Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do your Memorial Day weekend plans involve camping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do your Memorial Day weekend plans involve camping?

For as long as I can remember, I have always associated Memorial Day, July 4, and Labor Day with camping. It was strange the first year that my family did NOT camp on Memorial Day. I didn't really know what to do with myself!
    I don't have concrete plans yet, but I do know that they will involve camping and hopefully kayaking.
    What will you do with your Memorial Day weekend?

Re: Do your Memorial Day weekend plans involve camping?

This year I'll go back into old thunk MemDay plans. The Princess (DGD), man and I have a reservation at the Hay-Adam Hotel . Mornings we'll eat in the main dining room and I'll have curdled eggs every day of the weekend. Because I dream of that stuff when not there. Then it's off to all the free museum exhibits our government affords us. Our rooms will overlook Lafayette Park so we can watch and listen to the varoom of the Rolling Thunder.
    Gosh I miss being there!

I'll be camping 4th of July and Bastille Day but still am up in the air for Labor Day.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Holiday weekends are the only weekends I avoid at all costs when it comes to camping. I really don't care for the crowded campgrounds. Aside from the increased traffic, holiday weekends usually seem to include a bunch of "part timers" who see their rare camping trips as an excuse to go out, get as wasted as possible in the woods and annoy as many people as they can. As I've mentioned before, that's one of the reasons I like winter camping so much.

Comment

I usually camp. Going to be hard this one, I won't have my little girl to camp with.
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I avoid camping during Memorial/Independence/Labor Day weekends. Just a little too crazy for me.
          2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
          Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
          Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
          Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I guess I should have added that when I camp over the holidays, I am either in a cabin in the middle of nowhere (my camp) or at one of a few relatives that own land. When I was young, I loved going to the campgrounds because of all the people and activities, but now I much prefer to be smack dab in the middle of nowhere.

Comment

I try not to camp on the holidays. Like others, I prefer more of the solitude that you can't get on the holidays. But sometimes a clipper rally falls on the holiday and I'll attend - but that's not really camping.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I camp during the holidays only because I get an additional night out without using up vacation time from work. Yes the crowds can be a pain but I do the best I can to just deal with it. I usually go to the same place(State Park) and have camped there so much that the ranger and I are on a first name basis. He actually gave me his personal cell phone number along with his state issued number. Tells me to call if there is ever any problems.

Comment

Like most others here, not only do I NOT get to take off holidays, but I also generally prefer to camp when others do not.
                  2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

I really like camping, I really hate crowds...I camp holiday weekends so we (including old friends) can get together, primarily.
                    Hating crowds, I usually leave a day or two ahead of time; lets me get the primo spot for the group & gives me a day or day and a half of good camping before the neighborhood arrives.

Depending on who shows (usually around one in four or five that says they are going to holiday camp actually does so) I may stay an extra couple of days after the idjuts (with their toy vehicles, guns and loud music) leave or leave a half day early, to avoid the traffic.. the wild life (critters) usually start to come out of hiding between 2 and 5 in the afternoon after the idjuts leave.

Camping was better in the days before you could buy a capable off road vehicle and most were a better class of people (those who were smart, capable and caring enough to build their own).

Enjoy!
                    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Since we still have a chance of freezing temps Memorial Day weekend and camp with two little ones, we don't start camping until later in the season. In past years I've even tried the first or second weekend of June and still ended up with kid-sicles in the early morning. LOL!
                      Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

I tend to agree with the others that have posted. Traditional campgrounds resemble Grand Central Station too much for us on those weekends. But, we are hoping to get out and spend a couple nights in a nearby national forest for some dispersed camping and hiking over the Memorial Day weekend.
                        Nights camping in 2014: 18
                        Nights camping in 2015: 24
                        Nights camping in 2016: 20

North Face Tadpole 23 - Mountain Hardwear Casa 6 - Guide Gear 18x18 Teepee

Comment

For the past 5 years our group has camped on a friends land in Iowa. He has 40 acres of woods along a River. He has built an off grid cabin he spends time in during the year. He carved out about 10 campsites for friends to use. Great fun and no crowds.

Comment

Sounds really nice!
                            2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Bluestar99, this sounds awesome! My favorite camping experiences are with friends in the middle of nowhere along a river. My husband and I go camping in July with friends. We canoe all day Saturday, camp out along the river, and canoe the rest of the way on Sunday. I hope you have as much fun as we always do.

Comment

Working...
                              X