Where should I go camping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where should I go camping?

I am looking for a little input from everyone. I am heading out Friday and haven't settled on a place yet which isn't that unusual for me because I am a dispersed camper so I don't need a campground and Arizona is great for that. I usually like to pick a new area using Google maps so I have a general idea of where I want to be and then drive up there and look around until I find a spot I like. And that is what I was going to do. On a Cardinals message board someone posted some pictures of a place that looked great and wasn't too far from my house. I got a few specifics from him and decided that I would check it out.

Here is my dilemma. I like to camp near running water whenever possible. It isn't always easy as I live in Arizona where 'river' doesn't necessarily mean water but we had a pretty good rain here the last couple days. Probably not a big deal in much of the country but here in the desert it means that the streams and rivers are going to be running. The area I was planning on going looks like it might have one stream but not having been to that area I don't know if there is anywhere to camp there.

So, here is my question. Should I go to an area that I know I can get close to a stream and take advantage of the recent rain fall or go someplace new which, I will admit is always a fun adventure but may or may not have water?

Or there is the third option of going to a place that I have been to a few times but never actually camped that has no water but I have been wanting to camp there for a couple years. Its a mesa that juts out from the side of a mountain. No trees but the views are insane.
    New spots are always best and there IS a stream...maybe.
    40.00%
    How do you think you are, Luis and Clark? You have to take advantage of the rainfall while its here.
    20.00%
    I want to see those views. Go to the spot where you know the views are amazing.
    40.00%
    Do I look like your travel planner? Figure it out yourself.
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by James.; 03-01-2017, 09:25 AM.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Re: Where should I go camping?

I too like streams.
    A new spot might be worth a gamble... even if there is no stream you will know if its worth returning so I say: Go fer it!

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I say go for a guaranteed stream. You can always do the non-water locations later in the season, but if you don't hit water now, you may not have another chance for a long while.
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I voted for the insane views...with some explanation. As I recall, it's been awhile since you've been out...if you know you're going to be able to camp again after this trip....then go to the spot with running water, take advantage of the rainfall and kick back. If there is some doubt about when your "next time" out may be...then I might make this trip to that spot with the insane views. The one I have been thinking about camping at for several years...and haven't had the chance. Figure out a way to carry / stay hydrated and do it.

Besides, won't that "no water" spot with the insane views be even hotter/dryer later on this season, amplifying the need for water and making that site even more inaccessible? Just thinking out loud on the thread......
        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Insane views campsite as long as it's easy to transport or filter water.
          Bring your camera since it sounds like you may not be back anytime soon.
          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Well. I guess asking this bunch failed to get you a camping site... :gasp:
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
              Well. I guess asking this bunch failed to get you a camping site... :gasp:
              Well, to be fair there WAS a good site. I just didn't grab it when I should have.
              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
              X