Good-bye Coleman lantern?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Good-bye Coleman lantern?

LEDs are indead the trend now, the coleman lantern does rise some safety concern especially when kids use them without adult looking after. Most of the LED camping lantern are rechargable, just like your phone you can recharge when the battery run out. LED is much cooler than other types of camping light, some poorly build camping lantern tend to get really hot but LED won't. Also another reason why I choose LED is that with LED you can get alot of creative designs, just like this lantern I got on Amazon, it looks like a vintage camera, not only will it gives you enough brightness in the dark, but also can be use as a power bank for your phones, that's really nice when all the other camping light basically look all the same. Click image for larger version

Name:	61igpnAky2L._SL1000__副本 (2).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	70600

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
      I just picked up a set of LED puck lights at Costco today. They came 6 for $18.99. They push on and off like most - one power setting. But, they have a remote control and that offers more options: They are dimmable - 4 presets (10%, 40%, 80% and 100%) and a manual up/down button that takes it down to about 4%. They also have 4 presets for timer - 10 minutes, 30 minutes, 60 minutes, and 120 minutes.

I plan on using one outside my clipper for when I step away at night. I can keep the remote in my pocket or pack and when I get close (6 ft range), click on the light so I can see to get inside. I can also set it at the lowest setting and set the timer so that I can find the clipper in the night without having to bring daylight to the campground.

The packaging says they'll last 20 hours on 3 AAA batteries at 100% power. So looks really good to me.
      This sounds like a winner and I was just at Costco today. I should have looked around more. How is the light output?
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

They're pretty bright for being small. I found them on Amazon (at double the price): https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Puck-Lights-Remote-Control/dp/B014FCOHZ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470030045&sr=8-1&keywords=led+puck+lights+with+remote+control

Funny that many reviews said "they only lasted about 3 weeks with just a couple hours' usage at night" - ummm, 21 days x 2 hours each day = 42 hours of use. Packaging says "estimated 20 hours of use at 100% brightness" - at 50% you will run out at around the 40th day...
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

...still loving my SnowPeak lamp...
          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Re; puck lights/taplights;
            ...used them for years as a quick, no fumble tent light; when you NEED to have light right Now.. .or just need to step outside in the dark... just slap/tap the dome, no fumbling for a flashlight then more fumbling for the switch); ...very handy.
            I'm sure that they have improved since I got these; now equipped with medium power (2,000+ mahr) NiMh rechargeable batteries... just recharge them after each trip and they are ready for the next. Possibly the hardest part bout using them is keeping them in the camping stuff (they tend to migrate)... just keep buying more until they all find their preferred locations (quite nice in that dark corner book case)....

Enjoy!
            Last edited by Happy Joe; 08-01-2016, 06:40 AM.
            2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
            Ground tents work best for me, so far.
            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Robert I know what you're talking about, I wouldn't leave children alone to use a Coleman Fuel Lantern either. We set them up on staked tripods and light them up, so there's no need to move them around...we have headlamps and flashlights, lol.
              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
              X