I need suggestions for a hanging coffee pot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need suggestions for a hanging coffee pot

I don't like coffee but when I go camping I sometimes like to have some hot chocolate or tea and so I need hot water for that and cleaning and such. What I am working on is a tripod to go over the campfire (when I can have one) that I can use to keep the water constantly warm/hot. What I am looking for is a picture that I can hang on a rope or chain from the tripod to hold said water and is easy to hold and pour....meaning that the handles don't get to hot.

I was also thinking of a hanging grate that I can either set a pot on and maybe cook on as well.

Now, I will take your suggestions, good or bad, on everything. Thanks.

Also, here is a penguin :tuxout:
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Re: I need suggestions for a hanging coffee pot

I would think that the heat from a fire would be pretty much impossible to control with any precision, at least not to the degree you'd need to keep water hot in a suspended container. As the flames and/or coals die down, you'd eventually have too much air between the heat and your container. On top of that, keeping water hot would mean losing water to evaporation, meaning you'd have to add more cold water from time to time - a self-defeating process. I'm a coffee junkie. When I need quick hot water for the drip maker, I pour just enough water for a mug o' joe in a wide pan, crank up the stove and I've got water in about a minute or two.
    Last edited by MacGyver; 07-31-2016, 02:11 PM.

Comment

I too have been looking for (eternal search) camping hot water systems;

Not campfire related but propane tankless water heaters look practical;
      https://www.eccotemp.com/re-conditio...-water-heater/

Here is a site in Australia that shows an example of an over the fire heated water tank (Keg) that looks interesting (scroll to bottom) (they also discuss the Coleman water heater);
      http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/vi...&f=39&t=101945

There are quite a few tank with a coil in the campfire/coals systems out there (not certain how good an idea that a plastic bucket near the fire is... but a shovel full of coals could easily be substituted for the charcoal briquettes, or the coil could simply be put at the end of some heater hose and shoved into the campfire coals);
      http://www.aussiecampovenforum.com/c...num=1240824069

I saw a pot with a spigot for heating water over at the local CampingWorld the other day;
      http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ater-pot/82523

By making a 3 chain swinging/hanging grate it could probably be used with a large tripod (not certain about the plastic handle on the spigot)...or how long until it boils dry...

Personally for in tent (face) wash water I use a small military quality alcohol stove (would also work for small quantities of coffee or cocoa).
      https://www.amazon.com/Trangia-Spiri...ywords=trangia
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Trangia and stand.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	70599
      For larger amounts hot water (up to 8 cups) I just use a coffee pot on the old Svea 123r or Coleman propane stove. (way quicker than building a fire) although a coffee pot with a metal handle (plastic/composite handles burn) works over or next to the fire.

Enjoy!
      Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-31-2016, 10:10 AM. Reason: coffee pot
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

How much water are you thinking?
        why not a 24 hr thermos?
        one i have does indeed keep it hot
        after 18 hrs still too hot to drink where you have to let it cool a bit
        at 24 hrs it was still steaming even when left in the car overnight in negative temps

Comment

I love hot cocoa when camping. I got a nice stainless teapot for the stove and fill it up and heat it the first night. In the past, I would just re-heat the remaining water in the teapot each time I wanted more. Now, I immediately fill up my Thermos Stainless King (someone here recommended it after getting it for Christmas) with the boiling water. That gives me hot water for hot cocoa through the next day without having to re-heat. When I use the last cup of water in the thermos, I boil another teapot's worth.
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
            why not a 24 hr thermos?
            at 24 hrs it was still steaming even when left in the car overnight in negative temps
            Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
            I love hot cocoa when camping. I got a nice stainless teapot for the stove and fill it up and heat it the first night. In the past, I would just re-heat the remaining water in the teapot each time I wanted more. Now, I immediately fill up my Thermos Stainless King (someone here recommended it after getting it for Christmas) with the boiling water. That gives me hot water for hot cocoa through the next day without having to re-heat. When I use the last cup of water in the thermos, I boil another teapot's worth.
            These provided me with my headslap moment for the day. My wife and I are coffee drinkers (ahem...but generally instant at the campsite) and I will usually boil water with either my Crux Lite backpacking stove or a 2 burner Coleman to make the needed amount of coffee. Since I'm up first, generally that means several "boils" (or reheats) over the course of the morning depending on how early I get up before her, how fast I'm slugging it, how cold it is out, etc. I can honestly say I've never thought to make extra hot water during my first boil and pour it into a thermos for future 2nd, 3rd, 4th, cups. This will also help save time on our packing up morning as I can get the stoves/fuel packed up early rather than waiting until we've satisfied our coffee requirement for the day.

