Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trashing National Forests

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story/...rest/72392102/

This is crazy. It's one thing to live in the forest, but to drag all of society's junk there is insane.

A couple of years ago they had a massive clean-up of a Ocala National Forest in Florida. There were entire communities of criminals and meth makers living there. I think they have it pretty well under control now, but sad this can happen.

The forest I live a few miles from, Osceola National Forest, has not had any reported problems. I still am not comfortable going there anymore other than the developed campgrounds.

Re: Trashing National Forests

Jeezy weezy! When you look at the photo of the trash it's just horrible. Took a 48 person team to get it all out and it seems that given the amount of time he lived there he was bring the trash with him. I'm so glad he'll be getting mental health treatments in prison.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Depending on what his mental health issues are, 6 months in prison and a year of probation seems like a slap on the hand.

Comment

If he was an illegal alien, you wouldn't even see this story in coverage. Large areas of our National Forests are used for marijuana cultivation, with plant destruction, pesticides, booby traps, and plenty of trash left behind. Because of the remoteness, danger and criminal management of these growing plots, little law enforcement action is taken, and the crimes don't fit the media agenda.
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
          If he was an illegal alien, you wouldn't even see this story in coverage. Large areas of our National Forests are used for marijuana cultivation, with plant destruction, pesticides, booby traps, and plenty of trash left behind. Because of the remoteness, danger and criminal management of these growing plots, little law enforcement action is taken, and the crimes don't fit the media agenda.

This is only shocking to those who think the mountains of CO are like the old pristine movies they saw. Here transit's are allowed to live in the national forests. If they start hanging out in the front range cities and bothering people, then the USFS and sheriff's go in and destroy their shanty towns. It seems the USFS, sheriff's and local cops have to come to an agreement that as to keep them out of the cities, they let them take over the National Forests. I know about the 14 day limit, but it isn't enforced.
          Last edited by 05Kingquad700; 09-19-2015, 10:34 AM.
          Nights camped in 2019: 24
          Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

that's awful, but sadly i see it everywhere, and do what i can to change that. i pick up trash on hiking trails, often bring an empty back pack, or just one with some water and a snack in it, and fill it up with trash before i've left. i also find waterways to be a huge issue. though i understand that people probably aren't dumping their soda cans in the water fall, they may be dumping them in the lake before it, and they just get caught there. I kayak a lot, and often fill up my boat with other people's trash before i'm out of the water. last year i picked $23 worth of recyclable cans out of a local river. this year, i haven't taken it in yet because rates have plummeted.

Comment

Manduke - submerged cans and bottles are a blessing in disguise. Fishes such as madtoms make homes out of them. I found a really rare madtom once in a Sobe bottle.
              2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
              X