Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Off Topic. I love Arizona.

Awesome picture James.

I miss Arizona. As stunning as it is in the Rockies, I still miss Arizona.

Especially in the winter.

Coming from other parts of the country, its sometimes difficult for people to grasp the scale of the west and southwest, and how far you can see well.

Comment

We are in Page, AZ right now. It is beautiful here but this week has been hot. It has been 100 Degrees almost every day. Today in the high 90’s. I find although I appreciate the beauty, the sand wears on me. We may try again in the winter in a few years, but go to one of the National Forests.

Comment

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post
        We are in Page, AZ right now. It is beautiful here but this week has been hot. It has been 100 Degrees almost every day. Today in the high 90’s. I find although I appreciate the beauty, the sand wears on me. We may try again in the winter in a few years, but go to one of the National Forests.
        I dont know what your itinerary is, but if you have time, drive over to the North Kaibab plateau, the high country that Jacobs Lake and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon is on. Its higher elevation and much cooler, covered with Ponderosa Pine forest. We used to make a trip or two on our motorcycles each summer there to camp and get out of the heat. I think theres developed campgrounds around Jacobs Lake and dispersed National Forest camping all over the Plateau. Really nice country.

The drive over is pretty spectacular, Lees Ferry, and Vermilion Cliffs being on the way. Nice to get your feet wet in the Colorado River at the ferry and cool off. Theres a historical marker on the way noting that I believe Father Keno had been through there I think in the 1500s.

If not able to go there, if youre heading north, theres some National Forest country all over southern Utah with scattered high country and cooler temps.

Comment

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post
          Originally posted by Malamute View Post
          I dont know what your itinerary is, but if you have time, drive over to the North Kaibab plateau, the high country that Jacobs Lake and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon is on. Its higher elevation and much cooler, covered with Ponderosa Pine forest. We used to make a trip or two on our motorcycles each summer there to camp and get out of the heat. I think theres developed campgrounds around Jacobs Lake and dispersed National Forest camping all over the Plateau. Really nice country.

The drive over is pretty spectacular, Lees Ferry, and Vermilion Cliffs being on the way. Nice to get your feet wet in the Colorado River at the ferry and cool off. Theres a historical marker on the way noting that I believe Father Keno had been through there I think in the 1500s.

If not able to go there, if youre heading north, theres some National Forest country all over southern Utah with scattered high country and cooler temps.
          Second this. Head in to the forest. You will be happier.
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by Malamute View Post

The ranger at the Grand Canyon suggested the forest also. We had plans to go to the Grand Staircase.
            we did leave Lake Powell. We found at Otter Creek State Park last night in Utah. It was really nice. We are going to Fruita Campground in Capital Reef NP. Much cooler temps.

Comment

Working...
            X