Now...I feel stupid...and enlightened at the same time. Will start doing this. Thanks terasec and toedtoes - really good idea.
            2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
            Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
            Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
            Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
              These provided me with my headslap moment for the day. My wife and I are coffee drinkers (ahem...but generally instant at the campsite) and I will usually boil water with either my Crux Lite backpacking stove or a 2 burner Coleman to make the needed amount of coffee. Since I'm up first, generally that means several "boils" (or reheats) over the course of the morning depending on how early I get up before her, how fast I'm slugging it, how cold it is out, etc. I can honestly say I've never thought to make extra hot water during my first boil and pour it into a thermos for future 2nd, 3rd, 4th, cups. This will also help save time on our packing up morning as I can get the stoves/fuel packed up early rather than waiting until we've satisfied our coffee requirement for the day.

Now...I feel stupid...and enlightened at the same time. Will start doing this. Thanks terasec and toedtoes - really good idea.
              This is the largest in ounces vacuum bottle I've found online:

http://aquatixbottles.myshopify.com/...-sports-bottle

I've been looking for one big enough to serve a minimum of 8 oz of soup for five on the road (40 oz) but but nevah thought to hold hot water for morning beverages in it <insert head-slap emoticon here> as well.
              That's one of the things I like about this place: collective brains at work:glasses:.
              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                <insert head-slap emoticon here>

Comment

This is the thermos I have. It's 40 oz. There is a 68 oz version, but the different sizes get different ratings on ability to keep things hot and the 40 oz appeared to be best. https://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Stainless-Beverage-Bottle-Midnight/dp/B0017IHRNM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469996296&sr=8-1&keywords=thermos+stainless+king

a65hoosier - I was doing the same thing at night with my hot cocoa. I'd heat the teapot, have a cup, then an hour later want another cup and have to re-heat the teapot. And on the mornings I'd head home, I'd forego the hot cocoa because I wouldn't want to have to deal with the hot teapot and where to put it while I drove home (it usually goes in the cabinet, but you can't do that with a just boiled teapot). This works great. I even bought a thermos for a friend so she could do the same.
                  “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Oh, and the thermos has a full opening so you can pour out chunky soup and not just broth.

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                      This is the thermos I have. It's 40 oz. There is a 68 oz version, but the different sizes get different ratings on ability to keep things hot and the 40 oz appeared to be best. https://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Stainless-Beverage-Bottle-Midnight/dp/B0017IHRNM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469996296&sr=8-1&keywords=thermos+stainless+king

a65hoosier - I was doing the same thing at night with my hot cocoa. I'd heat the teapot, have a cup, then an hour later want another cup and have to re-heat the teapot. And on the mornings I'd head home, I'd forego the hot cocoa because I wouldn't want to have to deal with the hot teapot and where to put it while I drove home (it usually goes in the cabinet, but you can't do that with a just boiled teapot). This works great. I even bought a thermos for a friend so she could do the same.
                      This is the only concern I have w/ the gigonda thermos- will it hold heat and pour nicely (despise drips due to poor design) ?
                      Thanks for the heads up!
                      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
                        why not a 24 hr thermos?
                        This is a really good idea. For me an maybe my wife an 8 cup pot is fine. If it is something constantly being heated I can just keep it topped off and I would think that would be fine.

The thermos is a great idea when it is just me or me and my wife. Any more and I don't know if it is viable.
                        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                        – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post

This is the EXACT thing I am trying to avoid.
                          – E. B. White

Comment

When it's cold out I always make a pot of coffee before I go to bed and put in my Thermos so it will be ready for me when I wake up. When it's below freezing out when you get out of the sleeping bag nothing beats a cup of hot coffee to keep the chill off. Preheat the Thermos with hot water before adding the coffee and it will be even hotter the next morning.

Comment

I dunno James. Having a constant source of hot water would mean a constant fire (or at least embers). I would probably go with a large cast-iron pot that I could bury in the embers. A constant fire needs a constant source of fuel, which would be a drag. I always boil mine on demand, so I don't have much to offer here.
                              2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
                              X