Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What changes toyour camping (gear/ techniques) are youpplanning for this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What changes toyour camping (gear/ techniques) are youpplanning for this year?

I don't like lifting my hitch rack if I can avoid it. I stand it on end to move it and walk it on the corners. I can lay it down behind the truck and lift the side with the tenon that goes in the hitch, get it set into the edge of the hitch socket, then lift the back side until it slides in. I just pull it out and let it drop when removing it. Its gravel where I usually hook mine up, so I'm not too worried about it. If I have help we can each get a side and slide it in or out.

I worried about my hitch rack getting hit in parking lots at night, I got some of the long red and white reflective stickers and put them on the back corners.

Comment

Re: What changes toyour camping (gear/ techniques) are youpplanning for this year?

It would have to lie flat, so you'd need a bit more storage space, but if you've got the room, it shouldn't be too hard to make a custom dolly for a hitch mount rack. A furniture/mover's dolly, a 2x4 cut into supports after taking some careful measurements and a few screws and you're done. The rack stays at the right height to just roll right up and into to the receiver.
      Last edited by MacGyver; 04-08-2017, 07:42 PM.

Comment

I had the opportunity to pack my car today & much to my delight everything fits, including the dog safety seats (only have one new one currently but will be ordering two more. They were one of two brands i decided to choose from that has passed a vehicle safety crash test.

I was able to fit a couple small items down where the tire inflator is kept, then the next level held several more camping items. My camping kitchen fits so perfectly on top of all this in the basic trunk area, then my chair, my large backpack full of my clothing, two bags with multiple pockets - one for me & one for the three dogs. I do not have to remove the privacy shelf in the trunk like I did in my Focus to squish everything in, so a little safer when traveling.

The backseat of the car contains 3 plastic storage containers, a small 3 drawer container, an old electric large coffee pot for heating water, the big tent & separate bag of poles. Behind my seat, I will have room for stacking two 14-16 quart coolers as well as a milk like crate for dry goods/food.

The passenger seat will hold another plastic storage container & my plastic storage bag with most of my bedding. On the floor will be the toilet bucket, shower enclosure, & storage bag of pots & pans.

To top all this off, I believe I could potentially take someone with me & redistribute the items on the passenger side to the backseat. Might be tight but think I could do it.

So, so happy to know packing for camping in my new car will actually be a little easier, thus, I'm a "happy camper". Lol
        Last edited by CampinLady; 04-08-2017, 10:23 PM.
        Hope to camp in my new Columbia Fall River 8 Instant Tent in 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
          Oh, I also have been seriously remiss in my guitar practice, which deficiency I must correct in order to woo women at campgrounds.
          Play these tunes for them and I promise they'll all swoonnnnnnnnn:

2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Coy ish ish? Big cities and a car too...wuz not to wuvvvvvvv?

2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Sentimentalist?

2017:

Comment

However no matter what you do, don't play this because the newest generation will merely say "NOONIEEEEEEEEEE!?! Don't sing that again!"
                So of course I do:

2017:

Comment

Quoting Stillness Wilderness:
                  Going to try out the "CampGuard" light I saw at Cabelas to help with my fear of bears with camping. Last year I used Coleman motion lights around camp.

Also going to test out the LL Bean Backcountry tent this year. We have our trip booked for June!
                  I'll be camping around bears this summer so will go take a look.
                  Last edited by NYCgrrl; 04-09-2017, 12:27 AM.
                  2017:

Comment

Originally posted by CampinLady View Post
                    I had the opportunity to pack my car today & much to my delight everything fits, including the dog safety seats (only have one new one currently but will be ordering two more. They were one of two brands i decided to choose from that has passed a vehicle safety crash test.

I was able to fit a couple small items down where the tire inflator is kept, then the next level held several more camping items. My camping kitchen fits so perfectly on top of all this in the basic trunk area, then my chair, my large backpack full of my clothing, two bags with multiple pockets - one for me & one for the three dogs. I do not have to remove the privacy shelf in the trunk like I did in my Focus to squish everything in, so a little safer when traveling.

The backseat of the car contains 3 plastic storage containers, a small 3 drawer container, an old electric large coffee pot for heating water, the big tent & separate bag of poles. Behind my seat, I will have room for stacking two 14-16 quart coolers as well as a milk like crate for dry goods/food.

The passenger seat will hold another plastic storage container & my plastic storage bag with most of my bedding. On the floor will be the toilet bucket, shower enclosure, & storage bag of pots & pans.

To top all this off, I believe I could potentially take someone with me & redistribute the items on the passenger side to the backseat. Might be tight but think I could do it.

So, so happy to know packing for camping in my new car will actually be a little easier, thus, I'm a "happy camper". Lol
                    I know what a relief it is to know this:yipi:
                    2017:

Comment

Originally posted by CampinLady View Post

It has been my experience that newer cars have deceptively large storage/truck space. I am always amazed at how much you can pack in there if you do it carefully.
                      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                      – E. B. White

Comment

This is more my speed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv839KFPv1U
                        2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                          It has been my experience that newer cars have deceptively large storage/truck space. I am always amazed at how much you can pack in there if you do it carefully.
                          Some older cars did the trick, too. Back in early to mid-eighties, my ex and I had Plymouth Horizons. Those hatchbacks seemed to swallow up way more gear than you would expect. Along with the usual chairs, folding table, sleeping bags, queen size air mattress, clothes and food for a week, water jugs, etc., we still had room for a 10x12 canvas cabin tent, tackle boxes, batteries and a trolling motor, with a canoe on the roof.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                            Some older cars did the trick, too. Back in early to mid-eighties, my ex and I had Plymouth Horizons. Those hatchbacks seemed to swallow up way more gear than you would expect. Along with the usual chairs, folding table, sleeping bags, queen size air mattress, clothes and food for a week, water jugs, etc., we still had room for a 10x12 canvas cabin tent, tackle boxes, batteries and a trolling motor, with a canoe on the roof.
                            Oh man, memories! My Mom had an ugly brown Plymouth Horizon for years. It rattled and squeaked and felt like you were about to go through the windshield when she drove it. But it did hold a heck of a lot of gear.
                            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                              My mom had a Chevy Vega that she used to stuff with WAY to many kids. So many that they couldn't close the hatchback while driving. I think I remember that car but I would have been so young that it might just be the stories I have heard and think they are memories.

We also had a Toyota Van that seats 7. I remember going somewhere with at least 15 of us in there.

We took that thing everywhere. Including to Disneyland. My parents got a hitch put on it and took a uhaul trailer to hold all of our stuff. Only 10 of us on that trip.
                              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                              – E. B. White

Comment

Finallyyyyyyyyyyy sold my apartment today and I plan to spend .015 % of the 4% of the net profit on camping gear.

Going to the car show this weekend and gonna act grand but but spend sensibly, LOL.
                                Last payment on the RV.
                                Buying a Jetboil and demn the need to bring another fuel just for morning hot beverages.
                                Maybee I'll go full tilt boogie and buy a porta potty tent too.

2017:

Comment

Working...
                                X