Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What changes toyour camping (gear/ techniques) are youpplanning for this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What changes toyour camping (gear/ techniques) are youpplanning for this year?

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
    Oh, I also have been seriously remiss in my guitar practice, which deficiency I must correct in order to woo women at campgrounds.
    Reminds me of a co-worker's comment about how her husband will play his guitar when camping and people will come by because they think it's a radio... Ummm, if they're coming by because they think you're playing a radio, then that's NOT a complement. :tussor:
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Re: What changes toyour camping (gear/ techniques) are youpplanning for this year?

Going to try out the "CampGuard" light I saw at Cabelas to help with my fear of bears with camping. Last year I used Coleman motion lights around camp.

Also going to test out the LL Bean Backcountry tent this year. We have our trip booked for June!
      "Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man, but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

http://www.stillnesswilderness.com

Comment

Alt/az has limitations, but you can get a lot more scope for the $. I like the price of that one, for sure.
        There was another one with the other mount available for near the same price, but I figure it was better to start with the easier to use mount. If I find I use it a lot (especially with my camera gear), i'll end up investing in a more expensive one in upcoming years.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Toed, for camera work you will def. need an equatorial mount, and motorized at that. Well, I'm an old-school film photographer, so maybe the new digital jobs can handle it without the mount. i found this one at close to the same price - larger aperture and equatorial to boot.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007UQNKY...1e43836_S&th=1

Not motorized though.
          2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Toed, for camera work you will def. need an equatorial mount, and motorized at that. Well, I'm an old-school film photographer, so maybe the new digital jobs can handle it without the mount. i found this one at close to the same price - larger aperture and equatorial to boot.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007UQNKY...1e43836_S&th=1

Not motorized though.
            Yeah, that's why I decided to go with the simple mount now. It will let me play and get the hang of identification, etc., without spending a lot of money. It will let me decide what, if anything, I really want to photograph at that level (I've gotten great moon shots with my 200-500mm lens on the Super Moon night). Then, I can research and find the best gear for what I want to do. If I decide I don't want to attach the camera, then I'll be pretty happy with this for basic viewing.

Comment

Well, my telescope was successful - had some nice views of the moon in various phases this past week.

The 2 inches of memory foam was pretty much luxury. Got the TPMS installed and they worked great - easy to check the tire pressure at a glance (which is especially nice with duallies).

Bat-dog gives full marks for the dog cot. Once she tried it, she was hooked. It did help her to stay outside a bit longer in the evening, but she still prefers the couch and bed inside. Moose-dog hasn't come around yet. He prefers to lay almost under your chair (so he's shaded) and he can't do that with the cot. But he did lay on it for a bit.

Comment

Quite possibly the best thing that I ever did for camping comfort was to go with a thick foam sleeping pad... (pretty sure the dog would have liked it enough to be a problem).

Enjoy!
                2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                  Quite possibly the best thing that I ever did for camping comfort was to go with a thick foam sleeping pad... (pretty sure the dog would have liked it enough to be a problem).

Enjoy!
                  The actual mattress in the clipper is memory foam - about 4 inches. It's just thick enough that when the dogs and I sleep on it, it squishes down to JUST BARELY let my hip feel the plywood underneath. With the extra 2 inches now, I have enough that I don't sink that far - so there is no pressure point on my hips. Fortunately it's a big bed so there's plenty of room with the dogs. And they each have their own window and pillow, although Moose-dog must rotate his watch in the different windows, so at a point each night, he's lying above my head for a while.

Comment

I have a couple things in mind. First, am going to try to work out a way to have a small generator on the rear hitch cargo rack, and,...a window AC unit to keep the dog (and me if need be) cool when travelling in the summer or in warm places. Theres ideas online, some pretty hillbilly, but I think it may be doable.

Also going to cut up my old Nissan 4x pickup into a trailer. It has a bed built into the back which needs to be expanded for dog space, but it would add space for sleeping and camp junk and lockable storage when travelling in general or camping. If taking the pickup bed trailer, a generator and AC wouldn't be hard to do obviously, but as a day to day thing being able to have the dog safely and comfortably when travelling in the warm times and places is becoming more of an issue.

I built a cargo box/dog bed in the back of the 4runner last year, its been working well, but I haven't developed a way to easily lock the back or access it when secured. It was a temporary solution at the time that I haven't refined yet.

https://americanadventurist.com/foru...platform.3961/

Comment

Originally posted by Malamute View Post
                      I have a couple things in mind. First, am going to try to work out a way to have a small generator on the rear hitch cargo rack, and,...a window AC unit to keep the dog (and me if need be) cool when travelling in the summer or in warm places. Theres ideas online, some pretty hillbilly, but I think it may be doable.

