• Show
Clear All

• What does this sign mean?

Click image for larger version

Name:	The Sign.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	72858

I don't know if this is the right forum or not but I would like as many people as possible to see this because I haven't found anyone who knows what this means. If this is the wrong forum, please direct me to the correct one. And thanks for all your help in advance,

Thanks,

Mich

Re: What does this sign mean?

Where was this sign posted? Was it posted on or within a structure?

Comment

No cattle allowed with a C T brand?

Comment

Do not use building as a toilet? A picture of the surrounding area around the sign might be of some help.

Comment

If it was near a hiking trail, it might mean there is no registration book at the trailhead.
          Moss Big Dipper
          Alaskan Guide 8
          Alaskan Guide 6
          NorthFace Tadpole 23
          ALPS Exteme 3
          Six Moon Designs Lunar Two

Comment

Sorry, I can't provide better context- it's on display at a local bar and its meaning is a closely guarded secret. The hints that I have been given was that it was found on a camping/hiking trip in upstate NY (this may be incorrect) in the late eighties/early nineties. The upper part of the symbol under the slash looks like a trial/picnic shelter symbol but I don't get the vertical line underneath. My guess is that a veteran park ranger, forestry official or some one in that field might know but I'm guessing most people under 40 won't even if they hike or camp a lot.

I appreciate the replies and if you're curious as well, spread it around. I've been clueless for almost twenty years and someone reopened the scab and revealed the itch again. There's no real gain; I just really want to know.

Comment

The top half looks like a typical shelter symbol. I'm not sure about the vertical line coming from it. I have not been able to find it with my online research, but my best guess would be ... NO LATRINE.

Comment

Now I need to know. You would really think if they didn't want people doing something, they would make it more clear what that something was.

How are you guys coming up with the toilet / latrine ideas? Nothing about this says toilet to me. The closest I came to that is Google Images came up with a "no peeing" symbol, but looks nothing like this.

Comment

Originally posted by CMPR1966 View Post
                  The top half looks like a typical shelter symbol. I'm not sure about the vertical line coming from it. I have not been able to find it with my online research, but my best guess would be ... NO LATRINE.
                  After your input, I would make a wild guess at no erected shelter or perhaps no above ground shelter.
                  Last edited by Force10JC; 09-15-2015, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Force10JC View Post
                    After your input, I would make a wild guess at no erected shelter or perhaps no above ground shelter.
                    Ah, I see what you mean now. Not being a hiker, it took me awhile to even figure out how this was the symbol for shelter. Now I can see that the top looks like those 3-sided shelters along trails.

If this is at a trail head, maybe it means that there are no shelters available on the trail? Although still not sure about the stick coming out of it.

The photo needs to be put in context. Location, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMama View Post
                      Now I need to know. You would really think if they didn't want people doing something, they would make it more clear what that something was.
                      I kinda thought the same thing.

Originally posted by MountainMama View Post
                      The photo needs to be put in context. Location, etc.
                      Definitely. If only to improve our guesses - lol. Although some seem plausible.

I have no idea what the heck that symbol means. Agree with CMPR...nothing I could find via various searches.
                      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I think you have stumped a lot of people with this one. Please let us know if you find out what it means.

Comment

My first thought was, no elevated hunting blinds. I skimmed through almost 700 pages of this:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...prd3810021.pdf

And, the closest I saw was a resemblance to a shelter, or information station.

Is this sign from an area outside of the U.S.? Or, possibly on a privately owned recreational area? No matter where it is, it looks to be home made.

David

Comment

I tried a reverse image search, about a dozen and a half search terms for images and I'm stumped. LOL

Comment

my first thought was "no wrenching"... (or no auto work).
                              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Working...
                              X