Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the most unforgettable camping trip you have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the most unforgettable camping trip you have?

What is the most unforgettable camping trip you have?

Re: the most unforgettable camping trip you have?

Was camping near Blue Ridge, Ga...my son's wedding...and wife started throwing up blood. Moved to Cloudland Canyon to be close to the hospital. A friend offered me his apartment (he doesn't live there, it's on the floor above his business), which was like 5 minutes away from the hosp. in Chattanooga, but I declined. Because hey, why ruin a good camping trip?
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Oh, and bears got into my cooler while I was at the hospital....
      2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Mine? The Flood. Among the people that were in it, that story still comes up a few times a year, especially on Winter trips or when we're at the site where it happened.

Comment

... Sooo many memorables... so little room (to post);
          One great one was a 4wd club event to the eastern side of the Hole in the rock Trail (just east of Lake Powell) in Utah;
          a half day of caravanning to get to the trailhead, a short trip to find a good site (near some rocks that someone claimed was a Spanish fort,
          fantastic scenery and it was amazing seeing what the Mormons did to get through that country (basically hacked dugways, by hand, into the sandstone for literally miles to get the wagons and horses through).. saw holes in the west side of the canyon wall above lake powell where they hung a timber framed road from the side to get the wagons down to the bottom...
          Jumped in some really deep waterholes to cool off found some soft sand to camp in, did another 2 days of wheeling to get to Lake Powel and back.
          Memorable, historic, scenic, all in the company of great people...

Edit: here is a reference please excuse the LDS referances if you find such offensive; this is interesting to me as an example of human drive and endurance in pioneer times.
          https://www.lds.org/ensign/1995/10/h...-rock?lang=eng

...search; hole in the rock expedition

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=100

Enjoy!
          Last edited by Happy Joe; 08-05-2016, 07:06 AM. Reason: corrected Mormon trail to Hole in the rock trail.
          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
          Ground tents work best for me, so far.
          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
            Oh, and bears got into my cooler while I was at the hospital....
            Bears! How? how did they get inside? I mean bears are not like cats, how can they fit inside the cooler?

Comment

last year, during the summer break I went camping with my family. It was great, the weather is nice and the lake is clean to swim in. Everything was great until we all start to have really bad diarrhea, I think is's because of the food. Out in the wood, and....well....papers run out pretty fast.....it's a disaster:aww::aww:

Comment

A few years ago, we went for a week on our kids fall break, which is the first full week of October. We were right on the edge of KY Lake, beautiful clear weather. We had camp set up by mid afternoon on Monday, temps in the mid 60's. As night fell, the temps started dropping. And, they kept dropping, bottoming out in the mid 20's. By 11 pm, we were all cuddled in the tent (thin, 2 season Coleman Cabin), trying to keep warm. I had brought a small ceramic, heater, and finally stretched a cord into the tent, and plugged the heater in. That little heater kept the tent at a cozy 64 degrees all night, every night. We had almost decided to pack up and leave, but, ended up having one of the best camping trips we've ever had.

David

Comment

Our first trip. We had never camped before and wife and I took our 8 kids at the time to camp in the Rocky Mountains. We knew nothing. Froze our tails off at night. At least me and the wife did. The kids stayed warm. Ended up camping 5 nights and it was beautiful. Such fond memories. We just got back from camping the same location. We're so much more prepared now and have accumulated some more luxuries.

Comment

Primative camped in our travel trailer this year near the Ohio/West Virginia border, and our (scheduled) last night was the first night of the 1,000 year flood storm system that then swept through southern West Virginia. Didn't get the devastating aftermath that they got, but I have never been in such a sustained electrical storm. It was even more spectacular since we were in a pitch black site with nothing to spoil the show.
                    - Laura
                    Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Well, I'd have to say it was the time when I was a kid - we were camping with family friends and us girls had gone up to the restrooms. As we were coming back to the campsite, we saw my dad, his friend and my mom in the field with my dad's dirt bike. My mom was on the dirt bike. As we stood up on the road watching, my mom took off on the bike, went about 20 feet, the bike went down, my mom stepped off and walked away...

That moment was NEVER mentioned in our family for over 40 years. :he:

In recent history, it was standing up on the mountain top by the mine at Bodie looking down at the teeny tiny little white speck that was my clipper parked at the edge of the town, and then sitting outside at night (freezing my bum off) taking photos of the night sky and seeing the stars like they were inches from the earth...

My most unforgettable location is my favorite campsite - the road crosses a creek as it comes into the campground and just on the campground side of the bridge is the first campsite (you actually drive up further and then turn and come back down to get to it). The parking spur sits at about a 160 degree angle to the creek, so the clipper door and side window look right out onto the deep swimming hole that sits right next to the bridge. The firepit, picnic table, and tent/seating pad area are all right below the parking pad - so you can sit in your campsite in the mornings and watch the fish jumping. The rest of the creek along the campsite is much shallower and in full sun, so this is the only site where you get this morning show.
                      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                        Well, I'd have to say it was the time when I was a kid - we were camping with family friends and us girls had gone up to the restrooms. As we were coming back to the campsite, we saw my dad, his friend and my mom in the field.....

At this point I was thinking that this was going in a VERY different direction. :happy:
                        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                        – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                          At this point I was thinking that this was going in a VERY different direction. :happy:
                          :lol:

Comment

Most memorable trip would have to have been camping with my wife and oldest boy when he was twoish. Camped with a friend that introduced me to the Happy Jack Az area. Hiked down into clear creek canyon and fished the trout streams. Somewhere I have a photo of my son laying against a rock, munching on chips a hoy cookies while mama fished. Clearest water I have ever seen.

Comment

Working...
                            X