Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tarpology

Two tarpology questions:

Where is a good place to get myself educated on using tarps, especially for car camping? I have watched a few youtube videos, but wouldn't mind some text with drawings.

Who makes a tarp that doesn't sacrifice strength or durability for being lightweight? Since I'm car camping with a 3/4 ton pickup with a cap, I'm not so willing to make sacrifices for weight- or volume-saving. I want something really durable. I'm aware of the Kelty and MSR tarps, and know I can use generic tarps, but does anyone make something using heavier cloth than the typical backpacking tent, with plenty of tie-off options?

Re: Tarpology

The only tarps I am familiar with are made for U/L backpacking. I know the generic tarps to which you refer come in different weight fabrics, some of which are quite heavy and last for years. Also I think you can still buy canvas tarps. If you want more tie-off options, buy a pack of grommets and put them where you want them.
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

The common blue (maybe green or brown) tarps that you see in most stores aren't heavy enough to last and tend to break down from UV light way too fast for my taste. I haven't found any local suppliers for the tarps I use, so all my purchases have been online and usually from this site: http://www.mytarp.com/silver-tarps.aspx I've bookmarked five tarp companies but they have the consistently best prices on stock tarps.

They do cost a bit more than some, but they're heavy duty and the color tends to reflect rather than absorb light and heat. As I've mentioned elsewhere on here, some of my tarps are easily more than 5 years old whereas the blue economy tarps I used to use never lasted more than a year or two, three tops. If you have a fat wallet, you could even move up to a 10 ounce vinyl tarp. I just got a quote from www.tarpsupply.com on a custom 16 x 24 vinyl tarp with D rings instead of grommets and a reinforced hem around the perimeter. $385 is a little steep for me right now, but I have a 10 ounce vinyl groundsheet made from the same tarp material and I can easily see me buying it one day in the not too distant future.

All that to say, there are a lot of online stores selling all kinds of tarps. Hit up Google or Bing, see what different companies have to offer and I'm sure you'll find something to fit your needs and your budget.
      Last edited by MacGyver; 12-21-2015, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Check farm stores. You can find various size tarps and heavier duty. Canvas etc.
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I personally have been looking at the DD 3x3 tarp. I like it more than the 9x9 Kelty Noah.
          http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/dd_tarp_mc
          Nights camped in 2019: 24
          Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
            Check farm stores. You can find various size tarps and heavier duty. Canvas etc.
            Very true. Tractor Supply and Rural King have good tarps. Ollie's Bargain Barn also has some of the nicer tarps for a good price. i am fortunate to have all three stores in my county.
            - Laura
            Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Used a sil-nilon tarp for years, until it finally fell apart.

Since I rarely backpack any more the tarps are all either blue or silver (a blue tarp exposed to the weather and sun continuously can be expected to come apart/turn to strings within a couple of years).
              I have seen very little difference in blue tarps, some of the silver tarps seem to be a bit better than others.
              Since I have a local Harbor Freight store, I typically pick them up there on sale or with a coupon.
              For intermittent camping use pretty much any tarp should last for years.

A note; if you add grommets try to get brass ones as the yellow colored steel ones can rust pretty quickly.
              In the field the old stick an acorn (or acorn sized rock) in a gather of tarp and tie a string/550 cord around it works well to tie it to a stake or tree between grommets or to pull sagging sides away from a centerline.

Our most common uses are as a rain/sun shelter, tent groundsheet and canopy walls (or partial walls).
              When attaching them to a canopy frame double sided Velcro (sold either as Velcro one-wrap or in larger rolls from H/F)... stuck through a grommet hole and wrapped around the frame works pretty well.

Enjoy!
              2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
              For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
              Ground tents work best for me, so far.
              Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Working...
              X