Also going to cut up my old Nissan 4x pickup into a trailer. It has a bed built into the back which needs to be expanded for dog space, but it would add space for sleeping and camp junk and lockable storage when travelling in general or camping. If taking the pickup bed trailer, a generator and AC wouldn't be hard to do obviously, but as a day to day thing being able to have the dog safely and comfortably when travelling in the warm times and places is becoming more of an issue.

I built a cargo box/dog bed in the back of the 4runner last year, its been working well, but I haven't developed a way to easily lock the back or access it when secured. It was a temporary solution at the time that I haven't refined yet.

https://americanadventurist.com/foru...platform.3961/
                      A welder with accessories ( welding skill, disk grinder and at least a sawsall) is the easiest way to built trailer (receiver) hitch accessories (baskets frames etc...) and trailers, IMO... If you do a really good job remember to include a receiver hitch lock.
                      ...The last time that I added a small generator I put it on the trailer tongue...
                      Have done a number of pickup trailers; try to keep the hitch weight adequate (center of gravity in front of the rear axle, by a foot or more) when building and loading (helps keep the trailer from steering the tow vehicle; thus minimizing white knuckles, cleaning of the seats and insurance rates)...

Enjoy!
                      Last edited by Happy Joe; 04-05-2017, 10:58 AM.
                      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Thanks.

Ive built and used several pickup bed trailers, I'm pretty familiar with running them. Ive drug them all over the mountain states, across the country and to Alaska a couple times.

I'm not a welder, but usually had friends that are weld up my projects. I have a local welding shop now that is reasonable and easy to work with, so am going to have him do the welding on this one. The truck has a welded in cross member a foot or more ahead of the front of the bed, I think I'll leave that and not turn the frame rails in until past that point so the tongue deck is a little longer. That extra space would be nice for a storage/generator box and a couple fuel or water cans or spare tire without crowding the hitch and tow vehicle too much. Also want to leave the fuel tank and use it for a reserve. When towing the trailer, the tongue is the best place to have the generator I think. Ill build a box for it.

I have a hitch mounted cargo rack. I want to work out a way to put a generator and window AC unit on it and duct it into the vehicle for the times I'm stopped and the vehicle AC isn't working. I don't want to tow the trailer everywhere all summer just to have the AC for the dog. Ive thought of several ways, not sure how Im going to do the AC and duct yet. Maybe remove a side rear window and make a metal or plexi replacement with a hole, up on the roof and duct into the sunroof (camo the AC unit in a rooftop carrier?), or perhaps get a replacement rear hatch door and cut a hole in it for the AC. The last was my preferred way with the suburban, but its not in the picture now. Putting the AC in the rear hatch door of the 4runner would eliminate the rear window rolling up or down, or at least very far. Its in the concept stage for now, but its going to have to happen soon.

Comment

One of the two tents I have is a 15 x 10, 10 person Columbia Fall River Tent, but I just discovered they have a 14 x 8, 8 person model now & I plan to purchase that soon. I love the one I have, but it is larger than I need, but I don't want to give up the design. It has a screen room with floor attached. I now have 3 little Yorkies so the screen room is great to have for when we need to be inside. The 8 person one won't he as tall or heavy, and will all be a plus for me - a short (5'1") 63 year old.

In the large tent screen room portion, last year I also put a plastic-like woven patio rug, which was very light & I rolled it & wrapped small bungee cords around it, but it was still very long to carry in my little Ford Focus. Anyway, I found a great sale on tent footprints & can get one that will fit the screen room inside (for less than $20), since that floor is what gets the most use by the furkidz & family comes in this portion to play games in inclement or cold weather. It will certainly be compact! As mentioned in a previous post I made, I purchased a new vehicle & am needing to downsize a bit I believe.

I used a small, tabletop wood burning grill last summer as well as a butane 1 burner stove. I found I just don't have the patience needed for cooking on the wood grill, so I purchased a propane Northwest Territory grill & stove combo which seems to work really well. (Not much of a learning curve with this. Lol)

I also have on order a large camping compression bag that I hope I can put my comforter, blanket & sheets in (& pillow too if it will fit).

I am going to purchase two 14-16 quart flat top coolers for my food & drinks. Last season I had a 28-quart cooler on wheels which I liked, but it was difficult trying to wrangle it in/out of my car with it fully filled with food & ice. It was on wheels, which broke at the end of the season. I also had a little cooler just for my pop & water. (I have also had 3 neck & back surgeries so I do have to be careful.) I usually camp 4-5 nights at a time & always pack too much food, but sometimes I have family for a meal.

