Buddy Heater inquiries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Buddy Heater inquiries

I only use propane when camping, but then I use it a lot...

Propane fridge (but I don't run it while driving - that's why they have a 12v setting).
    Propane water heater (turn it on when I get to my site, turn it off when I leave).
    Propane stove and oven (I really love fresh baked chocolate chip cookies before bed).
    And my Little Buddy propane heater (maybe this winter California will get cold enough to use it)
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I occasionally use a buddy heater with either a 10 pound or 20 pound tank (cheaper than the one pounders if you use it often or for longer than 4 to 6 hours per can, at least if you get the tanks refilled... not certain if its cheaper if the tank is exchanged). Warming the tent before entering, or getting out of the sleeping bag makes it easier; or at least less goose bumpy.
      I keep the tanks outside the tent and run a hose to the heater; the tanks have a pressure relief valve that can vent if they are full and become heated (never had a partially full one vent that I know of).
      I second the concerns about sleeping with an oxygen consuming device running, avoid it.
      Be aware that some heaters with low oxygen shutoffs have issues running at higher altitudes.

Enjoy!
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Thanks again to All for the replies. After thinking it over, I'll probably stick to the 1 pound cans. If I find that we are camping a lot in cold/cool weather, I'd consider getting the adapter and having the 20 pound tank outside the tent. However, it's not likely we'll camp that often in cold weather. Also, most of the campgrounds have access to electricity, and I have a very nice small electric space heater that could be used. I just would prefer to be "electrically independent" from 120v power when camping, as much as possible. - Ted

Comment

One problem with propane tanks kept outside, is at a certain low temp, they lose efficiency and can become hard to run or light.
          Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Bigdog57, thanks for the tip!

Comment

I have had nothing but problems with my Buddy Heater. The pilot light wouldn't stay on after holding it down the recommended time or longer. I have contacted customer service and they have sent me another one overnight . Hope this one works better.

Comment

I've never owned an actual buddy heater. however, i do do storage auctions to keep my money up while on the road. and have run into at least 50 broken buddies. Personally, though i realize that the average user isn't a genius nor do they take good care of things (especially looking at their storage unit.) I don't think that kind of failure rate is good enough for me. So i use other things. depending on how cold it is, and what size im heating. i have 3 heaters that i use in my conversion van, aside from the front and rear vehicle heater, since i run my gas guzzler as little as possible.

1 candle heater, (you've probably seen it on facebook or youtube) it doesn't do much, but it will take the edge off of a slightly chilly not so windy night.

2 single burner camp stove. I know it's not it's intended purpose, but it works, and it's fairly efficient, $5 for 2 2.5lb bottles, and each one lasts about a week worth of heating (approx 40 hours.) this is good for nights where it's 30-40 degrees, and windy.

3 blue flame fire place. this one i picked up at home depot, it's designed for 200-300 sq ft, the van is only 60sqft. however on a very cold night, anything under 30, or extremely windy. this thing puts out. it's forced air, so i don't have to worry about parts breaking, and it runs on propane or natural gas. obviously i run propane. a 20lb tank ($16-22 refill,) will last me 36 hours of heating. though it doesn't take long to heat up the van. however this heater does require ventilation, thankfully my conversion windows are tilt windows, so i can have a small vent, without modifications.

Comment

I work out of town and live in an RV from Monday through Friday so I use a lot of propane. My tanks are on the tongue of the trailer and except for a molded plastic cover are exposed to the elements. I have used propane in a temperature range from over 110 degrees in south Texas to single digits in NW Arkansas and have never had a problem with the supply. The tanks were exposed to the afternoon sun in south Texas and when temps passed 110 the tanks never vented due to high pressure and then in Arkansas when the temps dropped into the single digits I never had a problem with the propane not vaporizing. However, that was using 30 and 40# tanks. Also I have used my gas grill at home when temperatures were below freezing and never had a problem with it either and that was using a 20# tank. I have never used the 1# cans of propane in cold weather so I can't vouch for them and they may not operate like the bigger tanks.

Comment

I once had some trouble getting my Big Buddy to light so I use compressed air to blow out the area around where the pilot light is and it's been problem free ever since. I do know you need to keep catalytic heaters clean. The ceramic pads are prone to contamination and the pilot light and low oxygen sensor can get fouled. There are more than a few videos people have posted online showing how they fixed various problems with the Mr Heaters.

Comment

I believe the Mr Buddys only use a regulator in connection to a 20lb tank. If you use the 1lb canisters, there is no pressure regulator. That would affect its operation in extreme cold/hot temps.
                      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

This winter my three Buddy heaters have all shown the same problem, leading me to believe it is NOT a problem with the heaters. Basically, the one pound canisters are not lasting as long as they did last winter. I am now getting only five hours of runtime on one canister and ten hours on two canisters. This makes the already expensive heating fuel even more expensive. This is with Coleman brand one pound canisters. Need to try other brands to see if they are as apparently sort-filled as the Colemans.
                        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Lack of runtime is the primary reason that I went to 10 or 20 pound tanks and avoid the buddy heater (unless portability is more important) in favor of thermostatically controlled propane heaters.
                          About the only thing Buddy Heaters have going for them is portability (a handle) and a some what slick looking design, IMO.... though they were good folks to deal with on the phone.

Enjoy!
                          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                          Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally Posted by NYCgrrl
                            Completely and totally clueless about the use of propane in most any use, shape or form.
                            Originally posted by terasec View Post
                            propane=heat
                            heat is good

Never saw this until today. Ya make me giggle even at this late date!:D
                            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Working...
                            X