Camping Hatchet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping Hatchet

Anyone want to recommend a camping hatchet? I have my eye on this one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

Re: Camping Hatchet

I say get it!
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Force10 - I have looked at that exact hatchet and still can't quite give up my old axe. I've found that a smallish axe works better for me (and is safer) around the campsite for chopping logs or large chunks of wood into smaller pieces/kindling than a hatchet. Even can pound tent stakes if necessary by choking up on the handle.
      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I have heard good things about the fishes x11 and x7.
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

If the question is "is that a good axe", the answer is "no" that is not a good axe. It will hack sticks apart, but it will not be useful for other things like carving wood. That might sound ridiculous until you own a good quality blade and realise what a fantastic tool they can be. A woodsman with a good axe will choose his axe first over all other tools or equipment. A good axe blade can sustitute for a knife, but not visa versa.

The better blades are hand forged, often in Sweden. Famous and recognised brand would include Gransfors Bruk. A better priced fine tool is Husqvarna. There are others. All will be around $100 or more. You will never lose an axe like that because it will be precious to you.

The old timers said that a man with a good axe can go into the forest with only his axe and come out driving a wagon with a team of horses.

I would advise against a short handled hatchet. The uses are too limited and you will soon find its limitations. A better choice would be a middle weight, mid length Hudson Bay style. Sometimes called a forest axe.

Hatchet are dangerous to people who do not know how to use them and to those who do not respect them. This is why owning a good tool is often safer. When a good tool hits wood, it bites the wood instead of bouncing or glancing off. Youtube has many good axe reviews and instructional videos. I encourage you to explore them.

Buy an axe sharpening stone while you are at it.

Here is a nice hand forged forest axe from Husqvarna for $79.00 thanks to today's strong dollar.
          http://www.sherrilltree.com/400_35711.jpg
          Last edited by Mike; 08-07-2015, 04:24 PM.

Comment

That Estwing was what I carried for years. I later moved up to the rubber handled version that's about half a foot longer. They're both great for chopping up kindling and hammering in tent pegs and I love the fact that they've got a solid metal shaft which means no broken handles or loose heads. The leather handle looks great, the rubber handle is a bit easier on the hands.

I definitely agree with Mike about keeping an axe sharp. A dull axe that bounces around can be more dangerous than one that actually bites into wood.

Comment

Mike - thank you for a good post and the sharing of information. You said clearly what I was clumsily trying to say. There was a thread here on the forum a while back where the pro/cons of hatchets vs axes was discussed. I think you chimed in on that thread also - but for the life of me I couldn't locate that thread earlier doing a forum search.

Oh, and I'd love one of those Gransfors (best), or even a Husqvarna (better), but I just can't seem to part with my old axe (good). I keep it sharp and it still does the job.
              2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
              Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
              Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
              Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I just need something to split kindling for the campfire. The state parks I frequent do not allow chopping trees, felled or standing but do provide chopped wood for a small fee. Occasionally I might need to process it a little further than they did.

For wood carving and miscellaneous camp chores I do keep a couple of good swedish steel Mora knives. One in carbon steel and one in Sandvik stainless steel. The various sharpening stones I have should be adequate for a small camping axe but in the event they are not, I will certainly buy one that is because I am a stickler for sharp blades.

Comment

+1
                  Last edited by Mike; 08-07-2015, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                    Mike - thank you for a good post and the sharing of information. You said clearly what I was clumsily trying to say. There was a thread here on the forum a while back where the pro/cons of hatchets vs axes was discussed. I think you chimed in on that thread also - but for the life of me I couldn't locate that thread earlier doing a forum search.

Oh, and I'd love one of those Gransfors (best), or even a Husqvarna (better), but I just can't seem to part with my old axe (good). I keep it sharp and it still does the job.
                    You know, a fellow is going to fall in love with his axe or a axes no matter what. Good and bad blades, he will appreciate some character of it. Like an old farmer loves his fat old wife. He sees a beauty in her that most other folks don't see.
                    Last edited by Mike; 08-07-2015, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                      Like an old farmer loves his fat old wife.
                      My old fat wife calls me "stumpy". Thanks, Estwing!
                      2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
                      X