DIY Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DIY Cooler

I have used Flex Seal and it is pretty good stuff though expensive. I might consider spraying my box with Flex Seal rather than using marine paint. Probably wouldn't be any more expensive and might be more durable.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeN View Post
      I have used Flex Seal and it is pretty good stuff though expensive. I might consider spraying my box with Flex Seal rather than using marine paint. Probably wouldn't be any more expensive and might be more durable.

Another option (albeit a more expensive one) would be to take it to a truck bed liner shop and have them do it. My brother worked in one when we were teenagers and he said someone took their car in and had them do the trunk.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

Bed liner is available as a spray at home, or in roller application form, never tried it, myself, but I hear its one of those rag bag clothing jobs...
        When rolled on its much thinner than commercially applied Rhino Lining; should still seal well (have no idea how well it would fill cracks/gaps) though.

Enjoy!
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
          Bed liner is available as a spray at home, or in roller application form, never tried it, myself, but I hear its one of those rag bag clothing jobs...
          When rolled on its much thinner than commercially applied Rhino Lining; should still seal well (have no idea how well it would fill cracks/gaps) though.

Enjoy!
          Thats a good point. I don't know if you need that thickness of a Rhino liner. I was actually thinking that it might be to thick and bulky. I would think the diy stuff would probably work better....so long as you got a good coating.

This idea is getting better and better.
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

A trip to an antique store should suffice - most have an old icebox or two to show how to make a cooler out of materials you can get an any Home Depot. I used a couple of fruit boxes lined with plastic and DIY ice blocks in the trunk last November to transport my food between islands on the car barge - never even had any real melting in the few islands from one condo to the other.
            Last edited by tplife; 02-05-2017, 09:27 AM.
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
            X