Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Knows what "Zrb" Means on a Battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Knows what "Zrb" Means on a Battery?

I've decided that I've been throwing too much money away using alkaline batteries and want to switch over to rechargeable versions.

One of my lights states the following:

Battery Type 3 D(Not included); Alkaline or NiMh/Zrb rechargeable

Is the "Zrb" a measurement of power or type of NiMh battery or something else?

TIA!
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Re: Anyone Knows what "Zrb" Means on a Battery?

They're zinc bromine batteries, but I don't know exactly how they stack up to other types. I would figure they've got to be a cut above NiMh (nickel metal hydride) because they pretty much suck over the long haul

Comment

Okey doky....off to research zinc bromine batteries before the work hours begin! :glasses:
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
        They're zinc bromine batteries, but I don't know exactly how they stack up to other types. I would figure they've got to be a cut above NiMh (nickel metal hydride) because they pretty much suck over the long haul

Most D and C cell Nimh batteries seem to be just repackaged AA NiMh batteries; i.e. 3 AAs in a D cell can, or one/two AA in a c cell can; as such they can be relied upon to disappoint, IMO.
        I have gotten away from D cells in all but a few lights and gone to mostly NiMh AA batteries; Japanese Eneloops if you can get genuine ones (I paid way to much for some counterfeits on a***n) Amazon branded cells appear to be OK, Maha/Imedion are good, even Harbor Freight (I figured if I'm going to get Chinese/knockoff batteries in stead of what I paid for I might as well use cheaper ones) are fair.

The medium capacity NiMh batteries (around 2000 ma hr) typically seem to stay charged on the shelf better and seem to take more recharges than the high capacity (2400+ ma hr) ones, I use both. the very high ma hr capacity batteries specs (2600 + ma hr) seem to be exaggerations (don't waste your money).

Been using all of the above for near 4 years without issues in all my devices without issue or much disappointment, except the counterfeits. Note if you are going to use NiMh batteries a good smart charger (that shuts the charger off when the batteries are charged) (not the cheap dumb chargers that come with batteries) is nearly essential.

I have no experience with Znbr batteries, the last I heard they were primarily flow type (replaceable electrolyte) batteries.

Enjoy!
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Working...
        X