Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I wanna go camping!

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
    It's both - the busy season at work and a severe disdain for sweaty, dirty and buggy summer trips. Normally by now I wouldn't be chomping at the bit so much. It's just extra painful at the moment because the weather has been uncharacteristically cool for this time of year.
    Since I winter camp in Wisconsin, I can testify that cold weather camping can be pretty awesome. So, if you ever want to invest in some additional layers for the cooler weather, you'll certainly avoid bugs!

And if you are ever up for a road trip, Wisconsin in the summer is beautiful !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Karla "with a k" View Post
      And if you are ever up for a road trip, Wisconsin in the summer is beautiful !!!
      Well... this kinda goes into a bit of a bittersweet story. The short version is that I'm only in Maryland to take care of my mother. Fortunately she's got pretty much the same sarcastic sense of humor I do, so even she laughs when I tell her I won't be at her funeral because I'll be too busy packing to get the hell out of here. She knows I hate it here and always tells me to go but I always come back and tell her I hope I'm in for a long misery. Why this little story? I don't know if it's just something on my bucket list and if it's really something I'll be able to do, but I do plan on heading west for a while after she's gone. I've got an online friend of 20 some years now in Lakewood, Washington that I've never met face to face. She lives a few hours south of a Canadian company that makes the travel trailer I want to buy. So, I hope to be able to tent camp my way going west and camper camp coming back, stopping along the way to check out sights I've only seen in pictures. I've been though 29 of the lower 48, worked in about a dozen, mostly east of the Mississippi. DEFINITELY need to see more of the west.

Comment

Would that be the escape trailer?
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180305_160054.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	71005

Ah camping
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
            Would that be the escape trailer?
            Why, yes, it would be an Escape trailer. Got my eye on the 21 foot model.

Comment

That's the one I've been eyeing. Would use it for sightseeing trips and the clipper for camping.

Comment

I know I'll probably buy a "stick built" before then just to go camping, but the thought of an all fiberglass shell, with their lack of seams to leak really appeals to me. I guess that's a part of why they hold their resale value so well. I'm on a forum for fiberglass RVs and their for sale page amazes me. 20 year old campers still selling for 10-15 thousand dollars is impressive.

Comment

I did a trip from Wisconsin across Minnesota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois & back to Wisconsin. There are lots of free places to camp along the way heading West. My favorite is in the Badlands National Park. Your trip will be epic!

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]6323[/ATTACH]

Ah camping
                    Nice! The pic date stamp says real recent. If so....it's nice to see some of us getting out there. Is this the destination you talked about a month or two ago? I can't remember the state park name (and I am too lazy to find the thread)---but it was just off a busy road and had a river?
                    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

• Re: I wanna go camping!

The photo is very recent. Have the loop to myself. That was a different place. This is just north east of Fresno - Eastman Lake. Great this time of year. Too hot in summer.

Dogs are loving it. No one anywhere near us and they can have a bit more freedom than normally. Coyotes howling every evening. Hawks and vultures and ravens flying overhead - even a bald eagle. Bobcats in the area but we haven't seen one yet. Cottontails, lizards, squirrels and small birds teasing Bat-dog. Warm days and cold nights.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                        I know I'll probably buy a "stick built" before then just to go camping, but the thought of an all fiberglass shell, with their lack of seams to leak really appeals to me. I guess that's a part of why they hold their resale value so well. I'm on a forum for fiberglass RVs and their for sale page amazes me. 20 year old campers still selling for 10-15 thousand dollars is impressive.
                        My clipper is fiberglass and it has been so much nicer than my old shasta trailer. Seams off the corners to increase integrity. Can't beat it. And with the molded fibergl**** you don't get the delamination that you do on fiberglass paneled RVs.

Comment

I got promoted (sort of) at work last month. I didn't think I was ready but they didn't want to hear it. I have been learning this new job and was a little sad because I couldn't see a time in the next 6 months where I would even be able to take a Friday or Monday off and get out of town. Yesterday for the first time I was thinking that I am getting a handle on things and maybe I would be able to take a day soon. Yay me!
                          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                          – E. B. White

Comment

I got seniority at work too, which mostly means I don't get any time off either. 60+ hours' week, Yee Haw!
                            \
                            2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

I neec to retire - work gets in the way...

I did get out the other week. Worked out perfectly as the rain stopped on the way there and didn't start back up until the day after I got home.

Of course, my rear fuel tank was having issues on the way home. Ended up buying a new custom front tank to replace the original (two years after a run in with a boulder, it sprung a leak). Now waiting for it to be built and shipped and then installed. Then I am back in action!

But my trip was wonderful otherwise with one exception. When I arrived, there was a family camping in the next site. The kids came through my site between the RV and the picnic table and I told my friend that this wasn't happening again - because of the dogs mostly. Apparently, the neighbors heard and took offense. That night they actually shut off my propane while I slept. No way it was done accidentally as you have to get under the RV to reach it. Luckily they left that day.

Comment

Its been about 6 weeks since my last trip, with 2 more to go before the next one!

I had forgotten how much I enjoyed being outdoors until my son joined a scouting group, which "forced" me back into camping. We're finishing up our first year and I'll never regret it. It reminded me that I really need the time away from technology.

Comment

Working...
                                X