Sleep Pad Comparison: Fox Outfitters vs Klymit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleep Pad Comparison: Fox Outfitters vs Klymit

In response to a query by A65hoosier, I am starting this thread on 2 sleep pads that I have recently purchased. Next weekend we will be putting them to actual use so I will update this after that trip. Here is what we know so far:

The first is the Ultralight Series Self Inflating Mattress Pad by Fox Outfitters.

http://www.foxoutfitters.com/ultrali...ting-mattress/

The Fox Website lists it at $79.00 but I got it for $50 and I still see it at this price. It comes with it's own stuffsack and repair kit integrated within the stuffsack. It is "rapid-rise, open cell foam in a diamond pattern" with an "abrasion-resistant base fabric". I purchased the Regular sized pad and it's advertised dimensions inflated are 1.5"x 20"x 72" and has an R-Value of 3.2. It is roughly 10 x 7 rolled up and stuffed in the sack and weighs approximately 26 oz.

The second is the Static V Lightweight Sleeping Pad by Klymit.

http://www.klymit.com/index.php/prod.../static-v.html

It lists a retail price of $59.95 but I also got this one for $50. It also comes with it's own stuffsack and repair kit within the stuffsack. According to the Klymit website, the design of this pad uses "body mapping technology" featuring "V-chamber design which limits air movement and heat loss while offering a uniquely ergonomic body map optimized for comfort and performance." This pad must be inflated the old-fashioned way with 10 - 15 breaths. Advertised inflated dimensions are 2.5" x 23"x 72" and has an R-Value of 1.3. It packs down to 3" x 8" and weighs in at 18.1 oz.

I was torn between which of these pads to purchase so I got both. The Fox did self-inflate fairly well the first time in about 15 minutes. I ended up adding a breath or two. My wife thought this one was OK but thought it was too narrow for her tastes. She actually preferred the Klymit for comfort in our living room floor test over the Fox. The Klymit is 3" wider and about an inch thicker. It is also lighter and packs smaller. The Fox on the other hand self-inflates and has a higher R-Value.

More to come after putting it to actual use next weekend.

Re: Sleep Pad Comparison: Fox Outfitters vs Klymit

Hey Force - do report back on your experiences. Really two different styles of pads.
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I have used many kind of sleeping pads over the past five decades of active camping.

The very best camp sleeping pad by far without any close competitor is the Exped 9 down filled sleeping pad. It is comfortable, durable, warm, packs small and packs lite. I use mine for camping on top of snow and ice and even rocks. I sleep like a baby every time.

It even has it's own built in air pump.

Costs a little more than $200. If you don't need really high insulating R-value, then you can go with the versions with less down that are less expensive. If you car camp where size and weight is not an issue, Exped has synthetic fill versions that are cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Force10JC View Post

It is roughly 10 x 7 rolled up and stuffed in the sack and weighs approximately 26 oz.
        Heh, "Ultralight Series", indeed! But I am curious to see your results.
        2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

So I just got back and we had a blast as usual. I spent an equal amount of time napping or sleeping on both sleep pads and below is my opinion of them.

I spent the first night on the Fox Outfitters Ultralight. It wasn't bad in the hammock. On the tent floor it was not that comfortable and I had a lot of issues staying on it. Prepping it for sleeping was super easy though.

The Klymit Static V was moderately more comfortable and I had a bit more luck staying on it while I slept. The Fox was easier to inflate but this really wasn't anything crazy unless you have breathing issues to begin with. I didn't spend anytime in the hammock with the Klymit Static V. Of note it is a thicker pad than the Fox Outfitter's Ultralight. This could be an issue in a hammock or perhaps not. I will update if I remember to try it in the hammock on the next trip.

The Fox Outfitters Ultralight is a bit heavier and packs about 2 x larger than the Klymit StaticV. If you are a backpacker, I suspect this is significant. This is even more significant when you realize the Klymit is 3" wider than the Fox. However, if you need more R-Value, the Fox rating is 2.5 x higher.

Overall, I would go with the Klymit Static V unless you really need the R-Value. Neither are great on comfort in my opinion. Though I am sure we will continue to use them both in certain situations, I will continue looking for the perfect camp sleep pad.
          Last edited by Force10JC; 10-13-2015, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X