I also ordered a dutch oven carrying bag that I think my 3 pots & pans will fit. Just a nicer alternative to a plastic grocery bag. Oh, I also ordered tiny mustard & catsup squeeze bottles (holds 4 oz. ea.).
                          Hope to camp in my new Columbia Fall River 8 Instant Tent in 2017

Comment

I've hammock camped before, but this year I'm going to make sure I'm comfortable when I do it. This means getting a under quilt and better tarp. I'd love to sleep in my hammock more than a tent, but it's just a matter of quality gear at this point. If anyone has a good tip for either of these that would be great!
                            "It's not adventure if you have to pay for it"

Comment

Originally posted by Malamute View Post
                              Thanks.

Ive built and used several pickup bed trailers, I'm pretty familiar with running them. Ive drug them all over the mountain states, across the country and to Alaska a couple times.

I have a hitch mounted cargo rack. I want to work out a way to put a generator and window AC unit on it and duct it into the vehicle for the times I'm stopped and the vehicle AC isn't working. I don't want to tow the trailer everywhere all summer just to have the AC for the dog. Ive thought of several ways, not sure how Im going to do the AC and duct yet. Maybe remove a side rear window and make a metal or plexi replacement with a hole, up on the roof and duct into the sunroof (camo the AC unit in a rooftop carrier?), or perhaps get a replacement rear hatch door and cut a hole in it for the AC. The last was my preferred way with the suburban, but its not in the picture now. Putting the AC in the rear hatch door of the 4runner would eliminate the rear window rolling up or down, or at least very far. Its in the concept stage for now, but its going to have to happen soon.
                              ...many pickup truck bed trailers are great and tow safely and easily; there are a few, however, that are just built wrong...Hope this one works out well for you (sounds like you know enough to do it right)....

As far as AC there are some portable room air conditioners that use ducts to get cool air and get rid of the hot (usually through a window adapter); I don't know if they can be easily converted to push the cool air through the duct but they might be another option to look at.

...have small light weight genny that can easily unloaded fueled up and started. It fits my low demand pretty well, I can see how a larger one would be a pain (have used them for construction at remote sites).

Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by CampinLady View Post
                                One of the two tents I have is a 15 x 10, 10 person Columbia Fall River Tent, but I just discovered they have a 14 x 8, 8 person model now & I plan to purchase that soon. I love the one I have, but it is larger than I need, but I don't want to give up the design. It has a screen room with floor attached. I now have 3 little Yorkies so the screen room is great to have for when we need to be inside. The 8 person one won't he as tall or heavy, and will all be a plus for me - a short (5'1") 63 year old.

In the large tent screen room portion, last year I also put a plastic-like woven patio rug, which was very light & I rolled it & wrapped small bungee cords around it, but it was still very long to carry in my little Ford Focus. Anyway, I found a great sale on tent footprints & can get one that will fit the screen room inside (for less than $20), since that floor is what gets the most use by the furkidz & family comes in this portion to play games in inclement or cold weather. It will certainly be compact! As mentioned in a previous post I made, I purchased a new vehicle & am needing to downsize a bit I believe.

I used a small, tabletop wood burning grill last summer as well as a butane 1 burner stove. I found I just don't have the patience needed for cooking on the wood grill, so I purchased a propane Northwest Territory grill & stove combo which seems to work really well. (Not much of a learning curve with this. Lol)

I also have on order a large camping compression bag that I hope I can put my comforter, blanket & sheets in (& pillow too if it will fit).

I am going to purchase two 14-16 quart flat top coolers for my food & drinks. Last season I had a 28-quart cooler on wheels which I liked, but it was difficult trying to wrangle it in/out of my car with it fully filled with food & ice. It was on wheels, which broke at the end of the season. I also had a little cooler just for my pop & water. (I have also had 3 neck & back surgeries so I do have to be careful.) I usually camp 4-5 nights at a time & always pack too much food, but sometimes I have family for a meal.

I also ordered a dutch oven carrying bag that I think my 3 pots & pans will fit. Just a nicer alternative to a plastic grocery bag. Oh, I also ordered tiny mustard & catsup squeeze bottles (holds 4 oz. ea.).
                                I usually just stake down a moderately heavy silver tarp when I want a floor (have become disillusioned with "footprints"; get them (tarps) from the local harbor freight store (when they go on sale) then use very large landscaping nails from the local home center to hold them down.

my gear runs in cycles; too much stuff, (downsize), then build back up to too much and re-downsize... its just the way things work for me.

...did get a luggage cart/small hand truck to haul the heavier stuff around the site (still have to load and unload the stuff by hand though); we'll see how it works over Memorial day weekend...

Enjoy!
                                Last edited by Happy Joe; 04-06-2017, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X