work. Get to my favorite spot near the peak of the mountain and someone is there. Head to the top and while there are a few places to camp there it is completely empty. I have never camped up here and am wonderimg if the winds are too more than I want to deal with when a couple drive up to get some pictures. I decide to start setting up camp and end up talking with them for a while. Super nice and very familiar with the area. I get some good advice from them on future spots. (I am going to check out a couple on my way out)

So, long story short, its Saturday morning and I am still the only persone up here. Wondering if anyone is going to show up today but not to worried about it.

I just have a little scrap of internet and thought I would share some of the adventure....I'm not actually sure this post is going to go through.

When I get back I will try to share some pictures and give you the list of things I forgot which includes cooking tongs. ☺

Hope you all are having an adventure as well.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Re: I'm King of the Mountain

We had the opposite problem with the weather, although the holiday issue was the same. I have no clue why he did it, but one of the guys in my group decided to call the trip for Memorial Day weekend. "Really? Crowds? Didn't we swear we'd never do another holiday weekend?" I wasn't going no matter what they said, but I did try to go on a solo trip last week. Unfortunately, unlike Arizona, we had over a week of damn near constant rain - which of course started right before I wanted to go. I'll deal with breaking down in the rain if I have to, but I refuse to set up when I know everything's going to start out wet. I have no idea when I'll get to go now. Summer has kicked in and it's too damn hot and humid. Looking like Fall is going to be it - and that's a l-o-n-g way off! :(:(

Comment

Sorry to hear taht Mac. I am still king here. A handful of people have come up for the views. Had a forest ranger stop by and a team of guys from a NF in Montana that are working out here for 2 weeks. Tbey did something at the lookout tower but left after an hour or so.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

Sounds like it worked out for you in the end. And your brother sat home all weekend with disappointed kids... Karma!

I just got home from a clipper rally. The club is quickly dying - only 3 clippers there (another 4 non-clipper RVs came). Sitting in an RV park wasn't my preference. Now I'm home and the dogs and I are working on the fold n roll. Well, we were. Now we're napping out here.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Turns out I made the rignt decision to stay home. Thunderstorms and massive flooding don't make for a happy camper. Western MD seems prone to damaging floods - especially places like our beloved Green Ridge State Forest which borders on the Potomac River with tributaries throughout the park.

COME ON, FALL!!!

Comment

Well guys, here in the middle of the country I was able to spend a week in northeastern MO with NO RAIN! Very unusual for this time of year. There were showers in the state just not where we were camped. It did get hot but the breeze was always there and of course the friends and love of Bluegrass music made it very enjoyable. If it gets in the 90's when I go over the 4th of July to another festival I'll load up the stand alone air conditioner and hunt for shade. No boon docking in that heat! Best wishes for drying out and getting in more camping time!

Comment

Even here in the deep south, I don't mind Summer camping a bit. Hey, it's a DRY heat!
              2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Well, I had longtime plans to take vacation this past week and go camping. The week before, I broke my hand while snaking the sewer pipe. Tried to figure out how to make the trip work with my dominant hand useless.

This was my hand a week after the accident.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180607_120839-613x344.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	71037

Name:	IMG_20180607_134711-613x344.jpg
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	71038

Had a friend fill my fuel tanks in the clipper. Drove one-handed for 3-1/2 hours in the mountains. Had to ask a fellow camper to light my water heater. Managed everything else on my own. Dogs managed to throw themselves into the creek and get stuck. Had to ask for help getting them out. Stuck to the campsite and one spot of the creek the rest of the trip. Let the campers who helped me play with my telescope in payback.

Name:	IMG_20180611_182243.jpg
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	71039

So much better than sitting at home for the week or, worse, cancelling my vacation time.

Hand swelling is down, bruising is minimal. Still some pain and I can't use it but it seems to be healing nicely. Hoping it's healed by next month so I can take the FnR out.
                “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                  Well, I had longtime plans to take vacation this past week and go camping. The week before, I broke my hand while snaking the sewer pipe. Tried to figure out how to make the trip work with my dominant hand useless.

This was my hand a week after the accident.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]6365[/ATTACH]
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]6366[/ATTACH]

Had a friend fill my fuel tanks in the clipper. Drove one-handed for 3-1/2 hours in the mountains. Had to ask a fellow camper to light my water heater. Managed everything else on my own. Dogs managed to throw themselves into the creek and get stuck. Had to ask for help getting them out. Stuck to the campsite and one spot of the creek the rest of the trip. Let the campers who helped me play with my telescope in payback.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]6367[/ATTACH]

So much better than sitting at home for the week or, worse, cancelling my vacation time.

Hand swelling is down, bruising is minimal. Still some pain and I can't use it but it seems to be healing nicely. Hoping it's healed by next month so I can take the FnR out.
                  Wow. Glad you are doing better...and that you were able to make it out. Nothing worse than having to cancel vacation time.
                  – E. B. White

Comment

That looks like it hurt.
                    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

A couple years ago I had a kidney stone. I thought that pain was the worse ever. Not even close. This actually made me dizzy and lightheaded to the point I had to lay down on the ground for about 15 minutes so I wouldn't pass out.

Yeah, I was really dreading having to cancel my vacation - although my boss was looking forward to it. Had a great time - no cell connection, so just read and relaxed the entire time.

Comment

Working...
                      X