Headlamp recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlamp recommendations

This summer I introduced my wife to fishing for catfish. Been a long time since I done it. We stay out till late at night. Well she loves it and thought a headlamp might help her out. Any recommendations. Something middle of the road as far as quality and price. Thanks

Re: Headlamp recommendations

I have the Princeton Tec Remix. Small, lightweight and no complicated click patterns to remember like there are on some lamps. I had a couple of Walmart specials before that (like Coleman) but the switches kept dying on me. Amazon's got 'em starting at just over $25. Units with color LEDs cost a bit more.

Comment

I have owned a few headlamps in my day. When not camping, I often use them around the house or for night time chores like going out back to the woodpile at night when it's time to bring in a few more logs for the fireplace. They are handy (no pun intended) to have around.

Currently I use/own a Black Diamond Storm. My wife and son use Black Diamond Spots. These go with us on every trip and generally our go to lamps. These are good headlamps. Decent spot light, decent flood light (good for around camp), and an ok red lamp (although not bright enough for me). All modes of lighting are adjustable from bright to very dim. It also has a "lockout" feature which prevents the light from coming on in your backpack should something press against the ON button.

I also occasionally use a Snow Peak Snow Miner headlamp. It does serve a dual purpose because it can be either a headlamp with a focused beam...or it can be converted to a lantern and provide a nice flood style light. I got it with very decent discount via Sierra Trading Post and was hoping it would provide the warm yellow incandescent colored light similar to the Snow Peak Hozuki lanterns I own...but the light from the Snow Miner has more of the bright white/blue tone. Oh well. I still bring it along -although I get some funny looks when I wear it (take a look at it-it either looks like a big pimple or a woman's body part-right there on your forehead. lol). It is a good conversation piece..."what the he** kind of lamp is on your head?".

I still have a few Coleman headlamps. They are fairly old with scratched lenses, etc. Still work, but like everything else, LED technology has improved much since I purchased these so they have been relegated to back-up only duty. I keep one of the Coleman's in each of our car's gloveboxes.

Any of the major brands will have a headlamp that will suit your needs and your budget. Look at Black Diamond, Petzel, Princeton Tec, Fenix, etc. Watch the weight with batteries, the headband used, battery type/placement, switch and mode access, spot/flood/red mode availability or all three, etc. Since you are planning on using them while catfishing...I would take a look for a lamp with a good red beam.

This review is somewhat aged, but could provide you with some information on features and considerations to take into account when looking for a headlamp. They all have some differences...just like tents. lol
      http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Best-Headlamp
      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the info.

Comment

best headlamp I have is a rayovac $10 headlamp
          has red setting that comes up first so don't have to flick through white let to get to it and lose your night vision

Comment

I do like lamps with a red option. I like to study constellations and stuff, and a red light is de rigeur.
            2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

My favorite headlamps are the cheap Chinese units that use 2 18650 lithium batteries. Available on eBay for $12-$16. Intensely bright. too bright actually if you can imagine that. The one I use most is supposed to be 1800 lumens on high. I rarely use the high setting. It's just too bright unless you need to light up the canyon wall across the river.
              I've got another that has a focus-able beam which is just as bright. I've also have a Coleman 100 lumen model was $29 new years ago, I think they are much cheaper now. It is powered by 3 AAA batteries. 100 lumens is a bit low for me other than working around camp that is already lit up with lanterns.
              The main reason I like the cheap Chinese units is for the 18650 battery use. These are the lithium-ion cells used to make power tool and laptop battery packs. Individually they are 3-4 volts and pack more power for mass than any other type of battery. The best ones can hold 2500mAh. You can get them cheap or free from people who recycle battery packs or buy new ones online. Don't buy the crappy Ultra-Fire batteries that claim up to 5000mAh. It's BS. I've tested many and the best any of these have been is 900mAh. The best 18650s I've reclaimed have been the blue-green Samsungs. Even after years of use in a laptop pack many still hold over 2100mAh.
              What really makes 18650 cells the ultimate camping batteries is the voltage is just right for 5V USB charging circuits so charging can be ultra efficient with a folding 5V solar panel. This is best done using a Tomo brand power bank. It's the only unit I've found that is meant to be opened to access and use the batteries as well as serve as a power pack for charging USB devices. It functions with 1 to 4 cells in it. 4 top of the line 18650s will give you a whopping 10 amp hours of power in a pack that weight just a few ounces which will give you multiple charges to your cell phone and many hours of power for headlights, flashlights (they also make Cree LED flashlights that use 18650s) , and any other USB powered devices such as mini fans. Folding panel and Tomo power bank with 4 batteries weighs about 2 lbs. Backpackers rejoice.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X