I wanna go camping!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: I wanna go camping!

He's on vetprofen. Vet charges $50 for a 30-day supply; online it's $98 for 4 months. It definitely helps him with the pain, but his age is catching up. He's a thin long-legged dog of about 80lbs (shepherd/poodle/newfie) and is over 12 years old. With his thin physique it's like he walks on stilts, so when he overdoes it, he is very wobbly.

I will say the vetprofen gets full marks for dog tastiness. Moose-dog takes it without any trouble and will remind me if I forget to give it to him. Bat-dog has stolen a pill or two on occasion - I give her a placebo (empty pieces of pill pockets) when he gets his. I can't say the word "pill" without them both getting excited.

I just know he's nearing the end... I've had him since he was 8 weeks old.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	tuttlebug.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	71153

Now:

Name:	IMG_20190727_160727.jpg
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	71154

Bat-dog:

Name:	IMG_20190727_160735.jpg
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	71155

The Cat:

Name:	IMG_20190720_130552.jpg
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	71156

And Dog-bird:

Name:	Max.jpg
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	71157
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Great family.

Stewart was a collie/malamute cross, he had the thin head and body, and fluffy fur of a collie, but the color of a mal, he was a cool dog. he was a puffball most of the time, when he went swimming he looked like he had stick figure legs. it always made me laugh.

He was about 75 lbs, he made it to 13, which was pretty good.

Id tell the dogs it was dog pill time, theyd get excited. I gave them both fish oil and glucosamine condroitin, and Stewart got the Meloxicam. I put the pill between the trigger and middle finger on my right hand, open their mouth and push the pill to the back of their throat, then close their mouth and rub their face so they couldnt spit it out. Id then give them a couple biscuits each. I never had any complaints.

Name:	IMG_0321.jpg
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	71158

Name:	IMG_3169.jpg
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	71159
      Last edited by Malamute; 09-04-2019, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Stewart was a good looking kid. Definitely see the collie in him.

i was giving The Cat a piece of a pill pocket as a treat also. Until July 4th. I had given Bat-dog her first dose of alprazolam earlier. Then gave her another dose later. Apparently, she never ate the pocket filled pill. The Cat found it and ate it. .5mg of alprazolam creates a very funked out cat - he was spinning for hours.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I miss my dog.
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

Well, the Arizona Cardinals have a Thursday night home game on Halloween and I have season tickets so I took that Thursday off for Tailgating and that Friday off because I am maxed out on PTO so why not. I am going to try to parlay that into a camping weekend. Maybe get home from tailgating and just load up to leave on Friday. Possibly going to do my first backpack trip. Of course its all dependent on if I have the money to go. But something tells me that now that I have the days off I will find a way to make it happen. :D
            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
            – E. B. White

Comment

35 days and 6 hours.

Comment

15 days, 05 hours, 24 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                  15 days, 05 hours, 24 minutes.
                  What are you counting down to? I don't remember if it is a trip or retirement.

I am 25 days until my next trip. I should probably start doing SOME planning.
                  – E. B. White

Comment

Looked this morning and there is snow on Pikes peak.
                    ...So I am likely done camping until, at least, spring next year

Enjoy!
                    Last edited by Happy Joe; 10-06-2019, 10:17 AM.
                    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                      What are you counting down to? I don't remember if it is a trip or retirement.
                      I wish it was retirement. Nope - just counting down to my week long solo trip. I haven't had a real vacation in over 10 years, so I thought I'd treat myself to one for my 60th birthday. I'm not really big on birthday celebrations and had hoped to avoid any surprise parties. But, as it turns out, my mother is super slick and managed to get a dozen people she'd never met together last week and they got me good.

Comment

I'm working on my Death Valley trip details. Have to get new tires for the trailer but can't do that until I get some money.

Was supposed to have my final pay as of Sep 10, but the office failed to send it or sent it regular mail and it got lost in transit. So I'm waiting for them to resend and to find out if they will have to pay penalties on their mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                          I wish it was retirement. Nope - just counting down to my week long solo trip. I haven't had a real vacation in over 10 years, so I thought I'd treat myself to one for my 60th birthday. I'm not really big on birthday celebrations and had hoped to avoid any surprise parties. But, as it turns out, my mother is super slick and managed to get a dozen people she'd never met together last week and they got me good.
                          Ah, well happy birthday and have a great trip.
                          – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                            Ah, well happy birthday and have a great trip.
                            Thank you. I'll try really hard.
                            Gonna be so nice to get away from humans for a while...

Comment

I know weather changes by the minute, but the long range forecast for the week I'm supposed to go is calling for rain, rain, rain, rain and... rain.
                              Don't think I'll be going.
                              Damn.

Edit: Add another day of rain AND a day of SNOW showers. Putting the trip off (tentatively) to the following week.
                              Last edited by MacGyver; 10-14-2019, 09:22 PM.

Comment

I have been trying to get out for the last couple weeks but my truck has been having problems and I didn't want to go until it got it sorted out. Turns out its the F***ing head gasket. I am having the engine rebuilt next week. Hoping to get out in March.
                                – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                                X