Rei fyi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rei fyi

This weekend is the garage sale event. If any of you were holding off buying goodies now might be the time. They have some really good prices on some of their most popular tents.

https://www.rei.com/s/deals?ir=colle...8198616&ev11=1

I know how popular REI is among the membership here so thought I'd drop the update.

Re: Rei fyi

Thanks for the heads up!
    The man needs some new sandals.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I've been an REI member for years and somehow never thought to go to a garage sale - until now. Then I read the "rules", at least how they're done around here. You need a ticket. They're free, but you need to show up early to get one. Then, once you're finally in the door, you get 15 minutes to shop. Now I understand that they don't want a mob to rush the merchandise, but something about the 15 minute thing just doesn't sit well with me. It reeks of, "Hurry up and make your choice for these non-returnable items".

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
        I've been an REI member for years and somehow never thought to go to a garage sale - until now. Then I read the "rules", at least how they're done around here. You need a ticket. They're free, but you need to show up early to get one. Then, once you're finally in the door, you get 15 minutes to shop. Now I understand that they don't want a mob to rush the merchandise, but something about the 15 minute thing just doesn't sit well with me. It reeks of, "Hurry up and make your choice for these non-returnable items".
        No registration needed on my end, thank goodness since I don't do "Black Friday" events either; crowds annoy me.
        I'll have no need to return his sandals since he either wears them out every summer or loses one in the marsh whilst searching for his DGD's 5.00 pair. Dichotomy issues but only with love, LOL.
        2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Our REI, at least not yet, doesn't have those "rules" (tickets, time limits, etc). But it is wall to wall with folks and the line starts forming really really early.

During the sale, I've seen people setting up tents in the store to verify condition, blowing up pads, etc. I agree---15 minutes isn't very long to verify condition on something sold "as is".

I'm skipping today's sale---I really don't have a "need" for anything and it's just not worth it to me to join the mob of humanity early in the morning just to browse around.

MacGyver - you ought to go to one of their sales at least once. It is quite an experience. lol
          2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
          Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
          Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
          Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

The Denver flagship store has these rules. But not the smaller stores.
            Nights camped in 2019: 24
            Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I just checked the NYC flagship store and those rules don't apply to it either. Actually they opted out of the garage sale completely.
              Prolly explains why I do most of my REI shopping online or at the Yonkers, NY store.

One of my sisters lives near the Yonkers store so to avoid renting a car to get there or taking a commuter train, I asked her to go for me in return for a pan of lasagna. Cooking has it's advantages.
              Last edited by NYCgrrl; 03-12-2016, 09:02 AM.
              2017:

Comment

Yeah, a 15 minute time limit doesn't sound appealing to me either. It's just too much of a "we don't want you to think about what you're spending your money on, we just want you to grab everything you can". I don't like being rushed to make a decision, and I don't like companies trying to prevent me from making an informed decision.
                “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I'm gonna be the voice of strategy on this thread. And no, I was never a contestant of "Supermarket Sweeps":D.

IF a store had a 15 minute shopping limit...I'd bring as many peeps as possible and send each to a different department to pick up needs. All sorting would be done on the hellacious checkout line. We'd all have 'net friendly smartphones and make our choices based on specs and reviews. Something doesn't work for us after purchase? Bring on the CL listings.
                  Might be a good way to break into camping or add on to existing equipment.
                  2017:

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                    I'd bring as many peeps as possible and send each to a different department to pick up needs.
                    Oh - forgot to add that they also only allow 15 people in the store at the same time. It's got to be all about preventing people from acting like a fool... Sad state of affairs when we can't trust people to act civilly.

Comment

Yeah, I don't know. I'm just not that desperate to get an "amazing deal" to go through all that work for it. I'd rather get a "decent deal" and put my efforts into enjoying my purchases. But I've never been a Black Friday or close-out sale kind of person....
                      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

The REI sales in the Southwest aren't all that good of a deal, they dion't have the manufacturer's outside with a big truckload like they do at A16. There are better deals on Ebay, but like folks note above, you really do have to know what your doing and know what you're buying...
                        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I guess I should have mentioned that the website also had "garage sale" deals. No need to get off your duff or even change out of your PJ's.

Comment

Working...
                          X