Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: rain collection

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
    Rainwater can be contaminated BEFORE it hits the ground. Acid rain is a perfect example of that.

Is the contamination enough to be concerned about? Probably not, but that doesn't mean it is always pure distilled water.

I would treat the rainwater for potable purposes. If there are trees, then the water collected could include run-off from those trees. In addition, the outdoors is full of stuff that could get inside the container which in turn could contaminate the water. I'd rather treat unnecessarily, than not treat and find out I should have treated.
    SHENANIGANS! I assure you, rainwater is distilled water and about the purest available anywhere. Rain is only polluted when it mixes with pollution that is on the ground. Rain does not deliver pollution, it can only make it worse by spreading pollutants on the ground into solution. You are helping to perpetuate a myth that is not supported by scientific evidence. I humbly ask you to check your sources.

"Remember the big “acid rain” scare during the 1970s and 1980s attributing damage to lakes and forests to emissions from Midwestern utilities? If so, did you ever hear the results of a more than half-billion-dollar, 10-year-long national Acid Precipitation Assessment Program study that was initiated in 1980 to research the matter?
    Probably not.
    As it turned out, those widespread fears proved to be largely unfounded, since only one species of tree at a high elevation suffered any notable effect, and acidity in lakes was traced to natural causes. The investigating scientists reported that they had “turned up no smoking gun; that the problem is far more complicated than it been thought; that other factors combine to harm trees; and that sorting out the cause-and-effect was difficult and in some cases impossible.”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybel...-pouring-down/
    Last edited by tplife; 11-06-2015, 04:03 PM.
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

There IS such a thing as acid rain - just because people went all psycho with it doesn't mean there's no truth behind it. To say rain water cannot be compromised is another simplistic response.

Also, if you'll re-read my post, you'll notice I pointed out far more common ways for rain water to become polluted BEFORE it hits the ground - such as when it comes down through trees. If the rain has to fall through the trees to get to your collection device, then what was on that tree can get pulled in right with the water.

As for the tarp - I see that like the 5 second rule: if I know what's been on that floor, then I might not worry about the runoff. But, if there's a chance it's had bird doo on it and not been sanitized, then i'm not going to be drinking what comes off it.

I'm not a clean freak or germophobic, but bird poo can last through a few minutes of rain and then start disintegrating with the run off.
      Last edited by toedtoes; 11-06-2015, 05:28 PM.
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

For me bacteria from bird droppings is the only concern with collecting rain water on a tarp or coming through trees. And storage of rain water when crud might have a chance to start growing. I've known since school the constitutes of acid rain are just minute amounts of nitrite, nitrate, sulfite and sulfate, and actually in food and drinks both naturally and as additives for nutrition and preservation. Maybe in a big city with elevated levels of pollution or in the cloud of a volcano would need to worry about drinking the rain water and wonder if even be able to taste anything. It would be hazardous to breathe air long before it would ever taint the rain. Look at the levels of chlorine in tap water that is considered safe. Chlorine can be very toxic and corrosive. Acid rain in the US is a problem in sensitive habitats where very slight changes in PH can cause changes in the life cycle and over extended time can cause accelerated corrosion to steel, marble and concrete. It's not as bad since the 70's as there's more regulation on the amount of pollution industry can emit and we have emission control in most states. One of the places I camp has well water and is in a historic gold mining district with known geological tests showing elevated levels of arsenic but it tastes great and the people that live there drink it all the time and aren't walking around dead as far as I can tell.

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
          There IS such a thing as acid rain - just because people went all psycho with it doesn't mean there's no truth behind it. To say rain water cannot be compromised is another simplistic response.

Also, if you'll re-read my post, you'll notice I pointed out far more common ways for rain water to become polluted BEFORE it hits the ground - such as when it comes down through trees. If the rain has to fall through the trees to get to your collection device, then what was on that tree can get pulled in right with the water.

As for the tarp - I see that like the 5 second rule: if I know what's been on that floor, then I might not worry about the runoff. But, if there's a chance it's had bird doo on it and not been sanitized, then i'm not going to be drinking what comes off it.

I'm not a clean freak or germophobic, but bird poo can last through a few minutes of rain and then start disintegrating with the run off.
          Uh, no, science is a thing that we have to back up with evidence, proof, integrity. There is NO SCIENTIFIC PROOF BEHIND IT. Backstopping with nothing more than my own degree and 35 years of professional scientific application, I must assure you darling that...Okay, admittedly, I'm just a grunt with 3 publications and not much more than a boss who won the Nobel Prize, just sayin'...But, as long as rainwater doesn't touch anytthing, it's distilled water. Truthfully! :penguin:
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
          X