Coleman Propan Stove Repair/Retrofit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coleman Propan Stove Repair/Retrofit

We bought a used Coleman propane stove at a thrift store. We paid a few dollars for it as it was part of "fill up a box deal". It does not have the pressure regulator. We want to use a small propane cylinder (not the green gas bottles).

What parts do I need? Where do you buy the mini cylinders?

Thanks,

Mark
    Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
    sigpic

Re: Coleman Propan Stove Repair/Retrofit

An interesting project, but I'm not sure what you mean by "mini cylinder". Are you talking about the canisters typically carried for backpacking stoves? In any event, I would advise caution when attempting to use a type of compressed gas fuel on a stove not designed for it. The are different fuel mixes, the pressure can be different and the generator on the stove might not be compatible with the fuel you're thinking about using.

Edit: Glad you brought this up. It got me looking for various adapters which took me to this company on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/G-WORKS/b/ref=...se-bin=G-WORKS

By some of the descriptions (a bit of Engrish), it appears to be an Asian company, but the products look well made. I've now got two adapters in my Save for Later list.
    Last edited by MacGyver; 12-26-2015, 03:49 PM.

Comment

By mini cylinders I suspect you are talking about refillables that are less than the standard 20 pound pig.
      I saw them last at camping world but they were way over priced.
      You might try Lowes or Home depot (I got a 10 pounder there once).
      I see that Lowes has a 4.25 pounder advertised. You may have to wait for camping/grilling season to get one at a brick and mortar store.
      I see that there is a good selection on amazon.

Note; it would be a good idea to verify that your local propane tank filler will refill small tanks (I often have to tell the check out person to divide the 20 pound price by 2 for a 10 pounder).
      Locally I get 20 pounders filled for around $13... the tank exchanges are a rip off, IMO.

The last time that I needed a regulator I just grabbed one off the shelf at a local hardware/farm store then got a hand tightenable tank fitting (propane grill acme nut).
      If I recall correctly propane hoses are recommended to be Teflon lined (rubber air hose seems to rot and give off jet clogging particles).... a filter is a good thing
      Be aware that many bulk tank adapters/hoses do not include a regulator.
      I prefer a regulator on propane appliances as I like the concept of a low pressure hose.

Enjoy!
      Last edited by Happy Joe; 12-27-2015, 11:16 AM.
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

All good info.
        Last edited by cunningman; 12-27-2015, 01:33 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

Working...
        X